Finding the right game

Started by acctingman, April 20, 2016, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Quote from: steve58 on April 20, 2016, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 02:34:53 PM
Expanding on what Spelk  said, I have been curious about the strategy genre. A game like Civ 5 or similar has peak my interest, but again, I struggle with the patience thing  :uglystupid2:

Something like a Civ 5 game set in the Tolkien realm would I for sure would try!

Maybe I have exhausted my WW2 gaming needs and have to branch out. Who wuddya thunk it!  :crazy2:

There is a CivV mod for everything, including LOTR  ;)

Here's a couple links and I'm sure there must be more just a Google away

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257882191

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_of_the_Rings_(Civ5)

Very interesting!!!

Thanks steve

JasonPratt

It's important when playing R.U.S.E. to ignore the fact that it's called R.U.S.E.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 20, 2016, 03:21:36 PM
It's important when playing R.U.S.E. to ignore the fact that it's called R.U.S.E.  :buck2:

I'd just jump straight to recommending Wargame: AirLand Battle and Wargame: Red Dragon instead of that older thing.

They may not be WW2, but he should expand outwards anyway.  Especially when looking for such pretty & clicky games with tons of military equipment to play with.

panzerde

So, what makes you think you should love wargames? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but you seem to want to like them as a concept, but the nature of wargames seems to be opposite of what you actually enjoy playing. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

Also, not being a wargamer doesn't mean that you aren't a gamer of some sort. If you keep finding that the type of games you think that you should like aren't doing it for you, stop wasting your time and go find some stuff that you do like. Go grab a CRPG, or an FPS game and give those a try. Try a platformer. There's a ton of other stuff out there.

I think it's pretty tough to be a wargamer if you don't have significant interests in military history and military science. Again, I'm not saying you don't, but I think it's worth asking yourself if those are real interests of yours. Being interested in those things isn't the same as being interested in weapons, or explody things, or intense action. Those kinds of things can happen or be important in wargames, but they aren't the primary focus. (Disclaimer: I'm referring to wargames in the context of the sort of games like Tiller and Battlefront games that acctingman said he's not enjoying as a form of shorthand. I'm NOT trying to open up the never ending debate about "what's a wargame?")

I'm pretty sure you can still hang out here even if it turns out you aren't really into wargames, too.  :)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MetalDog

Quote from: panzerde on April 20, 2016, 06:00:52 PM

I'm pretty sure you can still hang out here even if it turns out you aren't really into wargames, too.  :)

It's true.  I wouldn't know a wargame if it fell on me and they let me stay.  Of course, the deal is I have to clean up after Goatfury, mirth, and Gus, but, I wouldn't mind sharing the chores :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on April 20, 2016, 07:25:42 PM
Of course, the deal is I have to clean up after Goatfury, mirth, and Gus, but, I wouldn't mind sharing the chores :)

Speaking of, I'm out of clean underwear.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 02:34:53 PM
Something like a Civ 5 game set in the Tolkien realm would I for sure would try!
There's a mod for it in the Steam Workshop, with several submods adding units, art etc... Have fun! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2016, 07:39:16 PM
Of course, the deal is I have to clean up after Goatfury, mirth, and Gus, but, I wouldn't mind sharing the chores :)

How can you be out of something you don't own?

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on April 20, 2016, 07:44:58 PM

Good point.

Gus is out of clean underwear.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2016, 07:46:13 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 20, 2016, 07:44:58 PM

Good point.

Gus is out of clean underwear.

Sounds like a job for.....Accounting Man!!!

acctingman

Is there a way to get the LoTR mod for Civ 5 if it wasn't purchased from Steam?

Bought it at a local Target for $9.99!

Thanks for the suggestions and panzerde.....your comments are appreciated. I never looked at my situation that way. I like ww2 videos.....seeing all the equipment, stats, etc....I thought that would mean I'd like ww2 games (some maybe, but not all of them)

Sir Slash

Total shot in the dark but if you like Salvatore, why not try a Hack & Slash based on one of his books? I'm particularly thinking, "Icewind Dale" series. Great games and they're dirt cheap at Great Old Games. Both simple and pretty. Just a thought.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

They are awesome. Own that and the BG series. Played them to death!  O0

bayonetbrant

Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 09:14:06 PM
Is there a way to get the LoTR mod for Civ 5 if it wasn't purchased from Steam?

Bought it at a local Target for $9.99!

Thanks for the suggestions and panzerde.....your comments are appreciated. I never looked at my situation that way. I like ww2 videos.....seeing all the equipment, stats, etc....I thought that would mean I'd like ww2 games (some maybe, but not all of them)

here's a link to a dude who has LotR mods for Civ V and one of the download options isn't Steam

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23089

there's also a ton of other mods available for all the Civ series at CivFanatics.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: panzerde on April 20, 2016, 06:00:52 PM
So, what makes you think you should love wargames? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but you seem to want to like them as a concept, but the nature of wargames seems to be opposite of what you actually enjoy playing. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

Also, not being a wargamer doesn't mean that you aren't a gamer of some sort. If you keep finding that the type of games you think that you should like aren't doing it for you, stop wasting your time and go find some stuff that you do like. Go grab a CRPG, or an FPS game and give those a try. Try a platformer. There's a ton of other stuff out there.

I think it's pretty tough to be a wargamer if you don't have significant interests in military history and military science. Again, I'm not saying you don't, but I think it's worth asking yourself if those are real interests of yours. Being interested in those things isn't the same as being interested in weapons, or explody things, or intense action. Those kinds of things can happen or be important in wargames, but they aren't the primary focus. (Disclaimer: I'm referring to wargames in the context of the sort of games like Tiller and Battlefront games that acctingman said he's not enjoying as a form of shorthand. I'm NOT trying to open up the never ending debate about "what's a wargame?")

all of this, good post sir

dont try and fit your square peg in a round hole - hope you find what you need from the Civ 5 mod - i didnt know there was such a thing, sounds very appealing

ill second the wargame series too, airland battle and red dragon and now that you mention it i think it would be cool if they went back to WW2 knowing what they know now - releasing P51s over a bridge full of germans with the new engine would be awesome