Finding the right game

Started by acctingman, April 20, 2016, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 09:14:06 PM
Is there a way to get the LoTR mod for Civ 5 if it wasn't purchased from Steam?

Bought it at a local Target for $9.99!

Thanks for the suggestions and panzerde.....your comments are appreciated. I never looked at my situation that way. I like ww2 videos.....seeing all the equipment, stats, etc....I thought that would mean I'd like ww2 games (some maybe, but not all of them)

Pretty sure CivV is Steam-only, so what you bought at Target is probably just a box with a Steam code that'll let you download the CivV game.  If you don't already have a Steam acct, you can easily set one up and its free.  Then'll you also be able to access the CivV mods there as well.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: steve58 on April 21, 2016, 06:53:33 AM
Pretty sure CivV is Steam-only, so what you bought at Target is probably just a box with a Steam code that'll let you download the CivV game.  If you don't already have a Steam acct, you can easily set one up and its free.  Then'll you also be able to access the CivV mods there as well.

Nope - I've got a non-Steam version of Civ5 :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Yeah, I've got a non-Steam version of all the Civs.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

???  Now ya got me curious.  Is the non-Steam version of Civ 5 a Mac version or did they make a non-Steam version for the PC? 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

Here's the PC Complete version. I still think you have to activate on Steam though.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: steve58 on April 21, 2016, 09:17:52 AM
???  Now ya got me curious.  Is the non-Steam version of Civ 5 a Mac version or did they make a non-Steam version for the PC? 

Obviously I have a Mac  O0

Dunno about a PC version, tho
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: rwenstrup on April 21, 2016, 06:44:08 PM
The ten best WW2 wargames on the PC article:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/war-thunder/the-10-best-world-war-2-pc-games

That is probably THE most worthless "best of" list I have ever seen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Hofstadter

Yeah unless you specifiy the genre of game with the setting. Youre list is going to...kinda suck
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Pete Dero

Quote from: glen55 on April 20, 2016, 01:24:49 PM

Company of Heroes or COH 2?

Free wee-kend (and sale) going on  http://store.steampowered.com/app/231430/

Free week-end ends this Sunday at 1pm PST; sale ends on Monday at 10am PST.

Xenophon

As Nefaro and undercovergeek already suggested I would heartily recommend Wargame: Red Dragon.

It goes on sale on steam for roughly 75% off every couple months so it won't burn a hole in ye' old pocket if you decide you don't like it. At its core it's a great game though it certainly has its problems (anyone who's played it much knows the agony of the raging storm of SMERCH spam) but it's a solid, fun RTS with incredible replayability. I should know, I've somehow put nigh 1000 hours into it.

There is only one unavoidable problem in Red Dragon and that's it's player community. They can sometimes be rather how to put it politely....caustic. Still that won't stop you from enjoying it.

As for LOTR games, if you've ever played Crusader Kings II you might want to consider checking out the Middle Earth Project for it.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ck2-middle-earth-project