ARMA or Flashpoint?

Started by DV8, June 03, 2012, 08:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

I don't like ARMA mutliplayer because so much time is wasted travelling to where the action is.  Once you get to the fight, you die quickly if not careful.

I have the ARMA X Anniversay Pack which I liked a lot.  It's got OFP, ARMA, ARMA2 with all the expansions and some bonus content.  It's ARMA heaven.

DV8

My copy of ArmA 2: Combined Operations arrives today but I will be out of town until Friday.  :'(
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

MIGMaster

I still have PTSD from playing CoD4 on the Wragmer server. I'm getting better, but it's going take time.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on June 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM
I still have PTSD from playing CoD4 on the Wragmer server. I'm getting better, but it's going take time.

It wasn't that bad!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

Yeah, sure it wasn't - how many times did you knife me  ;) I think I lost count!

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on June 05, 2012, 01:16:25 PM
Yeah, sure it wasn't - how many times did you knife me  ;) I think I lost count!

I was young and I needed the gold pieces.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

Then there were guys who could dodge bullets in a Matrix-like way - Deadskin appeared to be impossible to hit

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on June 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM

Those were great times!  I didn't even mind when I blew myself up (several times) with my own grenade. :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

ComradeP

In terms of single-player missions, I think the original ArmA is inferior to the original Operation Flashpoint. The AI had silly advantages in spotting that meant AI troops could snipe you in the middle of the night without night vision goggles. I quit playing after a couple of missions.

ArmA 2 is supposedly better, but I haven't played it. I haven't played the newest Operation Flashpoint titles either.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Gusington

OT: Quick note that I just changed 'AMRA' in the thread title to 'ARMA'.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DV8

OK, so I have several hours into ARMA and the biggest lessons thus far are stay down and move cautiously.  The learning curve is very step but rewarding once you figure things out.  I prefer to run lone wolf so I'm not bothered with squad commands.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: DV8 on June 16, 2012, 08:52:47 AM
OK, so I have several hours into ARMA and the biggest lessons thus far are stay down and move cautiously.  The learning curve is very step but rewarding once you figure things out.  I prefer to run lone wolf so I'm not bothered with squad commands.

It is quite fun when you figure it out!

Right now I am stuck I think in one of the last missions where I have to lead some units of militia to take back some towns.  I  have not got the hang of commanding that many troops, they all keep dying.  I can't do it lone wolf style because there are just to many enemy units.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

I've been playing mostly with a AI LAN game.  It's much more free form that the campaign mode.  I vote the AI as commander.

W8taminute

^Have you had any success saving the LAN game to resume at a later time?  When I tried this mode last year it took 12 minutes for the save file to load.  Once back into the game, I would experience a 50% CTDesktop rate.  I'm hoping that you have met with success?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DV8

Truthfully my ADHD has prevented me from continuing a saved game.  ;)