Main Menu

Axis Football 16

Started by 21sec, June 16, 2016, 03:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

Oh hell yea. Front Page Sports Football 96 is still the hands down best football simulation game of all time. It had everything and did it right. I miss playing that game.  :'(
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Capn Darwin on June 20, 2016, 05:24:58 PM
Oh hell yea. Front Page Sports Football 96 is still the hands down best football simulation game of all time. It had everything and did it right. I miss playing that game.  :'(

It was certainly at the top of the list...but also enjoyed NFL Pro League Football and XOR football....but FP likely will remain the king....still playable if you can grab a copy.

Nefaro

Quote from: Capn Darwin on June 20, 2016, 05:24:58 PM

I picked up a FPS Pro Football '98 disk a couple years ago.  Had to find an unpacked version of the patch for it, on the 'net, but eventually did so. 

Plays okay, but eventually crashes on me.  Usually in a team management screen.   :-\

Hoping Axis Football will get to the career/franchise point I've been looking for, at some point.  The very few of the others, done in recent years, seem to be on the way to a complete package but the developer(s) never quite push them through the finish line and take lengthy breaks from developing them.

21sec

Still playing around with the beta when time allows. Here's a short clip featuring the Franchise Mode menu screens.

Grim.Reaper

Looks like released for $20...not going to fall for it this time until I see plenty of reviews and feedback suggesting it really has advanced a great deal:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/501190/

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

After reading a couple of reviews....not something I will be investing....doesn't seem to even have penalties, substitutions, and franchise mode seems fairly shallow....I applaud the developer for sticking with it and maybe after a few more iterations it might get there, but just not my style yet.

Steelgrave

Frankly, after buying Axis Football 15 and being very disappointed, I'm not seeing enough here to justify putting any more cash into the game. While I've come to expect a franchise with a solid track record, such as OOTP, release a new (paid) version every year or so, I'm feeling a bit of "fool me once, shame on you" with Axis 16. I have purchased lots of alpha games to help fund promising projects with the hope of an eventual payoff in gaming fun, but the things I'm seeing in AF16 are what AF15 should have been. I'll save my money rather than buy Axis Football 16 only to see 17 roll around next year with promised improvements.

reapagan

Good point, but this is a one guy operation and he kind of needs the sales to flesh out a game that believe me does have a lot of potential. I have been looking at the beta and if he has the time and resources to do it right it may rival the mighty king of football sims FPS, and I don't say that lightly.

Grim.Reaper

Although it's great to see someone try a football game, just doesn't have the necessary fundamentals for me to invest in again.  Usually pretty tough for a one man show to really pull something like this off and I have serious doubts it will ever reach fps level.

Rayfer

Quote from: Con on June 16, 2016, 09:28:53 PM
Was I the only one clicking on this in morbid fascination looking for an Italian versus German or Japan versus Hungary football game? :)

Just think how offensive the football logos could be

Con

But seriously...why "Axis" football. Is there a meaning to the word I'm not getting?

Steelgrave

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 31, 2016, 01:35:51 PM
Although it's great to see someone try a football game, just doesn't have the necessary fundamentals for me to invest in again.  Usually pretty tough for a one man show to really pull something like this off and I have serious doubts it will ever reach fps level.

Had the developer spent the time to make AF15, the game we've already bought and paid for, what it should have been instead of saying "good enough" before putting time and resources into 16 and asking us to purchase a new game, I would be more positive here. I would even be open to purchasing AF16 if there was a sizable discount given for having previously bought 15. Call it an upgrade to those who have indeed supported his efforts. But to ask me to purchase a newer, "fleshed out" version when my recent purchase wasn't so hot because he needs more funds to continue development? That's kickstarter territory there.  After all, how can we (as consumers) expect 16 to be worth our cash, or will 17 or 18 be the product we're hoping for? Frankly, there is so little game to 15 I should have returned it.

And I've thought "Axis Football" was an odd choice for a name as well. It would be interesting to know what was behind the name.

Grim.Reaper

I believe the name of his company is axis games, so thinking game took the name from there...

Steelgrave

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 31, 2016, 05:33:37 PM
I believe the name of his company is axis games, so thinking game took the name from there...

Makes sense.