Gemini Wars - June 8th

Started by Jarhead0331, June 05, 2012, 06:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

I believe Anguille has.  He was a beta-tester too. 

I've been tempted to pre-order, but I decided to wait until the skirmish mode is actually added on, which the devs said would happen after release.  Purely mission-based campaigns usually don't grab me (C&C: Red Alert 2 and Homeworld being notable exceptions).  Still looking forward to it, though. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

As i'll be leaving for a business trip the next 3 weeks, i'll get the boxed version when i come back (the beta did run on my netbook but it's clearly not powerful enough).

Tpek

I've pre-ordered through Gamersgate.
Just wondering why on Earth they wouldn't let us preload or at least get anything for now, as it seems they already have the keys for it assigned
to our accounts.

Why do so many game companies got to release their games at the exact same timeframe btw?!
I mean Focus/Cyanide/Atlus decided that all non-Americans must wait for the 7th of June until we can download our copies of Game of Thrones RPG, without
even a pre-load option.

The paradigms ruling the release dates of video games have been utterly silly in the last couple of years. :(

Jarhead0331

Well, its out, and while I've only played through the two tutorials so far, I must say I'm not impressed.  So far, it feels like a poor man's Sins of a Solar Empire.  It definitely has tossed some nice ideas into the mix, but it definitely hasn't grabbed me yet.

...and really, there is no reason for it not to be z-dimensional.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

^ Strategy Informer had a review recently and gave it 6.5 out of 10. They seemed to echo your sentiments almost exactly.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/geminiwars/1908/review.html
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2012, 08:26:32 PM
Well, its out, and while I've only played through the two tutorials so far, I must say I'm not impressed.  So far, it feels like a poor man's Sins of a Solar Empire.  It definitely has tossed some nice ideas into the mix, but it definitely hasn't grabbed me yet.

...and really, there is no reason for it not to be z-dimensional.
Thanks for the impressions, Jarhead.  Please let us know if/when your opinion of it improves. 

I still don't understand the decision to release the game sans skirmish and multiplayer modes.  That's gonna kill most of the replayability factor right there, and replayability is the lifeblood of most strategy titles. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tpek

Wow, this game is just plain 'meh'.

I don't think there was any other game that had me just "rage"-quit in the midst of the first tutorial.
Now I know most tutorials are sometimes a little too trivial and boring, but this beats them all.
Such a slow pacing along with a very annoying music and voice acting, and 30 minutes in which you pretty much just learn 1/50th of the basics of every generic RTS out there.

Not to mention how freakishly boring space battles are.
Here I have a "mighty" Destroyer fighting 2 Assault Frigates, just standing in place and shooting a weak pathetic elongated yellow thingie at them one at a time, which barely
even manages to scrape their hull. All the while they, the 2 smaller ships, just stand in place right infront of my DD, shooting small spherical yellow thingies at it, doing pretty much
no damage at all.
This goes on for over 10 minutes before I am victorious.

If that's how space battles go in that universe, then I again people there regularly die of old age or suicide in every military campaign.  :P

It's also really kind of the game to constantly forget the settings I give it (such as resolution).

mikeck

Quote from: Tpek on June 09, 2012, 01:39:59 PM

I don't think there was any other game that had me just "rage"-quit in the midst of the first tutorial.
Now I know most tutorials are sometimes a little too trivial and boring, but this beats them all.
Such a slow pacing along with a very annoying music and voice acting, and 30 minutes in which you pretty much just learn 1/50th of the basics of every generic RTS out there.

Here I have a "mighty" Destroyer fighting 2 Assault Frigates, just standing in placeo and shooting a weak pathetic elongated yellow thingie at them one at a time, which barely
even manages to scrape their hull. All the while they, the 2 smaller ships, just stand in place right infront of my DD, shooting small spherical yellow thingies at it, doing pretty much
no damage at all.

If that's how space battles go in that universe, then I again people there regularly die of old age or suicide in every military campaign.  :P

It's also really kind of the game to constantly forget the settings I give it (such as resolution).

So......you really like it??
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tpek

Quote from: mikeck on June 09, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
Quote from: Tpek on June 09, 2012, 01:39:59 PM

Here I have a "mighty" Destroyer fighting 2 Assault Frigates, just standing in placeo and shooting a weak pathetic elongated yellow thingie at them one at a time, which barely
no damage at all.

So......you really like it??

YES!
Wait....
What's the opposite word....
NO!!!!!!!!!

Anguille

skirmish and multiplayer will come with a patch (soon i think). It was the publishers choice as far as i know. The game gets more interesting in the 3d and 4th missions. Beta didn't go much further than this.