A Counter Ambush - Combat Mission Afghanistan AAR

Started by Bison, June 05, 2012, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

0825 - Hill B

3rd PLT has multiple tasks to complete during the main efforts assault on Hill C.  They need to prevent the routing Mujahedin from regrouping in the northeast and re-enforcing the enemy forces holding Hill C.  Secure Phase Line Bravo to complete the second of the objectives as ordered by the Soviet higher command.  Provide a supporting attack to the north slope of Hill C after Phase Line Bravo is secured.

HQ/3/C and 2/3/C will proceed north toward Phase Line Bravo IOT secure the objective.  Once the objective is secured 2/3/C and possibly HQ/3/C will turn south and move to contact along the northern slope of Hill C.  1/3/C will secure the eastern flank for the advance of HQ/3/C and 2/3/C to Phase Line Bravo.  1/3/C will then establish a blocking position to prevent Mujahedin from re-enforcing Hill C from the northeast.

Bison

0831 - Movement to Hill C and Phase Line Bravo

1/C/1 crossed the valley floor unscathed.  They are now in position on the western slope of Hill C.  There are some positive signs from the initial reports from Hill C.  It seems that the Mujahedin have left the western ridge of Hill C undefended.  This is good news as 1 PLT may not have to attack uphill against entrenched enemy forces.

2/C/1 was unable to advance to its proposed blocking position.  The enemy engaged their position and 2/C/1  remains on the southern slope of Hill A.  They are engaging 3 known enemy teams; a HQ, RPG and HMG.  The Mujahedin attack from the west resulted in 1/A/4 being destroyed as they moved toward their fighting position.  1/B/4 is in position and laying down suppressing fire on Hill C.

3/C/1 is running into stiff Mujahedin resistance to the east.  The enemy has a HMG team that has slowed progress and this in turn seems to have encouraged a couple of other units to stay and fight.  C PLT remains determined to reach Phase Line Bravo.

Bison

0838 - Assault on Hill C Begins

The assault on Hill C was lead by HQ/1/C  and 1/1/C.  2/1/C provide over watch and would move to clear the southern tip of Hill C.

1/1/C engages the only living enemy remaining on Hill C a 1 man HQ team. 

Bison

0841 - Hill C

2/1/C conducting a sweep of the southern tip of Hill C to ensure the objective is clear of Mujahedin find only death.  They trigger an anti-personnel mine that kills all but one of the remaining SQD members.

Bison

0844 - Phase Line Bravo

HQ/3/C  secures Phase Line Bravo.  1/3/C has established a blocking position toward the east and 2/3/C is conducting a sweep of Phase Line Bravo to the west.

Bison

0845 - Commander Bulygin

The Company Commander hanging out on Hill A with his HQ waiting to for the helicopters to come and extract them.

The result was a major Soviet victory.  I messed up the screenshot of the victory conditions.  Sorry.

It was a very tense first 38 minutes of the battle, especially the first 15 minutes.  I thought that I was a goner as the assault on Hill A seemed to be going in the wrong direction very quickly.  In all honesty, a human opponent would most likely not have broken contact as quickly as the AI seemed to do.  I believe had the AI stayed to fight on Hill A, the Soviets would not have had the troops to make a successful advance on Hill C.  All that being said the AI put up a hell of a fight before breaking contact.   The breaking of contact is a very real world tactic used by the Mujahedin so I guess the AI played it right.  Soviets won the battles but lost the war.

LongBlade

That is a fantastic AAR. If you do another I'd run it on the front page. Very well done!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Thanks Bison. The below is for you, even though your last comment is not particularly comrade-ly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Thanks LB.  I've got a few more AAR plans I'm working through in my head right.  Perhaps the clearing operation of Herat or back to the beaches of Normandy.

Your welcome Gus.  Hope it help show off the game play of the CMX2 engine.

TheCommandTent

Awesome AAR thanks for sharing!  Do you just use Paint to put the graphics on your screenshots?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 05, 2012, 07:15:34 PM
Do you just use Paint to put the graphics on your screenshots?

Yeah I just use the Paint program that comes standard with Windows.  I am looking at getting Photoshop, but more for modding and video editting options.

jomni

Grim.Reaper

Great stuff...have me on the edge of purchasing:)  Battlefront just needs to offer some sales to further intice me:)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 10, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
Great stuff...have me on the edge of purchasing:)  Battlefront just needs to offer some sales to further intice me:)

I am in the same boat as you.  Does anyone know how often they offer sales?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 10, 2012, 04:52:45 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 10, 2012, 04:15:57 PM

I am in the same boat as you.  Does anyone know how often they offer sales?

Did see gamers gate has it for $29, plus I have the 15 percent discount so around $25.   Almost at my breaking point:)