Main Menu

1775 Rebellion

Started by Cyrano, September 28, 2016, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

http://store.steampowered.com/app/422610

Now we're talking.  These games are ripe candidates for digitization.

And look, live, simultaneous multi-player.  Who'd have thought?

*please don't suck*

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Boggit

Looks like it has "potential". :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Phantom

Indeed, I enjoy board games & there's a shedload of them that would make great conversions to PC.
The big drag with board games is a) remembering the rules (especially the fiddly ones) and b) calculating stacks/odds/modifiers etc - anything that does all that has my blessing, and of course the most difficult part - designing a good playable game - has already been done. What's not to like!

Grim.Reaper

Anybody play the board game?  Considered fun?  On the surface I am intrigued and if pricing is their norm around $9, will be hard to pass up.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  We played both 1775 and 1812 quite a bit last year.  It's a very fun game but we eventually gave it up once we'd more or less worked out the optimal strategy for each side and it then devolved into a game of luck.  Whoever got the better turn order, cards, and dice rolls would win it at that point.  Sounds like they're aiming to fix that with simultaneous MP.  For $9, it's definitely worth a look.

Cyrano

SDR -- Is it "broken" the same way it's alleged "A Few Acres of Snow" or is it just the critical path thing you describe?

I've enjoyed it a lot but I'm a horrible "system" guy and usually miss things like that.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

What?  No cubes?  /sigh/ 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Cyrano on September 28, 2016, 09:11:56 PM
SDR -- Is it "broken" the same way it's alleged "A Few Acres of Snow" or is it just the critical path thing you describe?

I've enjoyed it a lot but I'm a horrible "system" guy and usually miss things like that.

Nope, it's not broken.  I guess the closest analogy I can come up with would be the original Axis and Allies.  Play it enough and you'll end up using the same strategy with very few variations because that's the one that works the best.  It might not guarantee a win but it'll give you the best odds.

Grim.Reaper

Just casually looking at their forum and steam forum, seen some comments where implied the hexwar products not that good, not supported well after release, and lack of developer communication.  Is that true or just the typical forum chatter from a few?  If only $9, not a big risk anyway, but curious.

Barthheart

Hexwar implements other people's ideas to the PC fairly well actually. But yeah, their follow on support and general comms is really poor.

tgb

It's out.  $25, on sale for $20.  Good luck with that.

It'll be on my wishlist waiting for the price to hit $10 or less (if it even gets good reviews)

Grim.Reaper

$20 is still not a lot, but may be more than I would likely get out of it...will wait a bit to see how reviews turn out and decide from there.

Grim.Reaper

Did anyone end up purchasing, any feedback?  Saw they recently released a patch, which included a number of enhancements that were suggested by the community, so nice to see they are supporting it.  The period interests me, just not sure if enough to buy....saw some mention where the game ends in under 10 turns, but not sure if that is just one of the scenarios or maybe a certain game condition achieved.

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 01, 2016, 04:34:35 AM
Did anyone end up purchasing, any feedback?  Saw they recently released a patch, which included a number of enhancements that were suggested by the community, so nice to see they are supporting it.  The period interests me, just not sure if enough to buy....saw some mention where the game ends in under 10 turns, but not sure if that is just one of the scenarios or maybe a certain game condition achieved.

Too bad there isn't any one place you might be able to find a copy of the rule book or comments from people who have bought the game.  Or even perhaps a video of it being played.

Grim.Reaper

So far Steam comments are pretty vague, although the people who do speak of it seem to have reasonably OK things to say.

Rulebook is posted on steam as well....
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/422610/manuals/Board_Game_Manual.pdf?t=1475183254

I did happen to find this old video for some kind of beta, not sure for which version and how old, but at least gave me some flavor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZz7zPTIa8