Champions of Krynn - The Next Groggy Adventure Thing

Started by BanzaiCat, October 23, 2016, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

For those of you familiar with my AAR on Pool of Radiance, well...you might be waiting a while on that one. Most likely, it is dead. I started it before I got a new PC in June, and the files did not transfer well; I think they're corrupted as I cannot get them to load, which is a major bummer as I was having a really good time with that one.

Nevertheless, with the vibe I received from you guys and how much fun I had playing it tongue-in-cheek (which seems to be a theme of my AARs, actually), as well as what I've learned works and what does not in writing these things for the D&D universe, I've been wanting to start a Champions of Krynn AAR for a while.

CoK is the first of a three-part trilogy (the second being Death Knights of Krynn and the third being Dark Queen of Krynn) in the Dragonlance universe. This particular title was released in 1990 and I purchased it at that time; I think I played through it a couple of times, but that was over 25 years ago, and I don't but vaguely remember the game. I definitely have less memories of the two follow-ons (though I did play both of them as well, perhaps once each).

I'd like to run this one like the Pool of Radiance AAR: that is, get five of you to join me in creating this story and seeing where it takes us. This time I might try to give you guys a little more autonomy; in Pool of Radiance, I at times asked where you guys preferred to go next, and I sometimes acquiesced to that (lol). Beyond that, it would be well out of the scope of this game, since it's meant to be played by one person, but maybe opportunities for more interaction will come along at some point.

So, if anyone's interested, read the rest of this below and then reply in the thread. I'd prefer long-timers/prolific posters to volunteer to take up a role in this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The core party will consist of six characters, one of which I will take and will be the (relative) leader of the group, since I'm playing it. I'm considering a Solamnic Knight but might choose a Fighter instead...or Ranger. Not sure yet, and it might depend on what you guys decide on. My character will definitely need to be a tank of some sort, though.

So I'm open to what makes up the party and will leave it to you guys to suggest what character race/class you'd like to play, but I do have some preferences:

1 - Tank (as mentioned)
2 - Tank
3 - Tank/Multiclass
4 - Cleric
5 - Thief
6 - Mage

Again, this is just a general list of what I almost always have played in these games. And since you might not have the documentation just lying around, I'll add a bit of it here.

Character Classes:
Clerics have spells bestowed on them by their deity and can fight wearing armor and using crushing (no edged or pointed) weapons. After selecting a deity, clerics may only choose alignments appropriate to their god. Each of the gods will extend special abilities to their followers. For more information, see the Deities section. The prime requisite for clerics is wisdom. Clerics start the game at first level.

Fighters can fight with any armor or weapons, but they cannot cast magic spells. Fighters can have exceptional strength and gain additional HP bonuses if they have a Constitution of 17+. The prime requisite for fighters is strength.

Rangers can fight with any armor or weapons. Rangers can have exceptional strength and gain additional HP bonuses if they have a Constitution of 17+. They do additional damage in combat when fighting giant-class creatures. Rangers must be of good alignment and have ability scores of at least 13 in strength and intelligence and at least 14 in wisdom and constitution. The prime requisites for rangers are strength, intelligence, and wisdom.

Solamnic Knights are the pride of chivalric honor in the world of Krynn. The knights are divided into three orders: the Knights of the Crown, the Knights of the Sword, and the prestigious Knights of the Rose. All are renowned for their bravery and skill at arms. Knights begin the game with plate mail, long sword, and a shield but very little money.

Knights must take a vow of poverty and so they tithe a large part of their monies and treasures back to the orders. Knights of the Crown will tithe 10% to their order whenever they enter an outpost. Knights of the Sword and Rose will give up everything except 20 steel pieces when they tithe. When Knights of the Sword or the Rose become 6th level, they gain the ability to cast some clerical spells. If a knight of either of the first two orders (Crown or Sword) is of sufficient level, and has high enough ability scores, he may petition the next higher order for admission. Prime requisites for knights are strength and wisdom.

NOTE: Knights receive XP bonuses for doing knightly deeds and not for having prime requisites. Theybegin the game as first level characters.

Mages have powerful spells, but can use no armor and few weapons. They can only memorize those spells available in their magical grimoires (personal spell books) or use scrolls. In the world of Krynn, the power of mages is moderated by the three moons. Mages are divided into three orders based on alignment. Each alignment has its own order, strengths, abilities and moon. The mage's power fluctuates with the cycles of the moon that influences his order. For more information on the orders and moons see the Magic section (page 15). The prime requisite for mages is intelligence.

Thieves can fight with swords and slings and wear leather armor. In combat they do additional damage 'back stabbing'. Back stabbing is described in the Combat section. Thieves also have special skills for picking pockets, opening locks, removing traps, moving silently, hiding in shadows, and climbing walls. The prime requisite for thieves is dexterity.

Multi-Class are non-human characters who belong to two or more classes at the same time. The character's experience points are divided among each of the classes, even after the character can no longer advance in one or more of those classes. The character's HP per level are averaged among the classes. The multi-class character gains all the benefits of all classes with regard to weapons and equipment.

Character Races:
Hill Dwarves  are a stubborn and rough race of sturdy workers and craftsmen. They are especially resistant to magic and poison. During combat, dwarves receive bonuses when attacking goblins and hobgoblins and are adept at dodging the attacks of ogres and giants. Dwarves can be fighters, thieves, rangers, clerics of Reorx or mixed classes.

Mountain Dwarves are somewhat clannish and more refined than their Hill Dwarf cousins. Otherwise they are nearly identical. Mountain dwarves may be fighters, thieves, clerics of Reorx, or mixed classes.

Silvanesti Elves (High Elves) are a tall, arrogant and long-lived race. They are nearly immune to sleep and charm spells and are adept at finding hidden doors. During combat, elves receive bonuses when attacking with long or short swords and bows. They cannot be raised from the dead. Silvanesti elves can be fighters, mages, clerics, rangers, thieves and mixed classes.

Qualinesti Elves are slightly smaller and friendlier than their Silvanesti brethren. They have identical abilities and bonuses. Qualinesti elves can be fighters, rangers, mages, thieves, clerics and mixed classes.

Half-Elves are hybrids with many of the virtues of both humans and elves. They are resistant to sleep and charm spells, and are adept at finding hidden doors. Half-elves can be fighters, mages, clerics, thieves, rangers, knights and mixed classes.

Kender are a small people characterized by an absolute lack of fear and insatiable curiosity. They are especially resistant to magic and poison, and have the special ability to taunt intelligent opponents. When kender successfully taunt, an opponent will attack in a mindless rage, suffering a loss of combat effectiveness. The preferred weapon of the kender is the hoopak, part staff sling part metal shod staff, which only they can use. When armed with a hoopak, a kender will receive bonuses to hit and is a deadly accurate shot. Kender can be thieves, fighters, rangers, clerics or mixed classes.

Humans are the most common playerrace in the world of Krynn. They can be fighters, mages, clerics, thieves, rangers, and knights but not mixed classes.

Background (from the Cluebook):
Champions of Krynn is Strategic Simulations, Inc.'s first ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS computer role-playing game set in the DRAGONLANCE® universe. It takes the award-winning system first used in Pool of Radiance and applies it to the world of Krynn. The group of adventurers you create in Champions of Krynn will be responsible for seeking out and destroying the many pockets of evil that have infiltrated the area of northeast Ansalon. Your characters begin the game as part of the good forces who keep watch against the return of evil. On your missions, you will discover more and more about an evil plot that threatens the entire area. Your group of intrepid adventurers must locate the source of the evil and defeat it.

Like I said, I have my preferences for how this party should be built, but that doesn't mean I have the best ideas. Let me know whom is interested and what race/class combos you'd prefer. List multiple ones if you don't mind.

I'll also use your forum names as your character names, to make it easier to follow.

And yes, I fully intend to use tongue-in-cheek styles (including fair use of 'smartass' and 'sick humor') to continue the tradition and to make this more enjoyable...for me, anyway. Hopefully for you, too.

So, please post below as mentioned, and once we get this party thing sorted out, I'll give more of the background of the game. You do not have to go out and reacquaint (or acquaint) yourself with the game(s); I'll take care of the translations, as it were.

Thanks!

MetalDog

I'm in, B_C!  Missed out on the last one.  And SURE didn't know how much fun you would make it.  Here are my preferences, in order, from most to least:

1) Human or Elf Ranger

2) Human or Dwarf Cleric

3) Half Elven Ftr/Mage

4) Straight Tank, your choice of race and class (Ftr or Knight)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

Holy Draconian BC! I'm in for the AAR sure as Bozaks' explode after they die. And you can include my avatar in your game anywhere though 'Sir Slash' might only fit properly a Solamic Knight and if you're going to be one then maybe it's no good for you. Anyway, great choice for a AAR. CoK Was one of my all-time favorites-- I like the lower level adventures more for some reason. But if it's Krynn, then you got to have at least one Kender in the party, that's a Dragon Lance Must and they make damned-good thieves too. My old game party was, as I recall, Mage, Cleric, Thief, Knight, and two other multi-class fighter types like a Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric. But that was a few years ago. So.... play your way Man and I'll follow along with anticipation. Oh, and if you need a cheat, I still got my old clue book somewhere in the closet.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

I thought Gus was the only one allowed to be a Dwarf?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 01:40:28 PM
He's tired of the typecasting.

And he never technically gave me his blessing for Pool of Radiance. Nor did he ever mentionion it or view the thread, that I know of anyway.

Thanks, Sir Slash and mirth. That's three!

airboy

You can put me down for thief.  You pick what is best.
I teach future business people, especially in sales.   >:D

Sir Slash

Great BC. I'm counting on you to get Sir Slash killed fewer times than I did when I played this game.  :coolsmiley:

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 24, 2016, 10:04:20 PM
Great BC. I'm counting on you to get Sir Slash killed fewer times than I did when I played this game.  :coolsmiley:

So less than fifty?

bbmike

You know you can't succeed without your singing human mage!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

BanzaiCat

Alright, so that's MD, SS, and mirth. BBMike, was that you signing up as well?  O:-)

airboy

Quote from: airboy on October 24, 2016, 05:04:45 PM
You can put me down for thief.  You pick what is best.
I teach future business people, especially in sales.   >:D

You forgot me!