Champions of Krynn - The Next Groggy Adventure Thing

Started by BanzaiCat, October 23, 2016, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

D'oh! Sorry, airboy! I think I did that to Sir Slash in the Pool of Radiance AAR... :)

Okay, well, that means we have me, MD, SS, mirth, and airboy. If BBMike is on board, that's our party.

BBMike, if you're interested, sound off and tell us what kind of character you prefer. I don't think anyone's spoken up for a mage...like I said, your preferences will just depend on the needs of the party at the moment of creation. Let us know!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on October 26, 2016, 05:41:33 PM
Is Slash the cleric?

I don't think he specified, actually. Anyone that doesn't care will get whatever I think appropriate for the party, though suggestions are always welcome of course.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Photobucket is pissing me off. It's apparently been down a lot lately. Anyone know of a free image hosting site for forum use? I've tried to use Google Photos but it doesn't seem to support forum (IMG) posting.

BanzaiCat

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on October 26, 2016, 05:48:33 PM
Yeah, I'm the mage that's all the rage!  :P

You're in! Thanks. I'll try to get this started up by Friday.

BanzaiCat

Hmm. Can everyone see this image?

Seems if I upload my pic to imgur, the link it generates does not work either, but if I right click on the image in imgur and select 'Open In New Tab,' it generates a URL that works in our IMG tags. Just want to be sure everyone can see it before I try to use it.

mirth

BanzaiCat

Good. PB might be wonky at times so I'll have to go to imgur whenever that happens.

I'll post an introduction with some history (which I didn't do for Pool) here shortly.

mirth

MetalDog

Looking forward to it!  I assume you got through the train wreck alright and have time to do this?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Here's a little background on what's happening.

No, no no no no. Not THAT 'What's Happening.' Though, that was a kick ass show back in the day! :)

No, I mean on what's happening in the world of Ansalon, where Krynn lays. Lies. Is lying. Hillary? I don't know. You get the gist.

Oh, wait. You want to know something about what's going on.

(Sigh.) No, no. A good song, sure, but not THAT kind of what's going on.

Here, let's just get on with it before I come up with some other bad joke.

From the Adventurer's Journal:

To the Circle of Knights:

I, your humble servant, send you greetings. This missive is sent without the knowledge of my commandant and in violation of his orders . I take this action in full knowledge of the consequences it may bring upon me and through the conviction that in doing so, I fulfill my oath.

The commandant has been acting strange of late as if afflicted by some dark spell. I know that information of evil portends has not been forwarded to your august body as required by our charter. Many of our most faithful followers have died suddenly and mysteriously within this last fortnight. The commandant has been too ready with replacements for them, replacements which have an unclear feel.

I ask that you send a knight of pure character and high stature to investigate my conduct and this report. As further evidence, I provide, in its entirety, a letter found on the body of one Hal Horbin, a ranger of the highest character.

The reply:

"Dear Istan:

Far from annoying me, I find the greatest pleasure in responding to your inquiry dear brother. It has been some time since I have turned my mind to the scholarly histories in which I formerly delighted. Your questions regarding the relationship between the War of the Lance and these outposts provides a welcome diversion from my normal duties. But first, a bit of background...

Ansalon is a small continent stretching from the arctic to the equatorial climates in the southern hemisphere of the World of Krynn. It was across the face of this troubled land that the War of the Lance raged in years past and brought our company to its present unhappy fate.

In the 348th year after the Cataclysm, the evil forces of Takhisis, the Queen of Darkness, launched the treacherous war she had long prepared in secret. Striking first north, east, and then south, the armies of evil dragons, fell draconians, and all manner of other evil beings quickly overran the unprepared and the unsuspecting.

The good dragons, historical enemies of the evil dragons, could not ally themselves with the forces of good. As part of the Dark Queen's plan, their eggs were taken as hostage while the great beasts slept. The good dragons' "neutrality" was the price they paid to keep their eggs from harm.

While the good forces' attempts to ally against the common threat were hampered by treachery and old feuds, the evil armies made good use of their time. Quickly consolidating their hold on the newly conquered lands, they struck west and even further south in the winter of 351 A.C.

It was in this year that a group of companions met at the Inn of the Last Home in Solace . The exploits of the companions are now well known-How they gained the disks of Mishakal and returned them with the first true cleric to walk the lands since the Cataclysm . How their discovery that the draconians were the result of the corruption of the good dragon eggs freed the good dragons from their pledge and brought them into the war on the side of good. How they helped Berem to return to the temple outside of Neraka and with his death close the portal that gave Takhisis an entry into Krynn.

It was at this time that many counted the war over. With their queen locked out of this world, the Dragon Armies lost their sense of direction. Many urged the good armies to return home and disband, some were foolish enough to do so.

But evil retained a strong grip on much of the land. The corruption process was stopped, but the good eggs were not returned and the exploits of the companions had given evil yet a new form.

Raistlin Majere, a companion with his brother Caramon, was caught up in the web of power that blazed through the land. While working against the Dark Queen's plans, his own grew ever more ambitious. By the time She was driven out of the land, his own robes, once a neutral red, became as black as his heart.

Through long and macabre studies, he became convinced that he himself could become a god. Not just a god, the most powerful of all gods. Through his plots and machinations, another foul time swept over Ansalon, this one threatening even more defilement than that caused by the DragonArmies. It was only when Raistlin realized that if he persisted, he would be left to rule a dead world, that he relented.

Caught up in this power struggle, evil forces struck again. Kitiara, half-sister to Raistlin and the hero Caramon, organized an attack. Dragons, draconians, men, and other evil creatures bypassed the High Clerist's Tower and fell on Palanthas. The city would have stood against even these forces had it not been for the aid given by Lord Soth and his Death Knights.

None could stand before them as they swept through the city streets. In the very tower where Raistlin did battle with the Dark Queen, Kitiara fell. It is said that Lord Soth took her unwilling and undead body off to a fate far worse than a clean death. Whatever the reason, the Death Knights withdrew and good overthrew the invaders.

With this clear lesson before them, all realized the evil threat could return at any time . With new resolve, the alliance stood to arms again. Led by the Solamnic Knights, the good forces smashed through the remaining DragonArmies. In a long and bitter campaign, the eastern lands were freed. The City of Sanction fell to a bloody siege. Evil was routed and its followers driven deep into hiding.

So as not to be caught unprepared again, the knights established outposts, like this one, throughout the Eastern Lands. With that, the armies withdrew and, save for the knights, were largely disbanded. All depend on our outposts. We are to be vigilant, to stamp out evil where we find it and, if dark plots threaten, to give advance warning to good folk everywhere.

For all of the confidence many felt when Sanction fell, things are not as they could be. Many of the good dragon eggs remain lost. Lord Soth stays secure and apparently untouchable in his fortress (although he provided no aid to the DragonArmies in this last conflict). The knights, on whom so much depends, are stretched too thin. Indeed, it is all the knights can do to provide the outposts with leadership. The work of patrolling, and the like, falls almost entirely on ordinary folk, such as ourselves.

And if the other outposts are like this one, things may be much worse than they appear. Strange events have occurred. We hear rumors. Rumors of settler caravans killed or enslaved. Of a strange force that opens graves and robs the dead. Of evil dragons seen flying to the east. Of entire cities captured and secretly enslaved.

Our commandant sends out patrols and they report nothing. At least those who return have nothing to report. But of late, not all sent out have been coming back. I know the commandant has been urged to report all this, but he has refused to do so.

The fact is that our commandant has not been himself lately. He looks the same and talks the same, but his actions - his feel - are quite different. I fear some dreadful fate awaits us all. A fate we should be able to see but which a dark veil is hiding.

Ah, I babble. We are in the western-most outpost below the deserted City of Throtl. Of all the outposts, we have the least to fear. My regards to our mother. Tell her I am safe and likely to remain that way.

Your brother,
Hal"

Respectfully submitted for your consideration:
Mothus Strongsword
Knight of Tears

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on October 26, 2016, 06:22:53 PM
I assume you got through the train wreck alright and have time to do this?

I won't lie, I work. A lot. But I'll need to do something like this every so often to blow off some steam. Something weird, funny, obnoxious, ridiculous, and hopefully, entertaining. It might take me time between posts, but I'll get to them. I've been waiting to do this particular series for a while - I bought the collection on GOG on sale whenever it went on sale - what was it, a year ago? And I've yet to play any of the Krynn games.