19th Century Chinese History Games?

Started by Gusington, February 07, 2012, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I've been doing some reading on the Taiping Rebellion and the Chinese Civil War (19th Century) and enjoying it a lot. Are there any games at all that you know of covering this era? I realize it's a tall order. I found one reference to a Chinese made strategic game over at Wikipedia but nothing else. Thanks!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2012, 10:29:40 PM
I've been doing some reading on the Taiping Rebellion and the Chinese Civil War (19th Century) and enjoying it a lot. Are there any games at all that you know of covering this era? I realize it's a tall order. I found one reference to a Chinese made strategic game over at Wikipedia but nothing else. Thanks!

Age of Rifles is ancient, but offered a few battles in China. Not the centerpiece, but better than nothing.

That's the only thing that comes to mind ATM.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Thanks LB. I have asked this question periodically over the course of 15+ years and nothing new is ever on the horizon. Japanese settings always take the front seat.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 10:22:28 AM
^Thanks LB. I have asked this question periodically over the course of 15+ years and nothing new is ever on the horizon. Japanese settings always take the front seat.

Games where you fight for the British to be able to sell opium to the Chinese may have a little something to do with a lack of interest.

Gusington

^Funny I was going to mod Napoleon Total War a teeny bit so I could do just that. It interests me!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 12:35:20 PM
^Funny I was going to mod Napoleon Total War a teeny bit so I could do just that. It interests me!

It could be fun, but I have to say that the Chinese usually aren't much of a challenge. In the Boxer Rebellion many of them were kung fu practitioners (hence the "boxer" part of the rebellion) whose primary weapons were their fists or knives and whose protection from British guns were the deepest secrets of Chinese black magic.

The old adage that you shouldn't bring a kung fu artists to a gunfight would apply here.

Gusington

^You should read up on the Taiping Rebellion...probably the bloodiest war in 19th century history. Meaning, worse than the Napoleonic Wars. All of them. Combined.

A new book was just released on it and reviewed over at the NYTimes...'Autumn of something or other'...I forget the title. I just bought an older one on the history of China from the 1830s to 1910. Fascinating stuff.

It should be gamed!!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Hmmm. I had hoped and expected more of Chinese history. Looks like you've found it.

The simplest way to get a game created about this era is to create a boardgame. You seem to have found some good historical sources. Brant is good with game design. You might want to chat with him and see what develops.

Gusington

It would be quite the sexy beast, this game.

Hell I'll take a game on European imperialism in South East Asia in the 19th Century...doesn't have to be exclusively focused on China!

Represent the French, the British, the US, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Vietnamese. Throw in some expeditionary forces, some ironclads, and the Black Flag Army.

Epicosity!!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 02:01:06 PM
It would be quite the sexy beast, this game.

Hell I'll take a game on European imperialism in South East Asia in the 19th Century...doesn't have to be exclusively focused on China!

Represent the French, the British, the US, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Vietnamese. Throw in some expeditionary forces, some ironclads, and the Black Flag Army.

Epicosity!!!

Hmm. No love for the Dutch again I see. After all, you know it wasn't called the Swedish East Indies .
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

My bad. But everyone knows Dutch power was at best waning in Asia in the later 19th century. How about they are represented by a heavily armed dinghy in the game?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Gusington

If we were talking 16th century Japan, then sure. Honest question: did the Dutch send a unit of troops to help put down the Boxer Rebellion?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd