Giving Gaddafi His Due - CS: Middle East - Crisis in Sirte'85 (Libya Hypoth.)

Started by Crossroads, February 19, 2017, 12:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I like what you're doing now. And love the night-look. It looks like...... night.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Commander Cody

Like the spoilers. And looking forward to some action.

Cheers,
CC

Crossroads

Quote from: Commander Cody on March 02, 2017, 03:24:24 AM
Like the spoilers. And looking forward to some action.

Cheers,
CC

Thanks! And wait no further!

British Turn #4

Replay: Libyan Turn #3

The cover of the night during the first three turns is not quite that, talking about concealment here. The Soviet gear Libyans are running were forerunners with Night Vision (IR) equipment, and it tells. My dithering with having eyes at Outpost "Kent" clearly sent a Scimitar troop to harms way, for they never knew what hit them.

One moment they were there, speeding towards their objective...

[spoiler=now you see them][/spoiler]

Next moment, they're gone.

[spoiler=now you dont][/spoiler]

Modern battlefield is a lethal place  :(  Something fired at them from "Kent", as told by muzzle flashes.

Meanwhile, with visibility at two hexes (500m), a Libyan T-72 troop arrives next to my recon platoon at "Cumbria"!

Are there more of them out there? I guess I will find out, as the sun is about to rise in turn 4...
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Turn #4 - Dawn's Early Light

Oh say can you see, ... A Libyan Tank Compan-ee! (I get my coat)

Seems they, in turn, were not expecting outpost "Cumbria" occupied, and since I had a forward platoon with eyes on that ravine, I caught them on a neat marching order. No sign of any AA assets either.

Good thing I brought my Gunship sections forward! At Nap-of-Earth, they consume quite a lot of Action Points on movement, but the target is so close now.

Let us plan this carefully. I cannot lose them at this early stage, so no room for mistake.

First I select the forward platoon and toggle on the Visible Hexes (Binoculars with Hex superscript).

Then, I toggle on Contours (Map with contours symbol), and Elevation labels (Map with "1" label).

The peaceful desert terrain can now be seen in a devilish manner that it is. I have my Helos at Nap-of-Earth, at a reverse slope (or thereabouts), so I will risk flying forward, staying close to friendlies to ensure I don't haplessly fly over a hostile unit that can fire at the earth hugging helos.

[spoiler=View to a kill][/spoiler]

The last shades of doubt cast aside, I will engage first with the Lynx section closer to target.

What I did first here I selected the first Lynx section, clicked at Save AP for Firing (AR with a Lock superscript). To make sure the action took place, check the little bullet icon in the Unit Infobox,

Next, I  clicked at Reachable Hexes (Moving Truck with Hex superscript).

Here the high cost of Nap-of-Earth maneuvering can be seen, as I barely will have the Action Points to engage the target and then to reach back to safety.

[spoiler=there and back][/spoiler]

Engage! Now, I toggled to Visible Hexes (Binoculars), and while having Save AP for Firing still ON, I can now move (without a fear of using too many AP to be able to fire), hex by hex, check the visibility, and stop to fire once I see the target(s).

Here we go. Fire! "Firing"... "Target Destroyed" (obviously I had not fired yet at the time of the screenshot, but pasted the Damage Report for effect  :smitten: ) And back to safety.

[spoiler=first Lynx section engaging][/spoiler]

Rinse and repeat for the other section. "Firing..." "Target Destroyed" (See the leading Libyan tank platoon now missing, and the first Lynx section safely back at reverse slope position)

[spoiler=second Lynx section engaging][/spoiler]

Tick six T-72s off the Libyan armor  :knuppel2:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Turn #4 - Scimitars Forward

With the fresh wreck markers depicting the burning T-72s, I then go about tucking the Mech and Para Infantry platoons with their Support Platoon sections to their places. While doing that I almost missed there's a Libyan recon section approaching outpost "Devonshire" from the east. I have my Scimitar section in place, so time to pay back. Ensuring they are within range, I toggle on the Weapon Range indicators (AR with Hex superscript).

They are, so I open fire immediately without moving, as that might have triggered their Op Fire. Firing... One enemy vehicle destroyed, the other one pushed back!

[spoiler=giving it back][/spoiler]

I decide to Fire again, but to no effect this time. I just have the APs to retreat a bit myself, just outside their LOS. So I do just that. Having shot, time to scoot!

Crossroads

British EOP Turn #4

Time for the finishing moves. I decide to mass more firepower forward, so I bring the single Chieftain Tank Company at my command forward. The terrain here provides for excellent reverse slope tactics, so I do just that.

Two Lynx Gunship sections (circled in white) and five Chieftain troops (circled in pink) at your service! To support them, several ATGM teams (brown circles) and importantly, MANPAD teams (blue circles) are around for perimeter defence.

I also spotted two 81mm mortar missions next to "Cumbria". I don't have any other artillery here, so will have to do with them.

[spoiler=reverse slope][/spoiler]

Despite of the early success, definitely no room to get cocky here. Libyans have their Hinds too, and recon Helos too, and enjoy the fact that they've got SAM batteries securing the airspace.

I mentioned earlier, that we tweaked the SAM behavior a bit, now there's a modified chance they can hit the Low air level as well. I will showcase this in more detail in coming postings.

But not now. Did You Know? Brits introduced hot water boilers to their Scimitars (and Chieftains too I believe), so time for a fresh brew!

Here's the EOP #4 from the British point of view. The Butcher's Bill, as it goes, says:

Brits:
  • 2 FV107 Scimitars
    Libyans:
  • 6 T-72M1 AFVs
  • 1 BRDM-2 recon vehicle
  • 2 Mech Platoon fire teams.

In addition, I need to keep track of my Lynx ATGM loads, as (by design) I don't have a HQ where I can have them re-equipped with. Having started with four missile loads each section, both are now down to three.

I will continue to fire at targets very aggressively and as early as possible. No pussyfooting here!

To ensure my Tank Coy will not go low on Combat Efficiency due to being too detached from their HQ, the HQ POGues are brought quite close to front lines as well:

[spoiler=Brit EOP 4][/spoiler]

Let us see what Berto has in exchange in his turn 4. I am not seeing anything anywhere yet, so I am still guessing. I massed the firepower at the center, but with the large map and all the room for maneuvering, I doubt that is where he arrives from? I guess I will soon find out.

Over to Berto!

Crossroads

At this stage I should apologize for my English, not a native speaker so please bear with me  O:-)

To add to that, I realise military terminology varies from country to country. I am trying to stick to British terminology here, so the Chieftains of the Royal Tank Regiment and its A Squadron present here form Troops, not Platoons.

In a similar fashion, the Lynx attack helicopters of the Army Air Corps Regiment are two Sections of 2 Westland Lynx AH.1 ATGM armed helicopters, so half a Flight I believe. Four Sections to one Flight.

As for the British OoB present here, I formed the British Quick Reaction Force from elements of the British Army on Rhine formation, as seen here.

There's quite a few things under the hood of what forms a scenario in CS Middle East, all available within the full set of Editors that ship with the game: Map Editor, Organizations Editor, and Scenario Editor to combine the two.

Here's a snippet of the 1985 BAOR TO&E from Org Editor:

Crossroads

Turn 5 Opening

Ping, says the email as Berto sent over his move.

"Still no sign of the enemy, or little of them (you).  That will soon change, I am sure.", he reports.

The problem is I see him, as that's how the LOS in the game works. You don't spot on the arriving turn, as any hostile units that lose their concealment become visible the beginning of next turn.

Daybreak continues, Visibility improved a bit this turn, to 7 hexes (1 750 meters).

Here's what my forward units report on hostiles on their LOS. Despite the obvious areas where I don't see anything (and it is not guaranteed I see everything on my LOS either), another Libyans Tank Coy is spotted southwest of Cumbria, by my recon Helo section.

[spoiler=Sitrep: more hostiles!][/spoiler]

Libyans continue their cavalry charge with tanks at vanguard, so let us plan accordingly.

Crossroads

Gunships Forward!

I will first deal with the newly spotted Libyan TC (tank coy).

With visibility now at 7, I just need to pop up a bit over the slope I am hiding behind. I don't see any danger anywhere, apart from the fact they've got their Hind Gunship at NoE airlevel, so there's a risk it Op Fires at me. For that reason I try to stay just outside its LOS, and attack the tank troop farthest from it.

Here's the flight plan. Highlighted hexes reveal my movement range at NoE, with Save Ammo toggled ON:

[spoiler=Lynx One Mission plan][/spoiler]

Here's the execution of the flight plan. Now the highlighted hexes reveal my LOS. I will only fly just to the edge of my visibility, fire, then return. I believe I got one T-72, with two of them retreating out of my LOS. It is not always a slam and dunk. But this is good, I am not complaining, they are quite in a rush to get shot so more chances I am sure.

[spoiler=Lynx One firing][/spoiler]

And here's the Lynx section safely back, hovering just behind that reverse slope.

[spoiler=lynx one mission complete][/spoiler]

Crossroads

Outpost "Cumbria"

Next, let us deal with the Libyan TC that introduced themselves to us, uninvitedly I might add, the previous turn. My forward platoon at Cumbria continues to have eyes on the ground, so I have all the advantage here.

First, Milan team: Three T-72s at 1250, behind infantry, prepare to fire. "Ready to fire!". Fire! "Firing... Three tanks destroyed!".

Oh my, that was a lucky die roll, I expected to get one or two at max, and a retreat perhaps.

[spoiler=Milan team getting some][/spoiler]

Lynx Two begin their turn at a perfect firing position, as NoE is <25 meters, and elevation delta in this map is 20 meters. They literally are hugging the earth there, yet able to see the level in front of them.

Lynx Two, you are good to go!  "Target acquired" ... "Firing..." Target destroyed".

[spoiler=Lynx two good to go] [/spoiler]

I then order them retreat one reverse slope further, as the Libyans are edging closer. I don't want these assets to be visible to Libyans, and I still have just the little room for maneuver I need. They, too, are now down to two ATGM loads.

[spoiler=lynx two mission completed][/spoiler]

In addition, the forward platoon at "Cumbria" opened with their LAWs (or whatever they carry), fired twice at the T-72 Coy HQ tank, no hits.

Crossroads

Turn 5 Ending Moves

Another good turn for the Brits here, just what they trained for at gunnery range. Here's a few thoughts behind their early success:
  • Libyan tankers are moving in, blind, without any recce screen. They don't see me, I see them.
  • They arrive in the open, in a piecemeal fashion, in a hurry too. Easy targets. No helos at High to have eyes on what's behind those reverse slopes.
  • With the little room I have for maneuver, so far I have been able to both take full advantage of the few targets I see, and then fall back outside their LOS again.

That said, time to prepare for the next turn.

I decide to push my advantage, and bring my Chieftains forward. They were not able to close in for a kill this turn with enough AP to fall back, but maybe next turn. Now they are one reverse slope closer, so depending how hot it will get they can either decide to stay behind that one, or retreat a few hundred meters back to the next firing position.

[spoiler=chieftains forward][/spoiler]

Recce helos retreat a bit to their next point, just outside Libyan LOS. Libyans will again when moving forward not be able to see anything, while I see spot them again, as they enter the LOS of my recce helo section.

[spoiler=recce to safety][/spoiler]

I then move a bit forward at my both flanks. Hopefully no Libyan recce units there to spot me in turn, while I would be oblivious of them.

Right flank. With Contours toggled ON, see how most my units benefit from reverse slope positions all over the map:

[spoiler=eastern flank][/spoiler]

Left flank:

[spoiler=western flank][/spoiler]

The EOP 5 screenshot showcases my key advantage so far. The terrain provides me with several reverse slopes, so hopefully I can pull another couple of turns like this. For some reason the Libyans are not using their Helos for recce, as they would be free to use Low and High Air levels as well (I have no SAM systems, only MPAD teams).

[spoiler=EOP British Turn 5][/spoiler]

The so far one sided fighting has put Libyans at some 100+ VP disadvantage. The Victory Levels allow Libyans with 200VP deficit should they be able to acquire all their objectives. However, they are taking losses heavier than they can allow here, so it must look ominuous to them at this stage.

That's it, over to Berto!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 06, 2017, 11:08:43 AM
Pass the popcorn. This is getting good.  :hide:

Berto's quite the history buff, and he for instance gave me a proper spanking in our West Bank 1967 battle for Jenin. I am not sure he's really looked at these 1980s hypotheticals, so the brutality of the modern weapon systems must come as a bit of a rude awakening to him. He's got some neat gear too though, I just need to hope he doesn't get into positions to use them   :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Turn 6 Opening

"No payback yet!", said Berto's email, with the PBEM turn attached. And how could it be, as I had moved my units out of his LOS. I'm sure there's tons of other interesting developments though, as he's had yet another turn to maneuver his units to position. It will be interesting to see if there's a change of plan, a retreat and regrouping of a sorts? I am not sure he quite expected the wall of British steel that landed on his vanguard during the first two immense turns of action.

Time to find out!

Here's the Sitrep my recces tell me:

• Southeast of Outpost "Cumbria", the Libyan TC seems to have pulled back, or at least stayed in place. As I in turn moved a few hundred meters back, nothing there to see. He moved his helos forward though. Stil at Nap of Earth, so they can't truly see around.
  • West of "Cumbria", there's more action however, as more tanks in support by what seem BMP-1s close in. Sagger ATGM armed BMP-1s are my main concern when fielding Chieftains, not T-72s, so this takes some planning
  • No sign of much of Libyan mech infantry anywhere! I realise I have a gaping hole with my recce a bit further west from the Libyan what seems a Tank Battalion closing on the 150VP objective on Main Supply route S.

Visibility dropped back to 6 (we've got Variable Visibility ON), so that's good news for Libyans, helps them to close in without being seen.

[spoiler=Sitrep turn 6][/spoiler]

Crossroads

Battle for the Main Supply Route Objective

So let us have a closer look at the Libyan western vanguard. There's a fresh Tank Coy with two 3 track platoons, and their command unit. Supporting them are what seem Sagger armed BMP-1s. Op Fire in CS is always a bit of an enigma, if you want to rely on it you typically want to have so many gun tubes pointing at the enemy he'd rather back off than try his luck. That is what Berto did here, not sure I want to have my single Chieftain troop lift their turrets above the crest to face that fire power.

Visibility from various hexes varies a lot too, due to elevation changes, and the shorter visibility. Here's my plan to dent the newly spotted threat:

• The active hex, with visibility information toggled ON, is the one where the Redeye teams Land Rovers sit. That is where I want to take the Chieftains to destroy the Strength 3 T-72 platoon. Pink circle marks the spot.
  • Since my firing hex is targeted by Libyan SAGGER wielding BMP-1 platoon, I need to take those out first. I'll give my Scimitars a task to do that. But they can't approach as the Strength 1 T-72 targets them in turn. Purple circle marks my Scimitars.
  • So before Scimitars can fire (and be Op Fired back), I need to do something with the lone lead T-72. Task for my Milan team in a hex where the Engineer unit is at the top of stack.
    Quite happy with my cunning plan, I order my troops to execute it.

Btw those numbers on Libyan chits are their Strength, and since these are vehicles that's the number of tracks per platoon. All other parameters are unknown since we've got the Extreme FoW toggled ON.

[spoiler=cunning plan][/spoiler]

Of course, those who have watched their Blackadders know the cunning plan almost never works out does it  :buck2: