Star Trek Bridge Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2017, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2017, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: Phantom on June 01, 2017, 02:00:57 PM

I do agree that the concept of VR has huge potential, and not just in gaming, but I wouldn't buy into it just yet - as I don't think that a clunky headset with eye damaging screens is the future - no-one ever indulged in technology that made them look silly - look how 3D cinema has spectacularly failed to catch on.  I understand MS are working on a next generation (no pun intended) VR system that projects externally - now that is VR I would buy into.

Eye damaging? Whatch' you talkin' 'bout Willis?

The "external" projection you are referring to is called "augmented reality". Its totally different.

Heck, we had augmented reality back when I was in college in '72. And you're right, it is different.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 01, 2017, 07:53:33 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 01, 2017, 07:41:43 AM
Quote from: Toonces on May 31, 2017, 10:14:32 PM
I don't want to ask what TOS is.

Just assume I know it somehow opposes whatever the other kind of Star Trek is.  I'm a warfare theorist, that works for me.

Close. TOS is the only Star Trek. There is nothing else. Except DS9. And bits of TNG.

This is turning into a religious debate :P

Oops, almost forgot. TAS also is.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Swatter

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2017, 10:27:15 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 01, 2017, 10:22:28 AM
My issues with VR are philosophical and not really the point of this thread.  I don't disagree with JH that VR will become more prominent in time.

Ahhhhhhhh....this could be an interesting discussion. I can see philosophical apprehension with the technology, but its no different than anything else. In moderation, I don't see a problem.

We might already be living in a simulation so why not pile another one on top?

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on May 31, 2017, 10:13:45 AM
Does it have green Orion slave women?

No.

That's Star Trek Bitch Crew

Easy mistake to make, though.  ;)

Phantom

I do agree that the concept of VR has huge potential, and not just in gaming, but I wouldn't buy into it just yet - as I don't think that a clunky headset with eye damaging screens is the future - no-one ever indulged in technology that made them look silly - look how 3D cinema has spectacularly failed to catch on.  I understand MS are working on a next generation (no pun intended) VR system that projects externally - now that is VR I would buy into.

The "external" projection you are referring to is called "augmented reality". Its totally different.

"Development builds of Oculus Rift have been around since late 2012, and early adopters have already reported ocular problems with extended use. While these reports aren't especially widespread, they're enough to raise concerns" - apparently the issue is related to fooling your eyes/brain into believing an image 2/3 cm away from your eye has actual depth - it causes eye strain & has been linked to myopia.

The external projection I had in mind isn't augmented reality, but rather (appropriately) the equivalent of Star Trek's "holodeck" - ie: not reality with something superimposed, but a genuine 3D artificial environment.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on June 02, 2017, 01:49:57 PM

"Development builds of Oculus Rift have been around since late 2012, and early adopters have already reported ocular problems with extended use. While these reports aren't especially widespread, they're enough to raise concerns" - apparently the issue is related to fooling your eyes/brain into believing an image 2/3 cm away from your eye has actual depth - it causes eye strain & has been linked to myopia.

The external projection I had in mind isn't augmented reality, but rather (appropriately) the equivalent of Star Trek's "holodeck" - ie: not reality with something superimposed, but a genuine 3D artificial environment.

The issue seems to be more one of eye strain, which is not unique to VR devices, but an issue with the use of all digital devices.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/are-virtual-reality-headsets-safe-eyes
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Phantom

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 02, 2017, 02:02:34 PM

The issue seems to be more one of eye strain, which is not unique to VR devices, but an issue with the use of all digital devices.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/are-virtual-reality-headsets-safe-eyes

Interesting article - I didn't know you could get motion sickness in VR - great for age of sail games I guess  ;)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on June 03, 2017, 05:27:57 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 02, 2017, 02:02:34 PM

Interesting article - I didn't know you could get motion sickness in VR - great for age of sail games I guess  ;)

Yea! Motion sickness is a major issue with VR, much more common than any issues with eye strain. There are still a few games that make me feel very uncomfortable, but most I have grown used to. Apparently, VR confuses your senses. Your eyes are detecting motion, but the rest of your body is not and these confusing signals result in nausea. The brain is an amazing thing...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

I did have a hard time watching parts of the video that mirth posted. There was way too much movement. I guess it might be different if you were actually wearing the VR gear.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on June 03, 2017, 07:01:34 AM
I did have a hard time watching parts of the video that mirth posted. There was way too much movement. I guess it might be different if you were actually wearing the VR gear.

It's definitely different...it's worse.  ;D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Phantom

Does the kit required for this game include motion sensors on the hands as well as the VR headset then?

Tpek

Damn, I guess I really need to go and shell out for a VR set.

Is the PS4 VR set really that bad and not worth it? (I'd rather play this game on the PS4)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on June 04, 2017, 06:06:38 AM
Does the kit required for this game include motion sensors on the hands as well as the VR headset then?

Yes. Motion controllers. You hold one in each hand. I believe you can use a regular game pad too, but that is extremely immersion breaking.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog