Star Trek Bridge Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2017, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Nice to hear about random encounters. Though playing with random people is a random encounter itself. What VR gear do you recommend and are there any other good VR games?

Jarhead0331

I have the HTC Vive, which works great with this game, but the Occulus Rift is an attractive option, especially for this game, since the Rift has the new touch controllers. These controllers actually detect your hands and fingers making control feel more natural. I'm hopeful that the Vive will come out with something similar in the near future.

There are many very good VR games out. Initially, most games were little more than tech demos, but lately more fully featured games have been released that are really taking advantage of the technology. Some developers are really trying new and innovative things, so you have a lot of different kinds of games ranging from space and flight sims, FPS shooting games, sword and archery games, Strategy/RTS games, etc. Some of the games still blow me away when I boot them up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on May 31, 2017, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: Toonces on May 31, 2017, 10:59:34 AM
^ ok I don't even watch Star Trek

go stand in the shame corner with MD!

Just because I prefer to read, game, and chat with you nice folks here at GH doesn't mean I have never watched tv.  As a matter of fact, TOS is one of my all time favorite shows.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

I don't want to ask what TOS is.

Just assume I know it somehow opposes whatever the other kind of Star Trek is.  I'm a warfare theorist, that works for me.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

Quote from: Toonces on May 31, 2017, 10:14:32 PM

Just assume I know it somehow opposes whatever the other kind of Star Trek is.  I'm a warfare theorist, that works for me.

When did being a weather man turn into being warfare theorist?

FarAway Sooner

Ian C

Can we play VR games without a VR helmet?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on June 01, 2017, 03:32:03 AM
Can we play VR games without a VR helmet?

Some. The store page should tell you whether a VR headset is necessary. Most of the games are built for VR from the ground up. Others started out as traditional games and had VR functionality added.

Honestly, I can't really think of any dedicated VR games that I would want to play without a VR headset, anyway.  Often times, the fact that you play the game in VR is what pushes an otherwise average gaming experience over the top. So for example, a lot of the wave style shooters would get boring really fast were it not for the fact you play them in a virtual environment and interact with the world in such a unique way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Close. TOS is the only Star Trek. There is nothing else. Except DS9. And bits of TNG.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 01, 2017, 07:41:43 AM

Close. TOS is the only Star Trek. There is nothing else. Except DS9. And bits of TNG.

This is turning into a religious debate :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I liked the Quantum Leap verson.  It had the best looking Vulcan.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 01, 2017, 08:02:48 AM

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

Quote from: mirth on June 01, 2017, 08:08:59 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 01, 2017, 08:02:48 AM

We all have our preferences, but I prefer this Vulcan compared to your Vulcan preference.

mirth