Author Topic: BMS 4.34  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Tripoli

• Man-at-Arms
Re: BMS 4.34
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 06:42:56 PM »
While the gold standard would be the Falcon 4.0 campaign (or the WoFF campaign for that matter), I would find something like WoX perfectly acceptable.

I want to log on, pick my plane, and have the game plan a mission of which I am just a small part in the larger scheme of things, contained within a bigger picture.  It really shouldn't be that hard.

While I've seen the dynamic missions on MP servers, I'm not a fan of flying MP as a single player.  A virtual squadron is probably the way to go.

I just started a WOFF campaign.  Its February 1916 and I'm flying a Nieuport Scout.  Underarmed, Underpowered, Unreliable, and its single machine gun points 20 degrees to port.  It makes a DH2 look and feel like a P-51.....
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

Offline Toonces

• Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »
If you can hang with it, WoFF is one of the best experiences you will have.  Man alive, it is such a great flight simulator and campaign experience.

If you play solid Iron Man you will find yourself a very sad panda.  You'll go 5, 10, 15 missions and be feeling invincible, and then one simple mistake and you're a flaming wreck.

No ejection seats.  No parachutes.  No second chances if you foul up.

You hit CTRL-E and the game laughs at you.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Offline Tripoli

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 07:01:02 AM »
If you can hang with it, WoFF is one of the best experiences you will have.  Man alive, it is such a great flight simulator and campaign experience.

If you play solid Iron Man you will find yourself a very sad panda.  You'll go 5, 10, 15 missions and be feeling invincible, and then one simple mistake and you're a flaming wreck.

No ejection seats.  No parachutes.  No second chances if you foul up.

You hit CTRL-E and the game laughs at you.

I've played a couple of WOFF campaigns.  You are right that they are epic.  It is a wonderful game.  There may be better WWI  flight sims, but there isn't a better campaign than WOFF.  Unfortunately, I suck at virtual flying.  Consequentially, I have a lot of experience as a flaming wreck. Or a spinning wreck. Sometimes I completely cut out the German middleman in my demise, opting to kill myself via terminal prang on landing.   I got lost on my first mission yesterday, and couldn't find my own aerodrome.  Had to land and ask for  directions. :-[
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 07:06:43 AM by Tripoli »
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2022, 03:28:52 AM »
FWIW, version 4.36 was just released. I hear version 4.37 might include VR…
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Yskonyn

• Landsknecht
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 02:35:19 PM »
If they get VR sorted I think that will punch a big dent into DCS's userbase.
BMS remains the king of 'strategic combat flight simulation' and as long as DCS doesn't come with the dynamic campaign the guys over at Benchmark Sims will sit on roses.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Offline Skoop

• Viking
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 06:30:10 PM »
Have you guys tried the liberation campaign app ?  It's pretty much everything in a bms campaign, just not packaged in side dcs...so you have to run it 3rd party.  I'd rather they do work on improving the AI than fiddling with a dynamic campaign.  The AI is looking pretty long in the tooth these days and the borg cheats it gets has been irritating alot of people and streamers. 

Having said all that, would be interesting to give bms a whirl after so much time in dcs f16.  I feel like I know the aircraft so much more now than I ever did flying it in bms.   

Also, I've come across some awesome mods for dcs lately that have automated some things.  There's a scratch pad mod that works for all modules that alows you to capture waypoints from the f10 map with one click and allow you to punch it in to the ufc.

There's also a new f16 dtc mod that functions as a real dtc that saves so much hassle of setting up your f16 before missions.  Rumor has it that the mod will soon extend to the f18.

So in theory, with mods, you could get the same experience in dcs.

Offline Yskonyn

• Landsknecht
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 12:37:35 AM »
I have tried DCS Liberation. Kudos to the guys who made it!
But like you say; the AI is the weakest link here.

In BMS the air and ground war presents a much more believable environment, the comms chatter is much more immersive and the ATC/AWACS interaction is much more realistic.

In multiplayer I absolutely adore DCS, but BMS is by far the superior singleplayer sim.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”