Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 22, 2018, 09:40:11 AM
Already looks fantastic. Really impressed!

Love the period battle map. Though it suggests that the game is going to have set-piece historical battles rather than possibility of battles anywhere on the strategic map (as in Total War or the previous Seven Years War) -?

That would fit the title, Grand Tactician. I have no complaints -- I like Scourge of War (and its predecessors), Ultimate General, and their ilk.

On the other hand, I never did get Brother vs Brother because what I really wanted was Forge of Freedom 2. So I can understand feeling like this is a step backward.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bboyer66

The game does talk about a Strategic layer to the game,supply lines, managing leaders, railroads, the blockade, etc. Quite interested to see how battlefields will be selected, or generated. Maybe once a Strategic Map is shown, we will be able to figure some more things out.

As a sidenote let me just comment on how frustrating Ultimate Civil War General is. It is a game so close to being a classic, but just falls short. Playing the campaign I had won like 16 straight battles, including a total decimation of the Confederates at Antietam. Well I lose the battle of Fredericksburg because I couldn't race my troops to a victory location in time (had eliminated all the enemy troops), and lose the battle. I'm replaced as commander, and the game is over, LOL.  The only reason I keep the game at this point is to play out the individual battles possibly in the future.

RyanE

"I'm replaced as commander, and the game is over"

Ha!  That actually sounds like the real Civil War.

bboyer66

Quote from: RyanE on July 23, 2018, 12:05:04 PM
"I'm replaced as commander, and the game is over"

Ha!  That actually sounds like the real Civil War.

Just that part  ;)

AchillesLastStand

A new gameplay video came out several days ago, it looks quite interesting to say the least.

The YouTube button above doesn't seem to be functioning, weird.
https://youtu.be/ZRdRLmPcBZw

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Holy crap, how did I miss this one??!  Looks interesting. 

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on February 24, 2020, 09:18:41 PM

Seems to work okay for me (FF is my primary browser)? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Martok on February 25, 2020, 12:46:24 AM
Holy crap, how did I miss this one??!  Looks interesting. 

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on February 24, 2020, 09:18:41 PM

Edge, tried it several times. Even tried following the instructions in the support section for posting YT videos and didn't work. Thanks for posting it btw.
Seems to work okay for me (FF is my primary browser)? 

Skoop

Been following this one too, looks really cool.  It's the second effort from the guy who did the seven years war game a while back that some here had played.

Geezer

This is looking promising.  The original release was supposed to be late 2019, but now it's Summer of this year.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rayfer

Quote from: Skoop on February 25, 2020, 12:54:52 PM
Been following this one too, looks really cool.  It's the second effort from the guy who did the seven years war game a while back that some here had played.

I never played the previous game you mention, but didn't it get some bad press because of an overly complicated economy to micro-manage? The 4 minute mark of the video for this new game shows a long list of goods, i.e. sugar, coffee, etc. and their prices giving me concerns that this game might have the same issues. Otherwise it looks quite good and as a fan of the ACW I remain interested to see how this develops.

Geezer

I watched the two part Perryville replay on Youtube and the battlefield was quite detailed.  Hard to imagine they have modeled the entire country to that level of detail.  So I'm wondering if a campaign battle takes place at a location where there was no historical battle if the map will be randomly generated, or show the actual terrain.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Skoop

Yes you are right, I think the dev took all that feedback into account for this game. 

Geezer

Someone else asked about maps and the devs posted the following answer:

Quote...the maps are hand drawn and auto generation is not possible. There will be historic maps at the appropriate locations and also a number of non-historical ones to randomly pick. Also the number of maps will increase post-release.

W8taminute

Definitely looking forward to this game.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk