Ouya box for $99 - Open Source

Started by junk2drive, July 22, 2012, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junk2drive

The last console I bought was N64. This looks like an interesting idea though with all the restrictions and costs of other consoles and devices.

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/meet-ouya-99-game-machine-everyone-talking-about-876224

Arctic Blast

There's just so little information out there right now, especially for something supposedly being released in a year. We still don't have any really nailed down specs, any explanation for how the system will work, very many confirmed game studios on board, etc.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 23, 2012, 12:55:51 AM
There's just so little information out there right now, especially for something supposedly being released in a year. We still don't have any really nailed down specs, any explanation for how the system will work, very many confirmed game studios on board, etc.

The Kickstarter project was fairly in-depth with information. It looks like a way to bring APP style games to the TV (at least at the moment). The big *hope* is that indie developers (particularly those with experience programming for the Android - which is the basis for the Ouya) will latch on to the open source model and provide content.

Given that I have an iPad and an iPhone, I just wasn't enticed enough to spend $99 for a "Revolutionary" gamepad and the promise of a hackable and customizable core system. The Kickstarter campaign was just to gauge interest, and the millions they received should let them know that interest is certainly high. But no reason at the moment to be an early adopter. Best to wait it out and see what arises.

The pedigree of the group is fairly reassuring. They went out and got the French guy that designed the $100 laptop to do a lot of the engineering. He was heralded as being fairly genius in the way he presented a durable and somewhat powerful platform for cheap (primarily for use in under privileged areas of the world).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert