The Sky's the limit - a MOO3 Tachidi AAR - soundtrack by Nik Kershaw

Started by Anguille, July 30, 2012, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Ah, wormholes.  Gotta love 'em! 

Also, what's with all the magnate races?  Talk about luck! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

@Martok...indeed...lots of luck!

At the end of the wormhole, our scout discovers a nice planet to colonize: Quadrupe IV will be our first base in these solar systems so far away from home.

Meanwhile, we see that the Silicoids colonize more and more solar systems...we have a hard time to keep up but believe that we have more population and therefore a better industrial basis.

We also continue to make a steady progress in science...our future ships should be well equiped.

Anguille

In the Cerva system, we establish the new colony Audrieh Prime. Soon, the Tachidis may not be the main race in our empire...will we achieve what the Shadow Empire: The Psidarian Confederacy* didn't manage? We will see.

In the Orion Senate, a Peace accord has been signed...this should relax our relation with the Silicoids.

Our exploration on the left of the empire continues without any oppositions....in Zugamog, we discover a colony of the Ajadars...we are on the good way to integrate most of the magnate races into our empire...

*Reference to "Shadow Empire: The Psidarian Confederacy" by late Longspur.
Shadow Empire: The Psidarian Confederacy

Anguille

Here's the soundtrack to this AAR:

Nik Kershaw's The Sky's the limit

Our scientists have started to work on the cruiser type of ship which will allow us to start the production of our first "real" spaceships.

A colony ship is moving to colonize the first planet on the other side of the wormhole.

In the Tromelai system, we establish a new colony: Longspur.

Our expansion goes smoothly...no opposition so far...the galaxy will be ours!

Anguille

On turn 35, we discover a colony of the Bulrathi in the Tardig system...all the biggest races in the galaxy will soon be united under our flag.

Our scientists tell us that they will soon discover a mean to create fleets in other solar systems. They call it Mobilization Centers.

By turn 41, our scouts discover two colonies of the Ancient Races: Altair and Nazin. Unfortunately, none of them will be able to make it home...both scouts were destroyed before they could enter warp. We need to create big fleets to destroy the Guardians of these fantastic planets of the Alkari and the Darloks...what kind of secrets will we be able to find there?

Anguille

Our scientists have finally discoverd the secret behind Mobilization Centers. They will allow to create fleets with the ships from the imperial reserves. Unfortunately we won't be able to use them as stargates: Mobilization Centers allow the teleportation of material but not living beings. This means that once a fleet has been created, the crews will be recruited and trained on these key planets. The Fleets will then move through the starlanes as usual.

We decide to create two Mobilization Centers at key planets, both of which already have large populations: Audrieh Prime and Ajada Prime.

Meanwhile, an unknown fleet is orbiting Longspur...we have no idea who they are and what they want. They seem to be peaceful however...at least now. We send a scout to explore the unknown areas below Longspur...and we discover another wormhole! That new race must be coming from there. We decide to send our scout to make further investigations.

To be on the safe side, we create our first cruisers and put them on the building queues on Tachidi Prime: long range attack ships

Martok

Looks good Anguille

So other than the abundance of magnate races, has this been a fairly "normal" game for you so far? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Anguille

Yes and no. There are so many parameters that most games i play are different (size of the galaxy, form, number of races). My strategy is fairly standard though for a 4x game (most of them). I never had such a galaxy before as this is a new type that came with the mods i am using now so this is fairly interesting to me. I also selected fewer races than i use to so it leaves me enough room to expand, at least initially. Besides, MOO3 games are sooooo long  :o, i actually didn't play so many of them to the end.

On turn 47, our scout arrives at the other end of the wormhole and discovers the Sabzius system. There we find a lost colony of the Darloks! Will we be able to establish a colony there before the unknown race gets there too? Our scout continues to explore this sector and discovers the first planet of the Eririilaa...after scanning their frequencies, it seems there race is called Trilarians...we do not have diplomatic contact yet so it's still uncertain if we're going to be friends or foes. Yet, there are very close to the Darloks so we need to hurry. Having a large colony there would allow us to have a better negociation position.

Anguille

Meanwhile, out of the blue, a task force of the Silicoids arrives on the orbit of Almaak-A...we're not ready. They have found a way to our space. The first bombardements make few casualties but it's still too many.

But the bad news don't end there...they have also ground troops! Will our militia be able to hold them off until we can send reinforcements? The population goes into the bunkers while the militia takes position around the urban areas...

Martok

Anguille

We take heavy losses but manage to keep control over most of the planet. We know however that we will not be able to keep up against the experienced 4 infantery divisions of the Silicoids. During the following year, thanks to the teleportation of material and weapons, we create a full army. It's much more than we need to push back the invasion troops but the next invasion will likely start very soon. At the end of the year, we manage to eliminate the last enemy troops. Unfortunately, the Silicoids still control space in this system thus putting a blockade on the planet. The first 2 Long Range Cruisers are ready but we wait for a third ship before we create a task force with the mission to take back the space control over Almaak-A.

Martok

You think you'll be able to push the Silicoids of the planet entirely before the next wave arrives? 

Anguille

@Martok the enemy ground troops have been defeated...

On turn 54, we finally launch a squad of 3 Long Range Cruisers from the Mobilization Center in Audrieh Prime....they will be arriving in Almaak-A in 7 turns. That's a long time but the enemy task force isn't doing too much damage on the planet (bombing every turn). We decide therefore to create a new Mobilization Center on Kholdan. The next task force will start from there as soon as it's ready. Meanwhile, our scientists are working on the Battle Cruisers and the Duranium armor which will give us more firepower.

Meanwhile in the Senate, a new bill that will allow to lower the cost of fleet maintenance is proposed...we gladly endorse it!

A colony ship didn't pay enough attentions to the orders given by the Fleet HQs and doesn't give a course to avoid Almaak-A...it is destroyed by the enemy fleet....so many colonists dead!

Anguille

With the foundation of the colony on Sabazius III, we have finally a diplomatic channel with the Trilarians.

We ask them if they are ready to sign an economic agreement and we are thrilled to see that they accept...we are going to work hard on that relationship...these could be the allies we were looking for!

Martok

Excellent.  Here's hoping the Trillarians can help you out with the Silicoids. 

Quote from: Anguille on August 31, 2012, 07:42:54 AM

A colony ship didn't pay enough attentions to the orders given by the Fleet HQs and doesn't give a course to avoid Almaak-A...it is destroyed by the enemy fleet....so many colonists dead!
I hate it when that happens...