Board game sell/trade sites

Started by acctingman, May 27, 2019, 07:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Can anyone recommend and good sites that sell/trade board games.

Thanks

ArizonaTank

Two Facebook Groups are pretty good IMHO:

1)  CONSIM Marketplace.  Not a bidding site. Folks post their games with set prices, and they are generally snapped up quickly.  So if you see something you like, move fast. A great way to move a bunch of games quickly. But if you are selling, don't expect top dollar. For top dollar, ebay is probably best.

2)  Gamers Pay It Forward.  Not a buy sell site, per se.  Basically members put up wargames to give away, and other members ask for "dibs".  The owner usually randomly determines who gets the game from those asking "dibs".  Sometimes it is first come.  The rule then is that the member who gets a game for free, has to offer up a game of equal value to the group for free.  Amazingly it works well.

I have also had good luck with the Board Game Geek marketplace.

Sometimes you can find great deals on Amazon...but mostly not.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

I did see that CONSIM FB site and requested to join, but it's been days now and nothing. Hopefully I can get in there soon.

Thanks

airboy

Go to boardgamegeek.com They specialize in this.

They have a huge online flea market, swap meets, and multiple auctions for every major game con.  Plus they have a big online market.

I've contracted for about six games with delivery at Origins.  If they don't do it they will point you in the direction of someone who does.

acctingman

Thanks Airboy

I've been frequenting that site a lot lately!.

I've decided to give Nations at War: Desert Heat a go as it's a theater I enjoy and the rules don't seem overly complicated.

Trying to see if a local retailer is able to order it before I go online.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: acctingman on May 28, 2019, 12:35:24 PM
I did see that CONSIM FB site and requested to join, but it's been days now and nothing. Hopefully I can get in there soon.

Thanks

Hmmm...that is strange.  Joel Toppen runs it... If you have not heard of him, he is one of GMT's "go to" developers and has even designed a few games for GMT. The man also makes top notch Vassal modules.

Anyway, he is usually on the ball with stuff...so strange you have not heard back. Maybe vacation?

The site had a hiccup a few months back when FB did a sweep for socially undesirable sites. I heard that FB had snagged the site because a member was selling the game: "Hitler's Reich". Knee-jerk BS on FBs part. But FB is "free" so they can make the rules. Back then, the site was called the "Wargamers Marketplace" and was open. To avoid shutdown from FB, Joel had to change the name to "CONSIM Marketplace" and tighten up membership. So maybe your request is stuck in some lingering effects of that.

BTW, when you do get in...the community is a pretty good one. Joel has done a great job in cutting folks from the rolls who don't follow the rules. He has even cut a legendary, highly prolific wargame designer from the group; apparently the guy would take money, but was then just too busy to respond or actually send the games. Joel actively monitors the site, and has also quickly purged some real idiots who got out of line, or posted racist / extremist stuff.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

acctingman

Just got the invite today. More than likely the long holiday weekend.

Was hoping to see if I could find NaW:Desert Heat used, but I pulled the trigger on a new copy yesterday  :smitten:

ArizonaTank

Quote from: acctingman on May 29, 2019, 03:29:32 PM
Just got the invite today. More than likely the long holiday weekend.

Was hoping to see if I could find NaW:Desert Heat used, but I pulled the trigger on a new copy yesterday  :smitten:

Good news!  Stuff goes fast on CONSIM...if you see something you want, get your IM in right away.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"