Kerbal Space Program 2

Started by steve58, August 19, 2019, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Everyone uses COVID as an excuse, but a three month COVID period is unlikely to have cause more than a year's worth of delay I would think. So its beginning to sound cheap IMO (not specifically for KSP2 however).
But on the other hand I rather wait a little more and get a solid release.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 23, 2020, 12:58:07 AM
Everyone uses COVID as an excuse, but a three month COVID period is unlikely to have cause more than a year's worth of delay I would think. So its beginning to sound cheap IMO (not specifically for KSP2 however).
But on the other hand I rather wait a little more and get a solid release.

Companies may beg to differ on Covid impacts to software development and other things.  Have no idea if this company is lying about the impact but working for an organization that does a lot of software development, Covid can have a significant long-term impact.  And although after three months some places are "starting" to return to some normal, it will be a very long time (months, years, etc.) before it returns to the type of environment that was pre-Covid.  I think some people think development is all about writing and testing code that could happen from anywhere including their home, which partially may be true for some companies, but many other factors to consider and when combined, creates a lot of unexpected disruption.

- Caught unprepared to fully work remote; don't have all the tools and necessary processes in place to be as effective working together while not in the same place; this takes time to figure out and become productive again
- A lot of companies use offshore talent from other countries that had their facilities closed and aren't able to continue working even at home; many legal and risk considerations based not being in an approved location
- Hiring freezes; many companies had to freeze hiring because of the financial uncertainty of their company; maybe this company counted on hiring some key people (i.e artists, designers, extra developers, etc.) and now can't or its delayed
- I know nothing about how this group is funded, but maybe they had their budget reduced and they had to cut staffing, which in turn would make the development process longer
- Key employees sick and or worst case dead; have seen key talent impacted; you would like to say that sickness or death of a couple of people shouldn't slow things down, but many times only a few people have the required subject matter expertise, especially on small crews
- Mental health and ability for people to cope with the situation; this can and has impacted productivity of people as they worry about their health and families; some people never worked from home before and although it sounds easy, not always the case; this can cause people to take longer doing things than before
- Quality tends to suffer because of all these factors (i.e. health, experience, motivation, etc.) and often requires more testing cycles to ensure compensated; therefore timelines extended
- Some companies are being very flexible with their staff so they can have a work life balance that includes possibly caring for their children whom were previously at daycare and school; now they need to do that while still trying to do their normal job
- Priorities change; when you might have limited resources or your financial future is uncertain, what and when you work on gets impacted
- Maybe some of the delay isn't because of pure development but marketing and publishing; maybe the publisher has other games coming out that this has to be fit in;  using Matrix games as an example, I have heard them say this many times that they have certain slots for certain games so maybe a factor
- Part of the delay could be about revenue; they don't think releasing a new game in a market where people are cutting back expenses is good for them; sort of like the movie industry is doing by delaying releases since they know people more cautious with money and less of an appetite to be in a movie building.
- etc.

Again, I have zero idea if this company or any other company is using Covid as a way to explain delays (whether for a few months or a year) but having seen some of the impacts myself, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt right now.

Yskonyn

Yeah well, its also a nice convenient way to catalog mismanagement or clearly unrealistic deadlines in the first place, but we'll see. You, of course, make valid points. And I don't know anything about their work environment either. It just strikes me that substantial delays in pushing out game content gets the slightly too convenient stamp 'because of COVID' rather quickly.

Eagle Dynamics (DCS World) has been caught doing the same for the Supercarrier EA release, which they now have sort of confessed it wasn't entirely due to COVID afterall.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 23, 2020, 06:41:59 AM
Yeah well, its also a nice convenient way to catalog mismanagement or clearly unrealistic deadlines in the first place, but we'll see. You, of course, make valid points. And I don't know anything about their work environment either. It just strikes me that substantial delays in pushing out game content gets the slightly too convenient stamp 'because of COVID' rather quickly.

Eagle Dynamics (DCS World) has been caught doing the same for the Supercarrier EA release, which they now have sort of confessed it wasn't entirely due to COVID afterall.

It could be a "convenient" way to explain mismanagement/unrealistic schedule but seems a bit unfair to assume that without any indication that was the case.  As for being "rather quickly", not sure that is accurate either.  Our organization immediately felt the impact and continues to do so for all the reasons I outlined...you just don't realize how disruptive it can be when all this happens for the first time in history (we had no idea the ripple effects), nobody had plans to effectively compensate for it.  Not many people plan for the entire world to be impacted and nearly shut down at the same time.  And again, maybe the delay is not just just pure development, but more so when they predict is the right time to release a game to maximize profits when the economy might be in a better place.....who knows.

I am not at all suggesting that this company or any other company don't use "fake excuses" but like to try and give the benefit of the doubt especially if the company doesn't demonstrate a pattern doing it.....with that said, I don't really follow Kerbal or its developers, maybe they have done something like this before, no idea......I guess for me it doesn't really matter since this game is not something I ever plan on playing:)

Yskonyn

My point was not directed at KSP2's devs specifically, but the amount of months delay vs de COVID situation just triggered my response.
For all I know they tell the truth, it just a hard sell to me. I never imagined myself being more of a sceptic than you, Grim! TouchĂ©!  ;D

Jarhead0331

Speaking from my own personal situation, COVID has caused a huge ripple effect. So, my law office had to close. The courts closed. The clerks' offices closed. Case filings were restricted to essential or emergency matters only. No public gatherings. We had to lay off and/or furlough staff. Most of the attorneys were able to work from home, once we sorted out all the remote technology issues, but we were hampered by other factors too. For instance, the schools closed. We have a 7 year old and a 9 month old. I became responsible for home schooling. This was probably more crippling for me professionally than the actual direct business related issues. Its damn near impossible to get work done with a raging 7 year old and a crying 9 month old. Meanwhile, my wife is at the hospital non-stop AND THEN I get Covid on top of it all and get put in isolation for nearly 3 weeks.

Yes. You're definitely right...people will most certainly use COVID as an excuse for delays, failing to perform contractual obligations, etc. and many instances it will be exaggerated and unreasonable. There is going to be tons of litigation over COVID issues once the courts re-open. My point though is that the pandemic has caused issues for people on many complicated levels that are hard to see until you dig more deeply into it all and take a closer look at how this has effected lives.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Yep, too many variables to consider that impact people/companies differently to label everyone the same......but no doubt in my mind there are people who will absolutely take advantage of the situation.....

Yskonyn

I work as a pilot, so you don't have to tell me about ripple effects due to COVID. Lol!
That was not the point, obviously.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 23, 2020, 09:24:11 AM
I work as a pilot, so you don't have to tell me about ripple effects due to COVID. Lol!
That was not the point, obviously.

I think the ripple effects comments (including mine) was simply in response when you didn't think Covid could cause a long delay and implying more so because of mismanagement and/or unrealistic initial deadlines...simply using the ripples (things people may have not known) to provide "possible" reasons how it could in fact take that long if your not familiar with what all goes into software development:)

Wish you the best being a pilot during these tough times, hopefully that all gets back to normal at some point as well......

Yskonyn

Sure, I know. And thanks, Grim.  :notworthy:

steve58

PCGamer looks at KSP2.  Still many months out, but I know I will be picking it up.

https://www.pcgamer.com/space-odyssey-our-first-big-look-at-kerbal-space-program-2/

hhhmmm  ???
After this feature was written, Bloomberg reported that publisher Take Two had recently pulled the development of KSP2 from previous partner Star Theory and formed a new studio, Intercept, with many developers moving over to the new studio. Star Theory later went out of business.

...wonder if this change will delay it past 2021.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

I read about that.  Seems like a shitty move by Take Two. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tripoli

Quote from: Martok on July 02, 2020, 06:45:00 PM
I read about that.  Seems like a shitty move by Take Two.
Yeah, from what I have heard thus far,  it sounds like they basically crippled a small company for no reason.  Based on this, I'm not sure I am going to be buying Kerbal2, at least not right away, and quiet possibly never.  Kerbal (significantly modded) is still a lot of fun.  Now if I can just find time to play it or any of my other games....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

[hijack on]

Hey Yazzy, do you fly Boeing or Airbus?

I seem to remember you're a 737 driver, but I could be wrong.

[/hijack off]
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

I am Jebbedaiah Kerman on a 737 indeed.  \m/