Matrix Games announce Command: Modern Operations (CMANO successor)

Started by al_infierno, September 03, 2019, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Quote from: hellfish6 on May 07, 2020, 10:28:21 AM
I wonder if WEGO is the only practical option for MP, or if it's just the preferred option for pro users. I like the umpire with the god-like powers, though. That'd come in handy for something like a meta campaign.

This looks like it is clearly following in the footsteps of TacOps 4, which militaries used before but which is stalled. TacOps 4 is a WEGO game with a god-like umpire. (An awesome one at that)

I think you are probably right that the professional users either prefer WEGO or at least are used to it to the point where they can't easily change all their procedures, training, materials etc.

Toonces

I've been spending a little more time with CMO the last few weeks and I have to say, this game really needs multi-player. 

By multi-player, I mean MP for the regular user, not just the "professional edition" nonsense.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Looks like there's a pretty decent discount on the CMO DLC's.  I'm thinking of picking up the Northern Inferno and Silent Service DLCs.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2020, 06:37:26 PM
Looks like there's a pretty decent discount on the CMO DLC's.  I'm thinking of picking up the Northern Inferno and Silent Service DLCs.

I picked up a bunch of the Live scenarios on the sale. Spent about $10.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2020, 06:49:36 PM

I picked up a bunch of the Live scenarios on the sale. Spent about $10.
Thanks for pointing this out. I always forget about the DLCs until after the sale. I just picked up six.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

MengJiao

I got the game.  I played some CMANO in the editor long ago.  I'm going to try to get dragons simulated better.  IN CMANO, they did blow up Crete in 1962 reasonably well with nukes...but it seemed like overkill.  They never quite worked as Vulcan bombers in CMANO I don't think.  Seems they would have lots of ECM. 

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 01, 2020, 12:04:07 PM

I got the game.  I played some CMANO in the editor long ago.  I'm going to try to get dragons simulated better.  IN CMANO, they did blow up Crete in 1962 reasonably well with nukes...but it seemed like overkill.  They never quite worked as Vulcan bombers in CMANO I don't think.  Seems they would have lots of ECM.

I'm giving up on the dragon angle, maybe.  I found an interesting CMO (? or is it CMO: CMANO?  MOC?  Modern Operational Commands?  Or Modern Command Ops or something?) steam workshop scenario more or less set in the present.  Okay, so...the Saudis have been bombarding the Shiites/Houthis up north along the Red Sea around the Yemeni capital of Sana'a since 2015:  Bombs, drones, missiles Special Forces, Mercenaries and so on BUT in this scenario for some reason, the Saudis are suddenly targeting Aden, the big port held by the Saudi's allies on the southern coast.  So is this an interesting alternative history twist or did the scenario-maker just not bother looking at a political faction map of the Yemini Civil war at all? 
The Saudi aim according to this scenario is to establish its credibility as a regional peace-keeping force (sorry "gain prestige as a regional peacekeeping power") and of course blowing up your supposed allies is a good way to start establish your credibility and/or prestige.  Even more oddly the target is "suspected WMDs" though the "intel" is not good about that.  Which is odd since if there were any WMDs in Aden it seems either they would be Saudi or the Saudis would know their allies had them.
    So no dragons probably, but with the Saudis turning on their allies, it seems like all kinds of interesting weapons might turn up and get shot at nearly anybody....a very promising scenario even without dragons probably.

Oh and here is Aden being targetted by the "Saudis" well...on Ground Hog Day:

demjansk1942

I had the first game but too complicated or time intensive

Jarhead0331

Can anyone here actually acquire this or is it restricted to professional users?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 27, 2021, 06:52:36 AM
Can anyone here actually acquire this or is it restricted to professional users?

Looks like it is still only for military/DoD/contractors
https://pro.matrixgames.com/
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dimitris

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 27, 2021, 06:52:36 AM

It can be acquired by anyone as part of a company or organization, after said company/org is vetted.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Toonces

I kept seeing Kushan popping up on my little Steam friends thingy playing CMO.  I was wondering just what was so interesting that he kept booting it up every day.  Well, I got an email today from Matrix that they've released a new DLC for CMO set in 1985.  NATO vs. Communist Powers. 

The new DLC and Northern Fury are bundled for 20% off (about $30 for the two I think).

I just haven't bonded with CMO like I did with Harpoon.  Hard to say specifically why; I think maybe it's just a little too complicated.  Not complicated like I don't understand naval warfare, just complicated as in it's not fun to play.  I find myself increasingly enjoying a simpler "gaming" experience like Cold Waters or Fleet Command.

stolypin

Quote from: Toonces on October 22, 2021, 04:41:51 PM
I kept seeing Kushan popping up on my little Steam friends thingy playing CMO.  I was wondering just what was so interesting that he kept booting it up every day.  Well, I got an email today from Matrix that they've released a new DLC for CMO set in 1985.  NATO vs. Communist Powers. 

The new DLC and Northern Fury are bundled for 20% off (about $30 for the two I think).

I just haven't bonded with CMO like I did with Harpoon.  Hard to say specifically why; I think maybe it's just a little too complicated.  Not complicated like I don't understand naval warfare, just complicated as in it's not fun to play.  I find myself increasingly enjoying a simpler "gaming" experience like Cold Waters or Fleet Command.

I've posted this before but will say it again:  at 61, I no longer have the patience -- or perhaps even the mental crispness -- to learn new game systems.  I have a slew of games -- Steel Division II, Graviteam Tactics, Fields of Fire (board) -- that I have never played because they appear to be too different from what I know (Tiller titles, Combat Mission, Steel Panthers etc.) and thus require too much time and effort to learn.  But CMO was different.  A few years back, I committed myself to learning the system (starting with Baloogan's videos) and the whole thing very quickly clicked for me.  It's now my favorite post-WWII title.  I can't say why I am able to grasp CMO's system while remaining completely lost with Graviteam Tactics.  But the wiring in my brain accepted CMO even though it rejects others.

So my point is:  you maybe shouldn't reject this title because you think it is too complex.  If you are like me, you might be surprised how quickly you learn it.