Wolfpack AAR: Pink's Dilemma

Started by GaryMc, December 01, 2019, 10:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryMc

13:09:14.  Things just got a hair more complicated.

I've continued my approach run, poking up my scope from time to time. I'm a bit further out than I would like, but not in terrible position.

But, things are a bit more complex than they appear.  The convoy is currently WNW, which is still as expected.  However, the Corvette is now moving ENE.  Does that mean he has a snif of me?

GaryMc

All hail the mighty TDC   :notworthy:

I decided to fire off a single torpedo at about 4000y, using the TDC (center the cursor over the target and then press crtl to get a bearing line).  I lost sight of the ship during the run time, but I just got THIS notice.  On the other hand, things are about to get very nervous, with the Corvette coming after me.  I have a couple of choices. I can either go deep, hope for a thermocline and see if I can evade, or I can try to go down the throat of the Corvette.

As you may have noticed, I'm not a Prien.  I think some nice deep water sounds good.  I'll also turn to WNW, see if I can clear datum.

GaryMc

13:30:08

Looks like I may have shaken the Corvette.  I haven't heard any pings or DC or Hedgehogs, so I may have gotten away. A bit too early to try to climb above the layer though.

On the other hand,  my second sub is closing into the area.  If I'm lucky, while the Corvette is messing with U-358, U-584 may be able to feast.

GaryMc

Ouch. Spoke too soon.  I guess the Corvette had a better line on me than I thought.  I'd heard a few DC, but wasn't damaged, but then I got this:

Tripoli

Quote from: GaryMc on December 02, 2019, 08:55:29 PM
Ouch. Spoke too soon.  I guess the Corvette had a better line on me than I thought.  I'd heard a few DC, but wasn't damaged, but then I got this:

What was the proximate cause of death?  Hedgehogs?  I'm assuming that based on the lack of warning.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

GaryMc

Quote from: Tripoli on December 02, 2019, 09:03:08 PM
Quote from: GaryMc on December 02, 2019, 08:55:29 PM

What was the proximate cause of death?  Hedgehogs?  I'm assuming that based on the lack of warning.
Probably, but not entirely sure.  You don't get an ID of if you were killed by DC or Hedgehog, but I didn't hear a full pattern, so Hedgie is more likely.

GaryMc

And now, here we go again.  My second sub has gotten into visual range of the Corvette. It's due E of me. I haven't seen the transports yet, but I'll bet that they are well S of the Corvette.  If I have it in Periscope range, it's too tight for me to consider a speed run on the surface, so going to bear S, and hopefully get a good bearing on the merchies.  If the Corvette comes for me, I'll do my best Mush Morton and go for down the throats.

GaryMc

Here we go again.  Looks like I'm in a bit better position right now.  The corvette is far enough N of the transports that I think I'll be able to get much closer to the transports, and if I'm really lucky, fire my fish, go deep and clear the area before the corvette is able to isolate me. That's the plan at least.  You know what they say about plans.

GaryMc

14:31:09

Just raised my scope for another look, and things are looking really, really good.  I should be able to get shots at the remaining transports at around 2000 yards, and that cursed Corvette is 5000 yards behind me.  Plenty of time for me to fire, go deep and clear datum.  What will happen?  :crazy2:

GaryMc

Didn't get quite as close as I thought I would, but this should be good enough.  The line you see is the suggested torpedo course from the TDC.  I think I'll fire two, reserving two more for the other ships.

GaryMc

Yup, take a long odds shot at 4500 yards and manage to tag something, fire at 2200 yards with a 2 torpedo spread and it's a clean miss.  It's possible I'll pick up one of the later ships, as the last time I saw them, I had some overlap on targeting.

-budd-

Nice read, a 4000 yard hit, damn. How do you get more than one ship picture to show on the side? i use the new UI, can this be done on that UI?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

GaryMc

No, only in the older UI.  One of the reasons I prefer it.

GaryMc

Ok, closed into 1500 meters. Fired a spread of 3 at the transport. I did it by eye instead of TDC, so we'll see if my old Jutland torpedo skills are still up to par ::)   Also fired a reciprocal bearing shot at the Corvette coming up my backside. Doubt it'll hit, but we shall see.  No, go deep, head due E at low speed. Run silent, run deep.

GaryMc

To update, (no pic this time.)  I got one hit with my three spread, but that's all I know for sure at this point. Now, it's evade that corvette and figure out the course for Brittany.