War on the Sea coming soon! (from Killerfish Games)

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on February 12, 2021, 09:25:54 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 11, 2021, 06:39:24 PM
I broke down after watching some of Wolfpack's campaign videos. Oh well, I held out for a few days at least.

I too broke down last night for the same reasons.  Played for about an hour and I'm in love, quirks and all.

I enjoyed the tutorials. Haven't gotten any further yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I watched Wolf's videos too and was struck by the Japanese destroyers not reacting at all to 8 Avengers on their torpedo run, other than flak of course. I'm saying no evasive maneuvering or breaking formation, just straight ahead in-line. With 8 torps bearing down on them. And later getting shot to hell by U.S. warships and never returning fire once. I hope this game is great but looks like they've got some work to do to me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 12, 2021, 10:58:57 AM
I watched Wolf's videos too and was struck by the Japanese destroyers not reacting at all to 8 Avengers on their torpedo run, other than flak of course. I'm saying no evasive maneuvering or breaking formation, just straight ahead in-line. With 8 torps bearing down on them. And later getting shot to hell by U.S. warships and never returning fire once. I hope this game is great but looks like they've got some work to do to me.

Don't know nothin' about no Wolf's videos, but those Jap destroyers will rip you apart at night in my Custom battles (from which no video footage survives).  In other news, the game seems well optimized to cover such things as the Imperial Navy (AKA the Japs) destroyers in night actions.  My only complaint would be that all Jap warships carry the dreaded Long Lance torpedoes whereas I think in reality, some of the older ships carried earlier types of torpedoes...of course even those were much better than any USN torpedoes.

Also, its worth noting that the Imperial Navy did extremely well in the night cruiser and destroyer actions within the island chains.  I think the game covers those well.  I haven't looked at the more generic carrier battles were the Imperial Navy did not have any obvious advantages over the USN....though if you look at things in more detail, the Zero seems to have been the best barge-buster in the area, that is when the Japs went so far as to use Zeros for that sort of thing and if you count luggers as barges (actually they might have been more robust than the average barge).

Here are some luggers.  Obviously they vary a lot, but the US Army would have been using the larger luggers I would guess.

Jarhead0331

I don't think it is considered "politically correct" to refer to Japanese as "Japs" anymore.

I know that it is shorthand and no offense was intended. In the 19th century I think it was pretty neutral, but its derogatory use in WWII as a slur changed that. War makes it so we can't have anything simple.  :pullhair:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2021, 11:29:01 AM
I don't think it is considered "politically correct" to refer to Japanese as "Japs" anymore.

I know that it is shorthand and no offense was intended. In the 19th century I think it was pretty neutral, but its derogatory use in WWII as a slur changed that. War makes it so we can't have anything simple.  :pullhair:

Good point.  I'll try to stick to "Imperial" or "Japanese" as needed in the future.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on February 12, 2021, 11:38:26 AM

Good point.  I'll try to stick to "Imperial" or "Japanese" as needed in the future.

Arigatōgozaimashita
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2021, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 12, 2021, 11:38:26 AM

Arigatōgozaimashita

Sounds good!

And there's always:

Frontispiece from Nan'ō tantei kidan yūreikutsu, a novelized adaptation of an unidentified Italian film.

Sir Slash

I was referring to Wolfpack's Japanese Campaign video #1. Haven't watched the second one yet.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Opps. My bad. The video I was referring to was actually Wolfpack's, 'Solomon Sea Skirmish'. Sorry.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 12, 2021, 01:30:28 PM
Opps. My bad. The video I was referring to was actually Wolfpack's, 'Solomon Sea Skirmish'. Sorry.

I'm just saying, in my experience (actually playing scenarios I set up or the single battles), in the night actions that are typical of most of the
battles in the Solomons campaign, the IJN destroyers do very well (reacting and firing torpedoes and guns appropriately).

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2021, 09:34:34 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 12, 2021, 09:25:54 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 11, 2021, 06:39:24 PM
I broke down after watching some of Wolfpack's campaign videos. Oh well, I held out for a few days at least.

I too broke down last night for the same reasons.  Played for about an hour and I'm in love, quirks and all.

I enjoyed the tutorials. Haven't gotten any further yet.

Did the tutorials as well...been doing a lot of playing with the Custom Battles creator.  You can pretty much set up any encounter you want. It's a lot of fun and looks great.  Those early war Japanese ships are tough to take down and can inflict a lot of damage quite quickly.  Haven't touched the campaigns.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: MengJiao on February 12, 2021, 02:26:06 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 12, 2021, 01:30:28 PM

I'm just saying, in my experience (actually playing scenarios I set up or the single battles), in the night actions that are typical of most of the
battles in the Solomons campaign, the IJN destroyers do very well (reacting and firing torpedoes and guns appropriately).

I found them to be pretty good on offence but totally oblivious to being attacked by torpedoes.

Pete Dero

If you have weird behavior (caused by bugs) saving and reloading might fix things as shown in this Historical Gamer stream (around min. 45) : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/910620492

trek

Just created and played my FIRST naval engagement using the Custom Battle Editor. I'll preface this post with my initial thoughts on WOTS. Like many of you I bought this one on day one. All the criticisms of the game posted here and elsewhere are valid and I hope and expect the devs will improve on it as time goes on. The UI is especially problematic in many ways. However, I never considered refunding it because quite frankly there is nothing else on the market right now to compare with WOTS unless I go back and reinstall Battlestations Midway and BS Pacific. I also own Evil Twin's Victory at Sea and VAS Pacific. Played these two quite a bit and never really liked them. Just tried their Ironclad's demo and seems like more of the same. If you want to play Ironclads I'd suggest you get Dreadnoughts as they have some good scenarios with these vessels. I consider WOTS as one of my (FAW) "Fool Around With" games. It's like a study sim that you can relax and spend time with. Some pros I like about WOTS: Beautiful graphics, great music invoking past historical movies: The latest version of Midway comes to mind and best of all many options for gameplay. If they expand on this with future DLC WOTS will really come into it's own.

So getting to the Custom Battle Editor: I got a head start on this by watching YOUTUBER "Iron 7's" post "War on the Sea Custom Battle Editor Tutorial." No link provided because I'm old and lazy. And yes, the editor is as expected not very intuitive. But if you watch the video you will get the basics and can go from there. I started with a basic 4-on-4 Battleship duel. US Ships: North Carolina, Washington, Alabama and South Dakota vs Japan: Kongo, Hiei, Haruna and Kirishima. One thing I don't like is when you're placing your ships waypoints on the grid map you just have x1, x2 etc. but no lines connecting the dots and when you place the enemy waypoints on the map it doesn't show the previous waypoints of the opponents. So you have to remember where your first set was placed. You CAN save each custom battle setup which is a plus. Playing this custom battle was really exciting and controlling only four ships eases the micro-management aspect versus a larger engagement. Once you target each enemy ship with each of you own ships they will continue to follow their course and fire on their assigned targeted ships. Looking through the binoculars and watching your shells hit the enemy battlewagons never gets old. I expect to spend a lot of time with the the Battle Editor as I think this will keep me coming back to WOTS.

Anyway, among the other things previously mentioned the Battle Editor is the number one reason I wanted and decided to keep WOTS. It's like having you're own personal World of Warships study sim. And the possibilities are endless. Besides, I also own Killerfish's other games: Atlantic Fleet and Cold Waters and still play them frequently. Supporting these guys has been personally very rewarding.

Rayfer

Thanks trek....I easily located the iron 7 custom battle tutorial on YouTube and look forward to watching it this afternoon.  I've been playing around with the custom battle generator and your post is spot on regarding its strengths and weaknesses.  Bottom line is I'm enjoying this game in spite of its warts and areas needing improvement, and I haven't even touched the campaigns yet.