Main Menu

TacOps 4

Started by Jarhead0331, December 02, 2022, 09:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This game got a very brief mention in a totally unrelated thread and it got me curious...the "Command Modern Operations" of ground combat? How the hell did I ever miss this title?  :hide:

Well, I found it and have been playing it ever since. It is very damn cool. 

The UI is archaic, but totally functional and the tutorial does a good job of explaining the very basics of running a scenario. The OOBs and TOEs are phenomenal and there is a really good list of scenarios as of the latest build I've been able to find, 4.06.

In any event, if you have a hankering for professional level ground combat tactical action, I recommend you check it out. It was extremely easy to find, install and update and I didn't have to change anything to run it on a modern system. The windows are a little small, so perhaps that could be tweaked, but I've been enjoying playing it too much to try.

If anyone has it and knows of any scenarios, mods, tips, or tricks, etc., please do tell.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

The_Admiral

Oh the humanity! How could it escape you - it was made by a leatherneck, for leathernecks hehe :)) :coolsmiley:
Tacops is a very important step I think to appreciate better what games like Flashpoint or even Regiments are doing now in 2022 in regard of that scale. It was, remains a great achievement IMHO, and a sure way of providing oneself with real nail biting situations.
Maj.Holdridge did slide into darkness way before social media appeared so I don't know if he is still around, but he'd be one these people I need to shake hands with if I was ever to come across his path. A brilliant designer - and talented programmer too.

GDS_Starfury

spent a lot of time with the original game.  good to know it still lives on.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tripoli

I'm a long time TACOPs player.  Here's what will blow your mind:  The game came out in approximately 1994.  It was way before its time, and it still stands up well.  Some of us ex-military were using it for MBXs in the late 90's, which were a lot of fun.  A couple of NATO nations bought versions for training at the time, and I used a version of it to teach IPB concepts to reservists in the late 1990s.  Major Holdridge is still around, but I don't think he is doing any programing anymore.  We had a fairly active TACOPs mailing list that finally closed down earlier this year.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Bardolph

It is a brilliant game. And it has multiplayer multiplayer. Not just multiple people on a side, but multiple sides. So one could have "allied" units on the map, or even simply other units of your own forces outside of your command structure for example.

I wish someone could figure out how to scale it to modern monitor sizes (I've been tempted to add an old CRT monitor in glorious 800x600 to play on), but other than that it doesn't lack much. Sure, the graphics are simple, but the gameplay is rich. I wouldn't want 3d units for a game like TacOps anyway. The hard part is talking people into trying it. Most see the graphics and stop there.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bardolph on December 03, 2022, 09:50:26 AM
It is a brilliant game. And it has multiplayer multiplayer. Not just multiple people on a side, but multiple sides. So one could have "allied" units on the map, or even simply other units of your own forces outside of your command structure for example.

I wish someone could figure out how to scale it to modern monitor sizes (I've been tempted to add an old CRT monitor in glorious 800x600 to play on), but other than that it doesn't lack much. Sure, the graphics are simple, but the gameplay is rich. I wouldn't want 3d units for a game like TacOps anyway. The hard part is talking people into trying it. Most see the graphics and stop there.

One option you can try, which I do with all these older games.  Worked with TacOps as well.

Download and use a tool called Res-o-matic.....basically it allows you to setup running a game in lower resolution so the screen becomes very big to fill in a high res monitor (looks fine).  Then when you exit the game, it returns your desktop to normal.  This is better option than using Windows to scale as that happens for everything versus for specific games.  I have used this for years on older games (i.e. wds, tiller, etc.) where it helps greatly.

Bardolph

Thanks for the tip, will check it out. 

Edit:  That worked quite nicely. Thanks!

Redwolf

Big fan of TacOps4 here. Too bad it is essentially closed down now, including the mailing list.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on December 12, 2022, 02:34:14 PM
Big fan of TacOps4 here. Too bad it is essentially closed down now, including the mailing list.

I'm rarely late to the party, but some how I really dropped the ball on this one.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Weren't you seriously into Point of Attack recently?  How does TacOps4 compare to that?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on December 12, 2022, 04:48:59 PM
Weren't you seriously into Point of Attack recently?  How does TacOps4 compare to that?

I wouldn't say "seriously" but I did buy it and experiment with it. I feel like Tacops is the superior game and much easier to get into and grasp.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Saw this post on Facebook from the developer, wonder if we see something in the future....probably not but who knows

I.l. Holdridge
I'm still around. TacOps ... not so much.😎 I recently started picking at the old v4 code and the never publicly released v5. Spent some months finding the 2007 code packages for both and then getting them to compile for Windows 11 using Visual Studio 2022. Don't know if that will lead too anything