Pigs Gone Wild

Started by Labbug, September 21, 2020, 09:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The "feral swine bomb" is well known to those of us living in the Southeast. 

It is one of the many reasons why large magazine AR-15 variants are so popular when hunting. 

Every time I have heard a game warden speak in the last 20 years they mention two things:
1] Take kids hunting
and
2] Shoot every wild pig you see - even if you leave them to rot.

This is also why a lot of deer hunters carry a .45 handgun when hunting deer with bolt action rifles.  If you get treed by a group of wild hogs, the .45 can save your life.

Labbug

I know this has been a problem for a fair number of years, but it seems to becoming significantly worse.  The powers that be do not seem to take it seriously.

airboy

Quote from: Labbug on September 21, 2020, 12:51:57 PM
I know this has been a problem for a fair number of years, but it seems to be coming significantly worse.  The powers that be do not seem to take it seriously.

Many city people are clueless about nature, agriculture, and many other topics in rural areas.

demjansk1942

Up here in the north east we never here of this stuff, only when a hunter shoots a dog or person and thought it was a deer.  I don't know anything about feral pigs, can they be caught and eaten like regular pigs?  Sorry just don't know

solops

Yeah, you can eat some of them. The big, old ones are absolute hell to clean, and the older males stink too much to eat. Most of the females and the smaller hogs can be eaten, but it is a lot of work. Their skin and outer fat are TOUGH. Due to their "natural" diet their meat tastes off to many people. I speak from personal experience. I hunt hogs year round. The damage they do to crops and equipment runs a couple of billion dollars annually. They are blamed for  eliminating some native species from some areas.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

demjansk1942

Thanks Solops, sort of like the invasive fish species that people let loose in the lakes and rivers but this is on land.  Just thinking, send them to New York and then maybe the hogs can invade NYC and chase Deblasio and AOC out of New York.  Send a few to Martha's vineyard as well.  Also, they can help eat all the garbage in San Francisco and camp out in front of Pelosi's house.   This would be a good horror movie to be made for comedy.

JasonPratt

I'm legitimately amazed they haven't infected West TN yet.

They aren't really an invasive species, exactly; they've been around forever, but their natural predators have dropped off sharply.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

In a related note, check out the pig hunting videos on YouTube (no linky from me, so go look on your own) where they seed an area and then use Tannerite to make piggys go boom.

demjansk1942

I don't think we should have them suffer.  It's not their fault this has come about.  Just be humane in killing them.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

I'm thinking the the Murder Hornets will kill them off. Or maybe the poison bladed caterpillars. Or maybe the other way around. God help us if they interbreed though.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Murder Hornets will make them stronger.

...and possibly vice versa.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

The Problem:

Hogs.
Eat.
EVERYTHING.

Including bee hives, wasp nests, poisonous snakes, etc.

solops

Really good pig bait - get a big tub. Pour in 50 pounds or more of corn. Add enough water to cover the corn. Let it sour for two weeks. Pour off excessive water. Add a gallon of diesel. Stir. Percolate a few days. Put at your favorite hog infested hunting spot. Stand back out of the way and start shooting hogs. I didn't believe it at first, but the diesel flavoring does not deter the hogs, but keeps other critters from eating your bait. If you are lucky you'll get some maggots. Hogs REALLY love that.