Started by MetalDog, September 25, 2020, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ubercat

Cool thread!

Did you know ....

... that the man who bought me my first margarita later mugged my best friend and stole his boots? (about a year later and I hadn't even met my best friend yet when he was mugged)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

I don't know which of the above posts is more better.

Relatedly - Cpt. Kidd allegedly buried his treasure haul somewhere in the NYC area and to this day it has yet to be found.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Me either, but your grammar is moar bad.  C:-)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: MetalDog on September 25, 2020, 05:57:21 PM
..that a commissioned U.S. Navy destroyer is allowed to fly the Jolly Roger?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/reason-why-u-navy-destroyer-134800036.html

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the story. I think US subs sometimes fly the Jolly Rodger when returning from a mission.

MetalDog

Wasn't sure how common knowledge this was.  Glad you all found it interesting.

Quote from: Ubercat on September 25, 2020, 06:30:08 PM
Cool thread!

Did you know ....

... that the man who bought me my first margarita later mugged my best friend and stole his boots? (about a year later and I hadn't even met my best friend yet when he was mugged)

Good catch on the thread thingy.  It was certainly my intention for this to be a "thing."  As for your bestie and the mugger, how did you ever put those two things together?  You must have still associated with the drink buyer after you met your best friend.

JasonPratt

Ah, I didn't know that about either the Kidd or US Subs! -- though the subs make a lot of intrinsic sense.

...that the Luftwaffe built the first helicopter to reach actual production?

Me neither until today! Its performance specs were surprisingly modern.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on September 25, 2020, 07:22:55 PM

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the story. I think US subs sometimes fly the Jolly Rodger when returning from a mission.

thats for when they pull off sneaky things.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 25, 2020, 08:30:03 PM
Quote from: MOS:96B2P on September 25, 2020, 07:22:55 PM

thats for when they pull off sneaky things.

Yes, it is.  I found an article on it linked below.   :arr:   :)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a28209/navy-spy-sub-jolly-roger-uss-jimmy-carter/

MetalDog

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2020, 08:10:23 PM
Ah, I didn't know that about either the Kidd or US Subs! -- though the subs make a lot of intrinsic sense.

Those were some impressive numbers the narrator described.  And the way it moved and looked was very modern I thought.

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2020, 08:10:23 PM

They have one in the Air & Space Museum at Dulles.   

Ubercat

Quote from: MetalDog on September 25, 2020, 08:07:10 PM
Wasn't sure how common knowledge this was.  Glad you all found it interesting.

Quote from: Ubercat on September 25, 2020, 06:30:08 PM
Cool thread!

Did you know ....

Good catch on the thread thingy.  It was certainly my intention for this to be a "thing."  As for your bestie and the mugger, how did you ever put those two things together?  You must have still associated with the drink buyer after you met your best friend.

No, I actually saw the mugger several times after the drinks. We weren't ever what I'd consider friends but we knew some people in common.

My friend told me about the mugging shortly after we met. It had led to him being with the gf he had at the time because she discovered him stumbling along on the street and took him to her apartment. Several months later we saw the mugger and my friend identified him to me. Coincidentally, that's the last time I saw the mugger.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

Apparently, it is now possible to build a retractable lightsabre made out of plasma.

"So, this plasma is running at about 4000 degrees Celsius, which means it can cut through... a lot." -- waves it absently nearby toward the propane tank currently fueling it...  :hide: :timeout: :wow:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

thats not a lightsaber, its a propane torch.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.