Ultimate General: American Revolution

Started by al_infierno, November 16, 2020, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Boggit on November 18, 2020, 06:09:10 PM
Careful what you say... don't forget that both sides were technically "Brits" at the time cousin Jonathan! There is a reason why they were called "rebels" and also why there was also considerable sympathy in some quarters of Westminster, and in England generally as this was not seen as a "foreign war" - at least not until the evil, garlic breath French got involved (I hope you're listening Sauron!  >:D  ;D ;)). People like Thomas Paine were English and George Washington's grandfather was born about 10 miles from my father's place of birth...

https://time.com/5326345/british-american-revolution-1776/
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL3293365M/British_supporters_of_the_American_revolution_1775-1783

Heh, this comment reminds me of that episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where they flash back to their (however many great) grandparents at the start of the Revolution, who are drafting up a Declaration of Dependence because they're absolutely sure the Crown will win the war, and they don't want to be punished as "rebels."   ;D

(Couldn't find this particular gag in question on YouTube, but this one's pretty good too.)

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Destraex

Boston was all about the American tyrant merchant class not wanting cheap British imported tea!  :-X
Sorry just revisting this after looking into Game Labs acquisition. I had forgotten it was even in development.

You can even get it in early access now. The new owners will probably loot box  it :P
https://www.ug1775.com/?fbclid=IwAR2kONiPum0dmuN7FwcAnjW6LJ-KgW3lYh_niCU-4DWVktEWIKVfVMmFLKE
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on May 13, 2021, 08:47:35 AM
Boston was all about the American tyrant merchant class not wanting cheap British imported tea!  :-X
Sorry just revisting this after looking into Game Labs acquisition. I had forgotten it was even in development.

You can even get it in early access now. The new owners will probably loot box  it :P
https://www.ug1775.com/?fbclid=IwAR2kONiPum0dmuN7FwcAnjW6LJ-KgW3lYh_niCU-4DWVktEWIKVfVMmFLKE

Do you have direct link to gaining access?  When I click on BUY button, still says not ready for purchase yet.

Destraex

When I click on the link it also just has a way to subscribe to a newsletter. 

I previously did not click the link but got my info from this statement just above the "buy now" button;
"The game is currently in active development. With the "Limited Edition" you immediately gain access to the development build and start playing!"
I clicked it and just got an invitation to join a newsletter for the game.
https://www.ug1775.com/buypage

Here is what a friend said about the American Revolutionary Wars: Fact or Fiction?
"The revolution was more about stealing land off the Indians, the British had limited the expansion of the colonies with treaties which land speculators like Washington wanted to overturn. Taxs were next to nothing back then and no more than an excuse."

I think his info comes from this book:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Rebels-Redcoats-American-Revolutionary-War-ebook/dp/B00HY5EXTI?fbclid=IwAR1s4WAUklkrKJLrn2t_xVKLlEheOrsMWduvGxyOClO3T463SIEcCAku8HY

Anguille

One game i will get for sure. Would love to see them use this engine for ancient Greece and the like.....

glen55

Quote from: Destraex on May 13, 2021, 05:23:07 PM
<snip>

Here is what a friend said about the American Revolutionary Wars: Fact or Fiction?
"The revolution was more about stealing land off the Indians, the British had limited the expansion of the colonies with treaties which land speculators like Washington wanted to overturn. Taxs were next to nothing back then and no more than an excuse."

I think his info comes from this book:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Rebels-Redcoats-American-Revolutionary-War-ebook/dp/B00HY5EXTI?fbclid=IwAR1s4WAUklkrKJLrn2t_xVKLlEheOrsMWduvGxyOClO3T463SIEcCAku8HY

Just so happens I've read a few American Revolution books recently, as I'm in kind of a phase of picking off one by one eras and topics of history that I've never been much into.

I think your friend's idea is partially true. The underlying cause of the war is that the British wanted to just use the colonies as a piggy bank for their wars with the French, including by restricting westward expansion to authorized Crown proprietors (or alternatively, by forbidding it to try to make peace with the French). Genearlly, as the colonies became more self-sufficient and more capable of self-defense they reached a point where they didn't have to put up with that crap any more. It was a prickly situation but probably solvable until a reactionary Parliament became more interested in sending messages to the colonists to put them in their place than in fixing things, and passed the Intolerable Acts. That really pissed the Americans off, and things escalated from there, as neither side was willing to back down.

Expansion restriction was certainly key to getting the land-owners in on the thing, but it was also critical to get the town merchants into it because they were better able to popularize the idea of rebellion. So you certainly can't overlook the punitive taxes and duties, especially in the Intolerable Acts.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Destraex

Thanks for the rebuttal glen55.
I myself have never been much into American history. I know more about the American civil war than the revolutionary war of American independence. I really must read for myself one day. Perhaps closer to this threads games release.
I believe the book he read went with a surprise surprise, British Historian's documentary series.

As always I look for bias in sources and seek to balance that bias.

What books did you read by the way?

Skoop

Yeah des, leave our revolution alone.  Just cause you aussies didn't have the balls to do one.....Lol I'm purely joking bruh.  No disrespect.  Just breaking your balls in "Good Fellas" way to quote the movie.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Trying to portray such a complex event as "due to one thing" is a bit of an oversimplification, whatever that one thing might be...

My sense is that it was, among other things, also a disastrous failure of British diplomacy, where a months-long command loop meant that orders and authorizations arriving in the hands of British representatives in the colony were out-of-date, tone-deaf, and unintentionally inflammatory.  They also seemed to be guided more by domestic political considerations within England than they were by any common-sense analysis of the facts of the situation involving the two parties. 

Put those two things together, add all the kindling caused by diverging interests of English and Colonies land owners and merchants, the "Intolerable Acts", mix in a few other ingredients, and you had the fire we Americans call the Revolutionary War.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on May 16, 2021, 06:40:13 PM
Yeah des, leave our revolution alone.  Just cause you aussies didn't have the balls to do one.....Lol I'm purely joking bruh.  No disrespect.  Just breaking your balls in "Good Fellas" way to quote the movie.

All good.  All we could muster was this; these days they call it a battle. In other countries it would not even be mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion

We ended up with this symbol of rebellion and Australiana from it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Flag

Destraex

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 16, 2021, 09:02:48 PM
Yeah.  Trying to portray such a complex event as "due to one thing" is a bit of an oversimplification, whatever that one thing might be...

My sense is that it was, among other things, also a disastrous failure of British diplomacy, where a months-long command loop meant that orders and authorizations arriving in the hands of British representatives in the colony were out-of-date, tone-deaf, and unintentionally inflammatory.  They also seemed to be guided more by domestic political considerations within England than they were by any common-sense analysis of the facts of the situation involving the two parties. 

Put those two things together, add all the kindling caused by diverging interests of English and Colonies land owners and merchants, the "Intolerable Acts", mix in a few other ingredients, and you had the fire we Americans call the Revolutionary War.

I really must read about it in detail some time. If only to be informed in detail about the beginnings of the USA. I actually got all three volumes of shelby footes civil war history but am yet to find the time or inspiration to read that. That will probably happen when a game or movie inspires me again.

Tripoli

Quote from: Destraex on May 17, 2021, 05:00:21 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 16, 2021, 09:02:48 PM

I really must read about it in detail some time. If only to be informed in detail about the beginnings of the USA. I actually got all three volumes of shelby footes civil war history but am yet to find the time or inspiration to read that. That will probably happen when a game or movie inspires me again.

If I may suggest McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" for a excellent, single volume history of the US Civil War.  It has excellent analysis and being only a single volume is less of a time suck than Footes' history.    https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-Freedom-Civil-War/dp/019516895X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=Battle+Cry+of+Freedom&qid=1582075681&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=cwmonitor-20&linkId=632fe786287b90f2ea173e35b9dc1771&language=en_US
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

^ Concur on the McPherson recommendation.  Shelby Foote is a good read but it is a real commitment to get through all 3 volumes.  I did it, but it took a while and a few starts.

I actually don't know much about the American Revolution either.  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it's the truth.  I took an elective in school on George Washington and so I was able to pick up quite a bit about the Revolution through that, but I've never sat down and made a dedicated study of it.  I really should do that.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs