Matrixgames Warplan Pacific

Started by steve58, December 06, 2020, 06:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

devoncop

Looks good but the Chinese and Japanese colours do need more differentiation.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

MengJiao

Quote from: devoncop on March 11, 2021, 12:40:48 PM
Looks good but the Chinese and Japanese colours do need more differentiation.

No kidding.  Other than that...looks okay.  I'll probably try it eventually.  Maybe even when it first comes out.

al_infierno

Looks great to me, looking forward to this one as I loved the first WarPlan.  "War in the Pacific map with an easier complexity level" sounds right up my alley.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

I'm watching it too. Fingers crossed.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on March 11, 2021, 08:21:16 PM
Looks great to me, looking forward to this one as I loved the first WarPlan.  "War in the Pacific map with an easier complexity level" sounds right up my alley.

I watched the stream and despite not buying Warplan Europe it really does look good. The clincher for me is proper fog of war mechanics with Warplan Europe lacked with the naval game. The Pacific game appears to have a really interesting unique approach involving codebreaking/counter intelligence  measures and spotting rules that should really ramp up the tension in the cat and mouse fleet operations in this theatre.

devoncop

Matrix announced today this one releases on 29th April.... :smitten:

With WITE2 and this game Matrix are pushing some good stuff out this year.

MengJiao

Quote from: devoncop on March 24, 2021, 12:00:56 PM
Matrix announced today this one releases on 29th April.... :smitten:

With WITE2 and this game Matrix are pushing some good stuff out this year.

Wonderful!!!

steve58

I would love for this to be a Day 1 purchase for me, but I'm gonna wait until I can use my Anniversary Coupon on it next year.  This years coupon expired unspent :( as there weren't any MG titles I wanted to pick up.  Also, and I thank you in advance, this will let you guys weed out all those nasty little bugs. :bd:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Johnnie

The Shrapnel game was, and is, an under-rated little gem. With a little tinkering with the victory conditions (available in the Shrapnel forums) it is a quick, simple and surprisingly historical simulation of the war in the Pacific theatre.  And a lot of fun.  Don't know if it is still available.  But I am happy I have a copy. 

88mmkwk

Strategy Gaming Dojo put out his first video of WarPlan Pacific in a "Let's Play/Tutorial" format.  He is the best in the business IMHO in making wargame vids to learn how to play a game.

https://youtu.be/M_L6W5dZZmc

What I can't figure out is how the heck he keeps all the game rules straight in his head. :nerd:  I mean the guy is concurrently playing WitE, WitE2, WitP:AE and now WP:Pacific!  And don't even ask me where he finds the time for all this!!

In the first WP:Pac video, he is pleasantly surprised at the aggressive moves of the Japanese AI.  I'm also tracking his WitP:AE playthrough and the WP:Pac Japanese quickly goes after areas the WitP:AE AI does not... 

He has an uncanny knack for making me purchase games he plays, and it looks like this will no be exception....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Sir Slash

I saw that and am intrigued by the game, especially the logistics. Could be a real winner.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

devoncop

That and the hidden fleet and  intel/code encryption  mechanics are pretty unique.

Very impressed.

It's just the scale and AI capability I am waiting to evaluate....Strategy gaming dojo is indeed the acid test as far as I am concerned  :bd:

Toonces

I just sort of clicked through the video without sound, but from the gist of what I saw I'm really liking the looks of the game.  Very boardgamey. 

This just moved to the front of my radar.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I'm play testing now. Standby for impressions. Been distracted by a bunch of stuff...trying to focus!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18