Combat Mission: Cold War

Started by IICptMillerII, February 15, 2021, 11:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Quote from: smithcorp on November 16, 2021, 06:37:16 PM
Got a notification that CM: Cold War is now out on Steam. $85AU, so pretty steep. Do Battlefront games ever go on sale on Steam?

There is a discount right now for the 3 modern CM games, on Steam.

Note that the Steam version doesn't work on Win11 right now.

Gusington

Looking right now to finally try a Combat Mission game. I'm interested in Cold War and Black Sea. Anyone have a preference? I only want to pick up one to start and I'm leaning towards Cold War.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Gus, if you have never played CM before, you many want to consider starting off with one of the WWII CM titles.  My reason for this suggestion are as follows:
1) IMHO, CM map sizes work best with WWII-era weapon ranges.  I believe the modern games have too little space for the modern systems. (having said that, I'll be buying CM Cold War.  Its just I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time CM player)
2) There are more WWII scenarios available

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sigwolf

Quote from: smithcorp on November 16, 2021, 06:37:16 PM
Got a notification that CM: Cold War is now out on Steam. $85AU, so pretty steep. Do Battlefront games ever go on sale on Steam?
Yes, they go on sale on Steam, and during Matrix sales (which come with Steam keys).  Given the Steam release is new, I would not expect much, if any, discount this year.  However, the days of having to pay full price for Battlefront games, even if they were released a decade ago, are hopefully ending.  (Yes, I know Cold War is not that old, but anyone familiar with Battlefront knows what I am talking about.)

smithcorp

Thanks - I'll keep it on my wishlist in hopes of a sale. I have Black Sea and Shockforce from BF, so the bundle isn't a benefit.

Redwolf

Quote from: smithcorp on November 16, 2021, 11:18:17 PM
Thanks - I'll keep it on my wishlist in hopes of a sale. I have Black Sea and Shockforce from BF, so the bundle isn't a benefit.

Apparently you get the 20% off CW if you already have SF2 and BS in your Steam account. Might be worth trying.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Gusington on November 16, 2021, 09:28:41 PM
Looking right now to finally try a Combat Mission game. I'm interested in Cold War and Black Sea. Anyone have a preference? I only want to pick up one to start and I'm leaning towards Cold War.

Definitely do not start with Black Sea. The hardware in that game is brutal and if you are unfamiliar with how CM works it will be a senseless endeavor in frustration.

I'll echo Tripoli's advise to start with WW2. Or, if you want modern stuff, go with CW or SF2.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Redwolf

CW. Just a good fit for the CM engine and great fun.

Gusington

Thanks Tripoli, Yassy and Redwolf...will continue perusing 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sigwolf

Quote from: smithcorp on November 16, 2021, 11:18:17 PM
If you have both through Battlefront, you can link them to a Matrix/Slitherine account.  That will generate Steam keys that you can then use to own them on Steam and take advantage of the 20% bundle discount for just CW.

Sir Slash

I've played all the WWII CM games all the way back to the demo for CMBO. When Shockforce came out I tried out the demo and was baffled by the newer weapon systems. CM Has always been a system that doesn't have Hit Points that fill-up before something is destroyed or some other way of scoring kills. In these games, if it sees you, it can probably kill you, or disable, rout, suppress, or damage with one hit.

If a Russian 45mm AT Gun could kill my Panzer 3's from 600 meters in 1941, you can imagine what the weapons of 1970-80 can do. I agree with others here, start with something less lethal to try to manage first.  But other than the price, this game does look very, 'Loin-Moistening'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on November 17, 2021, 07:56:19 AM
Thanks Tripoli, Yassy and Redwolf...will continue perusing 😎

Just to add to what the others have all said (and no doubt some persuaders have told you this before), there is demo for CMBN (and all CM games tend to play pretty much the same) so you could see if it's your thing before parting with the readies

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P

IMO all the Combat Mission games are good and come with an editor.  Given the choice between CM Black Sea and CM Cold War my personal bias would be for CM Cold War.  In CM Cold War you will see the technology evolving from late WW2.  You can command a US force composed of M48 tanks and M113 APCs in one scenario or M1 Abrams and M2 Bradleys in another scenario.  The Soviet Motorized Rifle Battalions (MRB) can have BTRs or BMPs.  In the CMCW base game timeframe, 1979 to 1982, the technology between NATO and the Warsaw Pact is competitive.  CMCW also tends to have big maps with many of the stock scenarios.

Gusington

^Those are some loin moistening screen shots.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd