Combat Mission: Cold War

Started by IICptMillerII, February 15, 2021, 11:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Redwolf

Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2021, 01:20:09 PM
Is that an M60?

Yeah, the entire game is full of M60s.

Early Abrams is in, too, as well as some leftover M48.

MOS:96B2P

Yes it's an M-60 Patton on the MGB.  There are seven versions of the M-60, an M48A5 Patton and a 105mm Abrams.  Below are some screenshots of the Cold War US tanks in NTC terrain.  Back row are three of the M60s.  Front row is M48 and M1.  I hope a future module brings in the M551 Sheridan and others.   

Gusington

Thanks, those models looks solid.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Edited the title to something a little more relevant with regards to search queries.  ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Redwolf

That M60A2 with the 152mm gun is a beast in the game, especially at long range.

MOS:96B2P

Here are the M113s in the game set in the National Training Center (NTC) environment.

FarAway Sooner

I just reread Red Storm Rising a few months ago.  Man, was that a fun read, even if Clancy's technology usually worked a bit more reliably than IRL!

Did we ever figure out how effective TOWs or Apaches were against T72s?  Or whether the M1A1's stabilization technology really put it in a different class than anything the Russians could field in terms of shooting on the move? 

I remember a ton of weapons systems that all looked good on paper but never ended up being deployed in combat until 1991, against an undertrained and overbombed Iraqi army that melted like butter in the desert.  After all these years, I can't even remember when the Bradleys finally replaced the M113s, when the F16s replaced the F4s, when the Leopards rolled out en masse, or when the M1A1 got its teething problems worked out.

I do remember, by 1990s, the Danes had at least one tank.  I saw it on a railroad siding once!

Redwolf

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

ArizonaTank

So what is the status of CM Cold War?  I look at the Battlefront page and it is apparently still in beta...with PBEM coming with the full release. The web page mentions July 21 (it is now October 21), so wondering...is it finished? or still waiting that final patch?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

The game has been fully released for a while, but Battlefront are absolutely atrocious at updating their website and keeping their communications consistent.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 06, 2021, 11:12:08 AM
So what is the status of CM Cold War?  I look at the Battlefront page and it is apparently still in beta...with PBEM coming with the full release. The web page mentions July 21 (it is now October 21), so wondering...is it finished? or still waiting that final patch?

That July thing is the patch with PBEM++. That patch is heavily delayed. The currently released version works just fine, with normal PBEM.

Destraex

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 04, 2021, 12:35:15 AM
I just reread Red Storm Rising a few months ago.  Man, was that a fun read, even if Clancy's technology usually worked a bit more reliably than IRL!

Did we ever figure out how effective TOWs or Apaches were against T72s?  Or whether the M1A1's stabilization technology really put it in a different class than anything the Russians could field in terms of shooting on the move? 

I remember a ton of weapons systems that all looked good on paper but never ended up being deployed in combat until 1991, against an undertrained and overbombed Iraqi army that melted like butter in the desert.  After all these years, I can't even remember when the Bradleys finally replaced the M113s, when the F16s replaced the F4s, when the Leopards rolled out en masse, or when the M1A1 got its teething problems worked out.

I do remember, by 1990s, the Danes had at least one tank.  I saw it on a railroad siding once!

I wonder if they tested all this after the curtain came down and they got access to some Ruskintech. Even the Iraqi tanks were only export versions iirc.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

smithcorp

Got a notification that CM: Cold War is now out on Steam. $85AU, so pretty steep. Do Battlefront games ever go on sale on Steam?