War in the east 2 coming soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabius

I sort of tried to resist.

But in the end I had to pre-order.

Reasons:
This will be the ultimate WW2 and East Front game for a good while.

I've played games like Hoi4 many times hoping to get a good East Front titanic battle and been disappointed many times. Black Ice came close, and now trying World Ablaze mod. I am confident that WitE2 will not disappoint here.

After seeing Let's Plays and giving War in the East 1 a proper spin, then I'm confident that WitE2 is not as intimidating once you know what's going on. In fact I could argue that it's less micro than Hoi4

East Front is a special case and draw for wargaming. Two titanic heavyweights that looked like it could go either way. (Arguable I know) But still, like the best entertaining sport, it went one way, then the next and a gruelling match. Anybody remember the classic boxing, Ali Fraser, etc? Sugar Ray Leonard, oh the days.

It's a game that gives me a truest 'operational-tactical' feel, and realism feel, and with strategic decisions.

Massive immersion!

All of the improvements of WitE2 over the first look great, well thought out and implemented. Cleaner and more accessible UI is welcome too.

al_infierno

Quote from: fabius on March 25, 2021, 09:17:55 AM
I sort of tried to resist.

But in the end I had to pre-order.

Reasons:
This will be the ultimate WW2 and East Front game for a good while.

I've played games like Hoi4 many times hoping to get a good East Front titanic battle and been disappointed many times. Black Ice came close, and now trying World Ablaze mod. I am confident that WitE2 will not disappoint here.

After seeing Let's Plays and giving War in the East 1 a proper spin, then I'm confident that WitE2 is not as intimidating once you know what's going on. In fact I could argue that it's less micro than Hoi4

East Front is a special case and draw for wargaming. Two titanic heavyweights that looked like it could go either way. (Arguable I know) But still, like the best entertaining sport, it went one way, then the next and a gruelling match. Anybody remember the classic boxing, Ali Fraser, etc? Sugar Ray Leonard, oh the days.

It's a game that gives me a truest 'operational-tactical' feel, and realism feel, and with strategic decisions.

Massive immersion!

All of the improvements of WitE2 over the first look great, well thought out and implemented. Cleaner and more accessible UI is welcome too.

+1
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

Man. Wanna get this but ain't got the dosh handy (thanks taxes) at the moment.  Sigh.

ArizonaTank

Just happened to have my anniversary coupon available...made pulling the trigger a no brainer.

I opened it up for a few minutes at lunch...  Damn. I had forgotten how long it took me to learn WitE and WitW...this one is going to take some time as well. But the interface seems much cleaner...and that is saying something because WitE was already pretty good.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 25, 2021, 02:10:53 PM
Just happened to have my anniversary coupon available...made pulling the trigger a no brainer.

I opened it up for a few minutes at lunch...  Damn. I had forgotten how long it took me to learn WitE and WitW...this one is going to take some time as well. But the interface seems much cleaner...and that is saying something because WitE was already pretty good.

Well Arizona....

You win "Most ambitious guy on the internet today"  award with the " opened it up for a few minutes at lunch"  remark  :DD

I downloaded it and wont be even attempting to get going until I have watched the Strategy Dojo tutorials and have the hardback manual in my sticky paws !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

One thing I can attest to right off the bat is that the intro cinematic is freakin' awesome.  It's like the intro theme to a Band of Brothers: Ostfront, if such a thing existed.   :smitten:

Also, Mr. Dojo has a tutorial video online already:

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Got a minor victory on the Road to Minsk 2-turn scenario.  I'm still not totally sure how air directives work as I've never played WitW, but thankfully I managed to get through a scenario without accidentally clearing the preset orders.   :2funny:   Eagerly awaiting Strategy Dojo's video on air war because I seriously have no clue what I'm doing there.

Overall this game is definitely a hit for me, but we'll see how I feel once the honeymoon phase wears off.  Two turns isn't exactly enough to get a good look at the new logistics system, and there were no secondary theaters to speak of except the reserves, but there's little QOL improvements like the turn summary, and the WitEpedia which has a description for just about every individual division in the game.  It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but the little improvements are nice.  A lot of people on /r/computerwargames complain that the lack of a total UI overhaul is basically a dealbreaker, which I think is a bit harsh.

- MengJiao

Father Ted

Quote from: devoncop on March 25, 2021, 03:00:03 PM

I downloaded it and wont be even attempting to get going until I have watched the Strategy Dojo tutorials and have the hardback manual in my sticky paws !

I have the manual for WitW and don't find it very useful tbh.  It's basically an encyclopedia of the game rather than something that helps you understand how to play it.

ingeptegen1

It will probably be a great game.  However, I have so many games on the Eastern Front that I don't want to play them anymore marine equipment wholesaler
.  I hope it's a good one for you guys.

W8taminute

For those of you who have the game I've got two questions:

1. Have you started the grand campaign?
2. If so what is the mean time between turns?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

fabius

Still on my learning mission Road to Leningrad.

I will say that we can dial back the amount of info we get in Air phase and others, and zips along fast for my 10 yr old-ish rig.

fabius

Will add. Completely NOT disappointed.

Has exceeded my expectations. It's like the improvement from of all the changes exceeds the sum of each individual change.

Sir Slash

What's kind of weird is WitE 1 is more expensive than WitE 2 right now at the Matrix site. I'm curious to see if the sales of the first game stay up or drop-off.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

solops

Sorry, guys. I find myself underwhelmed. I own every other GG East front title, back to the original for the Apple IIe in the '80s. This one offers the fewest advances for the most? money. I'll pass until it is a reasonable  20 bucks or less (being only a glorified DLC/patch). I can wait for years, if I live that long. If I don't, the money will have gone to steaks, booze and my wife.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

fabius

I think that's a fair comment solops. I don't agree with you but can definitely see how it could feel that way.
Thing is for me I had WitE 1 and never gave it much time. So much of the appeal is new to me. And I'm getting a similar not much is different way with Paradox games in general. Whole new games, different era, different mechanics, but feeling Paradox samey.

That said, the way I've come to it, all the new changes combine to make WitE2 very engaging and immersive. Starting to get a feel formations, and memory of certain hard points. My own Brest fortress hardpoint battles that sting me. Just one example, I'm still very mindful of an early turn battle that knocked out over 50 of my divisions tanks.