Main Menu

Aliens: Fireteam

Started by al_infierno, March 02, 2021, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1549970/Aliens_Fireteam/

Looks like a Left 4 Dead style third person shooter set in the Aliens universe.  I'm a total sucker for anything Alien related, especially something that lets me irreverantly throw out quotes as they apply to my current situation.  (Can they cut the power and come out of the goddamn walls?  Time will tell!)  I'll almost certainly grab this at some point.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Whoooo boy, that looks to be a hoot.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I too am usually a sucker for Aliens stuff. I played aliens colonial marines when it came out and stuck with it even though it was pretty broken.
I will probably get Aliens on 4k disc when it arrives.
But for some reason I cannot get excited about this title. I don't like FPS as much anymore and this game looks to be multi-platform third person. In it's favour it's coop and the subject matter is aliens.
I tried to like space hulk deathwing, but it just gets boring fighting waves. Left for dead games just bore me these days. This is why I am also not that excited about the new 40k wave based game, Dark Tide. Because the bots just look like zombies under a different name with no real new experience or learning to be had. Vermintide 1 & 2 I think were the ones that kinda put me off, the whole ring the bell for a wave of enemy seemed kinda disingenuous.

I have fireteam on my wishlist now. Hope it works out.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I friggin' knew it. Why I would have expected anything otherwise...I dunno?

This game has Aliens...."and that's about it."

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Goddammit...oh well I can always reinstall Isolation.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/aliens-fireteam-elite

If you can round up a pair of Alien-loving friends and don't mind replaying a samey collection of missions, then Aliens: Fireteam Elite can be fun in bursts. If you're embarking on this bug hunt solo, then I'd suggest reconsidering.

https://www.pcgamer.com/aliens-fireteam-elite-review/

A fun and flexible swarm shooter that's a little too reliant on being played alongside friends.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-23-aliens-fireteam-elite-review-throwaway-thrills

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is exactly what it says on the tin. Stuffed with guns, gadgets, and plentiful alien goo, it's a frenetic cooperative firefight against some of sci-fi's most iconic monsters in an all-new tale that takes us beyond the original trilogy. No, it's not the most sophisticated shooter, and no, its truncated runtime is unlikely to occupy you for more than a couple of nights, but it's an unashamedly good romp that'll hopefully satisfy your Ripley power fantasies, too.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/aliens-fireteam-elite-review/

Entertaining to play, but light on content and too repetitive in spots, Aliens: Fireteam Elite isn't without its charms. But the purchase price is a little high for what you get.

Recurring statement in the reviews : only for co-op.

More reviews : https://www.bluesnews.com/s/239850/aliens-fireteam-elite-reviews

al_infierno

Ouch...

At least Space Beast Terror Fright is still a pretty good Aliens style shooter.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Good news is that it appears to be on MS game pass, so I'll probably check it out.

Sorry fellas...this is NOT on MS game pass.  :'(

Bad intel.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Steam reviews are...mostly positive!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

By and large, most content reviewers are describing it as dull, repetitive, and lacking in content, yet still rating it overall above average. I keep coming back to videos of gameplay and come away convinced that I'll play this for 10 minutes and then never play it again...but then I look at the steam reviews and on average, they are "very positive". It either says that my gaming habits and expectations have changed, or the average steam reviewer is of very below average intelligence and is very easily entertained.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^Both, most definitely.

That said I am still going to pick this up, when it's on sale for 5.00.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Yesterday I watched a few streams on Twitch and I got the idea that when 4 people, who know each other, played together they were having fun.
But watching the streams for more than a few minutes was boring.   
For me as a single player guy this game is a definitive no.   It has non of the tension and atmosphere a game like Alien Isolation had.

And about Steam reviews : this player gave it a positive score and just mentioned one thing : 'At least it's not Colonial Marines'.
If you have low standards it is easier to be pleased.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 25, 2021, 07:59:31 AM
Yesterday I watched a few streams on Twitch and I got the idea that when 4 people, who know each other, played together they were having fun.
But watching the streams for more than a few minutes was boring.   
For me as a single player guy this game is a definitive no.   It has non of the tension and atmosphere a game like Alien Isolation had.

And about Steam reviews : this player gave it a positive score and just mentioned one thing : 'At least it's not Colonial Marines'.
If you have low standards it is easier to be pleased.

I thought it was only 3 players, which is actually one of the major criticisms, even from some of those who claim to like it....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog