Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I thought I saw one today. But it turns out it was just me in the bathroom mirror getting out of the shower.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 16, 2021, 10:13:12 PM
I thought I saw one today. But it turns out it was just me in the bathroom mirror getting out of the shower.  :hide:

QuoteClad only in flimsy loincloths, the fanatics whip themselves into a frenzy by chanting, beating themselves and drinking heavily.

A regular Friday night at home watching [insert your favourite sport] then.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

AchillesLastStand

The game is advertised at coming in at a whopping 70 GBs.
Kinda hard for me to believe even with the additional 4K textures and such.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

I can kind of believe it, scaling up from what were basically 480p graphics (usually provided in 720 or better resolution).

My problem is that the graphics don't look all that much better than before. So what's all that extra detail going toward?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 18, 2021, 03:27:00 PM
I can kind of believe it, scaling up from what were basically 480p graphics (usually provided in 720 or better resolution).

My problem is that the graphics don't look all that much better than before. So what's all that extra detail going toward?
Spyware?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 18, 2021, 03:27:00 PM

Pretty much my view.

If they had done a substantial overhaul using - and crediting the modders - ideas, extra territories and skins from Rome Total Realism, and Europa Barbarorum, then this would be an instant buy for me. I know they have unlocked previously locked factions, but these are really easy to unlock if you modify the strat_desc file in the Imperial Campaign folder - you can also modify the turn rate etc in that same file without much trouble to get seasonal turns too.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Toonces

I went ahead and purchased this today.  I'm hoping it will pre-load so that when it's "released" it will already reside on my computer and I can dig right in.  My internet is the suck; if it's 70GB that's like a full day or more of downloading at Casa Toonces.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Anguille

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on April 17, 2021, 11:56:24 PM
The game is advertised at coming in at a whopping 70 GBs.
Kinda hard for me to believe even with the additional 4K textures and such.
:o

I think there's also a new intro video for each faction in the game.

Destraex

Quote from: Toonces on April 26, 2021, 09:16:22 PM
I went ahead and purchased this today.  I'm hoping it will pre-load so that when it's "released" it will already reside on my computer and I can dig right in.  My internet is the suck; if it's 70GB that's like a full day or more of downloading at Casa Toonces.

pre-load seems to be 24.2gig for me.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Boggit

Quote from: Toonces on April 26, 2021, 09:16:22 PM
So what do you think? Is it a major improvement?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

https://www.ign.com/articles/total-war-rome-remastered-review

But in most other ways, it's simply fallen too far behind the times. Strategy games in general, and Total War specifically, have evolved so much in the last 18 years that going back to the original Rome can be deflating. The AI is one of the primary culprits.

https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-rome-remastered-is-a-great-update-but-cant-compete-with-modern-strategy-games/

The result is a competent remaster and the best way to play this classic Total War, but it still can't compete with its modern heirs.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-rome-remastered/review

This remaster is really only for those who still enjoy the original game, and even then, it's only going to be worth the investment if the mod scene follows.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd