Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on May 30, 2021, 05:27:16 PM
Jason total war is like close combat to me. They keep releasing them but don't ever improve on them. Think the tank spinning bug in close combat. The compromises for wall melee rather than a fix in total war.

I don't think that's quite fair even for Close Combat (though much moreso there). The CA team does make improvements -- on occasion, sure, but demonstrably more often than CC! However, the improvements come with underbaked releases, as well as papering over longer-term problems (as in your example); so I do understand the frustration. Heck, I understand it so much that despite hoping for 3K between every release since M2TW, I still haven't bought 3K yet!  :buck2:

The fact that they're planning to remake 3K immediately (to be "closer to the novels" whatever that's supposed to mean compared to what they've done so far), while leaving serious bugs permanently unfinished in 3K, is.....  :pullhair: I just have no confidence in them anymore, and the fan backlash on the net has been shattering. I will not be surprised if CA (or maybe Sega) course corrects a week or two from now. But, neither will I be surprised if they don't.  :buck2:

I'm not going to say that I'll never buy a Total War game again -- there's a reasonably good chance WH3 will be up to par, and will fill out the grand campaign with more content in synching together as promised. Obviously this is because the design team dedicated to that project has been given more support than for 3K. But even then, I'm going to wait a few weeks to hear feedback on bugs, design gaffes, etc.

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 30, 2021, 10:20:41 PM
I've felt for a couple of years now that CA relies on the Modders to finish their games for them so to speak. Rome 2 was the first to make me feel like this. They hit their peak with Shogun 2 but have been in slow decline since.  :'(

And before that was Empire, which was only sort-of fixed by NappyTW being a glorified standalone full-cost patch inapplicable to the original campaign.

.....OH THAT'S what they're trying to do with 3K!  #:-) Duh! I should have seen that immediately.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Thanks for understanding. In the mean time I am enjoying the ultimate admiral\general games as stand ins.
Ideally I want a scourge of war that actually has a good UI with glorious graphics. But despite owning scourge of war napoleon I just cannot bring myself to load it up. So bad is the immersion. Trees are not even drawn at tiny distances the optimisation is so bad.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

TW has been one of my favorite series since the original Shogun. That said, it took me a few days to recognize the colossal nerve the have in declaring 3K 'done.' And the backlash is even more colossal. It almost looks like they wanted to get people's attention by pissing everyone off. I wonder if that has been their plan since the very beginning?

I have bought fewer of their games at a slower pace in the last few years only because they are not immediately in my wheelhouse, like Warhammer, or not available on platforms I want to use (Epic with Troy)...so I guess I am less of a fanboy now than I have ever been.

I agree that the high point for CA was Shogun 2...but that was 10 years ago!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CapnKirk

This thread made me reinstall Shogun 2, I really want to dive into it more than I have.  After that the series has kinda lost me.

Ancient Rome/Egypt are my favorite subjects but RTWII just hasn't held my interest.  I'm not a huge fan of the way building works and the ant battles really kill the immersion for me.  Also the interface just doesn't seem intuitive and is cluttered.  It's not that I dislike every new feature or change, it just there's enough I don't like to make it not as enjoyable as the older titles.

I do have Troy and Warhammer, and I would like to take the time to try them.  I'd imagine they both have the ant battles though, and that just drives me nuts.

Sir Slash

I've been resisting the Shogun 2 urge for some time now. It just can't be as good as I remember....can it?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^No, it's better!

I just installed the DEI mod for Rome 2 for the first time, finally going to play as the Seleucids.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CapnKirk

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 02, 2021, 11:03:13 AM
It just can't be as good as I remember....can it?

Are we talking about games or relationships  :-"

I'm going to fire it up tonight.  The game, not a relationship.  The misses might frown upon that. 

Sir Slash

Don't they ALWAYS? Games are safer anyway, and way cheaper than a divorce. Playing the Seleucids in DEI is very tough, everybody hates you. There's some great videos on YouTube covering various factions strengths and weaknesses in DEI with a list of their respective units available. And the DEI sight has a complete roster of every unit that can be recruited by faction. I could spend hours there lost in Hoplites and War Elephants.  :bd:

Gusington

^I'm used to it.

DEI site you say? Gotta link?

It's either Seleucids in DEI next or Numidia in Rome TW Remastered next...not sure

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

This gent can be pretty salty. But he does a good job of explaining why my eyes don't like what they see in modern total war games. This kind of stat based gameplay is probably why I suspected their new total war engines are not fully 3D/physics based.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"