Main Menu

Burning FRIDAY

Started by al_infierno, May 21, 2021, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

It's that time of the month again folks.... the Metal Friday thread \m/  Enjoy an under-appreciated heavy metal classic from 1984: Burning Star by Helstar.

I'm currently playing through some pants-poopers like Resident Evil 8 Village (or however it's supposed to be spelled), Visage, and some other random free titles.  Without going into spoilers, I'll just say that the second "chapter" of RE8 (house of Bienvenido) contains the single nastiest and most pants-shittingly terrifying monster I've ever encountered in a video game.  Each chapter has slightly different gameplay, and this one is sort of like a watered down Alien Isolation or Outlast without any equipment or androids.  Describing it at all is a spoiler honestly, but if you're curious and don't want to buy or play the full game, spoil it for yourself here: (NSFW) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdG5CImm34

As usual, I'm also sinking some time into GTA Online and some Dominions V online games.  I've dipped my toes into Hell Let Loose and maybe this weekend I'll commit to playing with a mic instead of just testing the water.

Enjoy!

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

After coming to grief as my rickety economy gave up the ghost whilst under sustained Boetian attack as the Macedonians after 75 years or so of reasonable success I am back in the saddle as Sparta in Imperiums Greek Wars. Still learning a lot of the nuances.

Great game.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Anguille

Nice song  :notworthy:

My plan for the weekend:

- Conflict: Desert Storm (one mission)

- Stronghold Warlords (complete the economic campaign)

- Stars in Shadow. I've been on a hunt for the steam achievements this week and i think i have 6 left to do. There are two that should be more difficult to do. It helped me better understand the game as well.

MengJiao

Quote from: devoncop on May 21, 2021, 05:19:23 AM
After coming to grief as my rickety economy gave up the ghost whilst under sustained Boetian attack as the Macedonians after 75 years or so of reasonable success I am back in the saddle as Sparta in Imperiums Greek Wars. Still learning a lot of the nuances.

Great game.

Imperiums might be on the horizon for this weekend.  Also Enlisted, HLL, and some boardgames

Dammit Carl!

As always: where does the week go?

As always: ugh, yardwork.

If and when time provides, I'll keep on keepin' on with ARMA - I'm so rusty/clutzy with the system that I'm puttering through the "Scenarios," section one by one, lol.

Anguille

Quote from: MengJiao on May 21, 2021, 07:23:34 AM
Quote from: devoncop on May 21, 2021, 05:19:23 AM

Great game.

Imperiums might be on the horizon for this weekend.  Also Enlisted, HLL, and some boardgames
Yeah, maybe some Imperiums as well. Have been playing lots of Aggressors: Ancient Rome last week.

Tripoli

Working on finalizing the next image/description package for Command Modern Operations.  Also work on Burden of Command.  I will also complete getting my rear end kicked in the current round of Sliterine's "Field of Glory" tournament.  I may play "Castle Itter" and post an AAR if people are interested.  First, I need to read the rules.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Pete Dero

1984 ....  I was listening to Slayer's 'I am the antichrist' (https://youtu.be/tdt6-jJ1_Ew)
Most people told me I would grow out of that kind of music.   Happy to say I proved them wrong !

Helstar still exists and released their latest album (EP) a few months ago (including covers of songs from Accept, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

Was hoping on trying out Elite Odyssey but the current user rating of 34% on Steam made me change my mind for the time being.

So it will be another return to Steel Division 2 or the Mius Front.

Gusington

Dabbling in Imperiums as well, still the tutorials only though. Ended my first Rome Total War Remastered campaign as the Scipii in a stalemate and have moved on to an Empire Divided campaign as Palmyra (3rd century AD) in Rome 2 Total War. Have also returned to Assassin's Creed: Origins.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 21, 2021, 08:30:01 AM

Was hoping on trying out Elite Odyssey but the current user rating of 34% on Steam made me change my mind for the time being.

Consider Star Citizen...Alpha 3.13.1 just went live and Fleet Week with the free fly events is kicking off today.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Most people told me I would grow out of that kind of music.   Happy to say I proved them wrong !

Hell yeah!  [cranks up Immortal and breaks out the corpse paint while kids watch aghast as their fat, middle aged father headbangs]

Pete Dero

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 21, 2021, 08:46:35 AM

Hell yeah!  [cranks up Immortal and breaks out the corpse paint while kids watch aghast as their fat, middle aged father headbangs]

I'm not middle aged.  Only my body is.

W8taminute

Hey al you will be pleasantly surprised if you play HLL with a mic.  There are some really good guys out there in that community who believe in teamwork and communication.

For me I will be playing Heroes & Generals, Enlisted, and a modified version of the World 2004 mod for Civ III: Conquests.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

1984 ....  I was listening to Slayer's 'I am the antichrist' (https://youtu.be/tdt6-jJ1_Ew)

Helstar still exists and released their latest album (EP) a few months ago (including covers of songs from Accept, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

Heh.  Nowadays, it feels like there's more aging fans of oldschool heavy metal than there are young'uns getting into it.  Today's younger metal crowd mainly seems focused on emo metalcore and bands like Avatar that only bear a passing resemblance to actual heavy metal.  Not that that's a bad thing of course, but when people claim to be "metalheads" without liking or having listened to Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or Celtic Frost, it makes me shake my head and sigh.   :(

Thanks for the heads up about the new album (looks like it's a compilation?).  According to Metal-Archives, their last few albums (most recently in 2016) seem to be highly reviewed.  Pretty rare for a band that old to still be going strong!  https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Helstar/142
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on May 21, 2021, 12:13:23 PM
Hey al you will be pleasantly surprised if you play HLL with a mic.  There are some really good guys out there in that community who believe in teamwork and communication.

For me I will be playing Heroes & Generals, Enlisted, and a modified version of the World 2004 mod for Civ III: Conquests.

I would say...overall the HLL population is the most charming (funny, focused and friendly) bunch of online players I've ever found.  However, I'm off on a gamey east-front journey and I've no idea
when I'll be back in HLL.