SGS Halls of Montezuma Released

Started by Boggit, May 21, 2021, 07:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Apart from the SPI Vera Cruz wargame and JTS's Mexican-American war, I don't think there are many other games out there that touch on this conflict.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519070/SGS_Halls_of_Montezuma/
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MengJiao

Quote from: Boggit on May 21, 2021, 07:26:23 PM
Apart from the SPI Vera Cruz wargame and JTS's Mexican-American war, I don't think there are many other games out there that touch on this conflict.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519070/SGS_Halls_of_Montezuma/

Wow!  Looks fantastic!  especially "the logistical nightmare of Mexico in the early 19th century."  I'll take a break from Russia and WWII.

Gusington

That does look great, even for a non-hardcore guy like me. Wish I thought of that title, too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

I wonder if it will have severe attrition effects to mirror the Yellow Fever epidemic that Scott's forces suffered terribly from when they were in the Vera Cruz area? That was a major threat to the initial phase of the US expedition.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Nice.  Means that they're out there thinking about different conflict areas/eras.

Boggit

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 21, 2021, 09:34:24 PM
Nice.  Means that they're out there thinking about different conflict areas/eras.
Definitely. I had an email chat with Philippe before Christmas. I can say he has some plans for some very interesting and unusual wars to cover.

Philthib

Quote from: Boggit on May 21, 2021, 08:38:09 PM
I wonder if it will have severe attrition effects to mirror the Yellow Fever epidemic that Scott's forces suffered terribly from when they were in the Vera Cruz area? That was a major threat to the initial phase of the US expedition.

Yes, the fever factor on the lowlands is quite well represented. You get a "Rain" even that strikes troops in those areas with quite severe effects. Moving up in the interior highland usually can save troops (at the risk of seeing your unguarded port supplies cut off)...

Philthib

Yes, plenty. Just have a look here: https://strategygamestudio.com/new-sgs-pre-orders-system/

and there for some work in progress games: https://strategygamestudio.com/shop/

Anguille

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 21, 2021, 08:31:52 PM
That does look great, even for a non-hardcore guy like me. Wish I thought of that title, too.

Pretty Fun.  Not particularly hardcore (I guess I'm saying that from a fairly hardcore point of view) I tried to save Mexico in a short scenario.  The US forces suffered from the heat, disease, Indian attacks, gun-runners, sandbars, rainstorms and cheveau de Frise (I might have said Frisian Hair but that would be bad too maybe?) and I beat them in all engagements involving Mexican Regulars and still lost.  As always in this game system, be careful with the cards since they have a pretty strong implied chronology and playing out of order will freeze the game or otherwise not work (I'm looking at you, Reinforcements for Mexxixco with 3 xs).

MengJiao

Quote from: Philthib on May 22, 2021, 01:51:05 AM

Yes, plenty. Just have a look here: https://strategygamestudio.com/new-sgs-pre-orders-system/

and there for some work in progress games: https://strategygamestudio.com/shop/

I'll take Taipengs some day.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CptHowdy

Can you win as mexico or just hope the U.S. mismanages it's troops long enough for a political victory?

MengJiao

Quote from: CptHowdy on May 22, 2021, 01:58:59 PM
Can you win as mexico or just hope the U.S. mismanages it's troops long enough for a political victory?

I think Mexico can win at least against the AI by cutting supply after luring the US forces (on the two northern routes first) and leaving them in the "nightmare of Logistics in early 19th century Mexico".  I think a human USA will probably win most of the time.

Or maybe tornados or epidemics or rampaging indians or some steam frigate raiders will get those Gringos!

Or you can wait for them to fall through a crack in the universe and turn into Finland (which just happened)

Yes, Mexico can win...I wonder if any human players have ever played Mexico?  The two Stream frigates (if not sold to Spain) can wipe out the entire US navy... and if you:
   Let Monterrey fall, thus triggering the US concentration at Vera Cruz and then counter attack up north while the US is trying to shift everything into Vera cruz, you can take Texas...this triggers a
puzzling moment for the US...Can they win the war and lose the army, the navy and Texas?  Fortunately the game stops before Daniel Webster says they have won the war despite losing the Army, the Navy and Texas.  The naval war is perhaps the weirdest thing -- clearly nobody playtested what would happen if the Frigates sank all the US transports and the entire US Navy.  Moreover, most naval battles trigger a fall out of the universe and into a strange French-speaking underworld where Mexico is played by the USSR and the USA is Finland.  Fortunately a quick restart of the game fixes that so that the US navy can be wiped out.
   So, yes, Mexico can win at least against the AI.