FarCray6 is co... wait, sorry, FarCRY6, but that spec is probably correct. :D

Started by JasonPratt, July 16, 2020, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

I've actually been replaying FarCry 2 with a realism mod, and I have to say it's not too shabby at all.  They nailed the African blood diamond civil war setting, and while the villain and story are not that interesting (think Nic Cage from Lord of War, but more psychopathic and far less charismatic), the game has some really nice touches to it, like the minimal fast travel system and how the "minimap" is a physical map that your character has to pull out while putting away your gun.  Also, it wasn't fleshed out at all, but the "buddy system" was kinda neat where you would build histories with other mercs in the region and they might help you out when you go down, but if they die, they're permadead.

It's pretty fascinating to play through as piece of gaming history, as I think it was the first Ubisoft open-world blip-filled theme park game.  This video gives a pretty cool overview of what the game did right.  I wouldn't recommend picking it up before one of the newer games, but it's worth checking out on sale.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Far cry 6 releases today....not a day one buy for me, likely will during some future sale

ArizonaTank

Quote from: al_infierno on July 17, 2020, 03:03:36 PM
I've actually been replaying FarCry 2 with a realism mod, and I have to say it's not too shabby at all.  They nailed the African blood diamond civil war setting, and while the villain and story are not that interesting (think Nic Cage from Lord of War, but more psychopathic and far less charismatic), the game has some really nice touches to it, like the minimal fast travel system and how the "minimap" is a physical map that your character has to pull out while putting away your gun.  Also, it wasn't fleshed out at all, but the "buddy system" was kinda neat where you would build histories with other mercs in the region and they might help you out when you go down, but if they die, they're permadead.

It's pretty fascinating to play through as piece of gaming history, as I think it was the first Ubisoft open-world blip-filled theme park game.  This video gives a pretty cool overview of what the game did right.  I wouldn't recommend picking it up before one of the newer games, but it's worth checking out on sale.

I just played it recently. Still holds interest for me, despite the aging graphics. I agree, the game was very innovative in its day.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 07, 2021, 05:09:50 AM
Far cry 6 releases today....not a day one buy for me, likely will during some future sale

I am a big Far Cry fanboy, and still I thought some of the titles needed something more (or less in the case of Far Cry 5). So I am with you...I'll wait, see how the release goes...probably wait for the first sale.  I have plenty of other great games to keep me company in the meantime.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

It's tempting, very tempting...  We'll see how I feel when I'm home from work, I might end up being the crash dummy here.   :crazy2:

EDIT - Damn it, it's Epic only.  I was hoping to see some Steam scores.  Less tempting...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on October 07, 2021, 11:21:39 AM
It's tempting, very tempting...  We'll see how I feel when I'm home from work, I might end up being the crash dummy here.   :crazy2:

EDIT - Damn it, it's Epic only.  I was hoping to see some Steam scores.  Less tempting...

UBISoft as well

al_infierno

Ubi's launcher is much, much worse.  I avoid that one at all costs.  Then again, you have to use it with Epic or Steam or whatever anyways...

- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

I guess I am just lucky....never have issues with any launchers whether ubi, epic, steam, ea, etc

al_infierno

I always get strange issues integrating Ubi launcher with Steam.  Often the Steam friends overlay will cause the cursor to glitch out and stay on top of the game in the middle of the screen until I restart.  If I do end up grabbing this, it'll probably be on Ubi just to reduce the number of DRM layers.

- MengJiao

al_infierno

I'm enjoying it so far.  If you like the formula circa Far Cry 5, you'll like this one as it's just more of the same.  I've been a big fan of the series since the very first game and it delivers exactly what I expect - goofy and arcadey guerrilla fun in a rather broken yet entertaining open world.  I like the change back to the jungle setting, and the Latin American revolution theme seems well realized.  I have to say, though, I'm rather unimpressed with how janky the game is.  It really feels like they did the bare minimum to update the overall fidelity of the game engine.  There are still artifacts from PS2-era graphics, like shooting doodads causing them to just vanish from existence rather than getting bullet holes or destroyed or whatever.  There's a few bells and whistles like new execution animations involving the environment i.e. crates, but aside from the awesome motion capture and face textures for Big Boy Giancarlo, you could tell me they built this in an unchanged version of the FC5 engine and I wouldn't ask for proof.  To its credit, I've not run into any serious bugs or show stoppers.

I've personally been hankering for some good open-world guerrilla Rambownage in the jungle, and this scratches that itch perfectly well.  But it's really nothing new or impressive thus far.  SDR will silently disapprove, as he tends to  ^-^

- MengJiao