Main Menu

King's Bounty II

Started by FarAway Sooner, August 11, 2021, 11:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

It's not exactly a Grogheaded wargame, but I'm surprised there's not been any mention here of King's Bounty II, which is due out on August 24!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135300/Kings_Bounty_II/

The original King's Bounty: The Legend (not to be confused with the original King's Bounty, which was significantly older) made a rich impression on me.  It borrowed some of the dynamics from Heroes of Might & Magic, but applied them to a strict role playing format and wove in a much more interesting storyline with some colorful characters and interesting missions.  It also added a few interesting dynamics to the hex-based combat that presented a very welcome change.

I'll admit, I made it about halfway through King's Bounty: The Legend a couple times before giving up on it.  The game was NOT on rails, and I enjoyed the challenge of finding a battle I could win, but I perpetually found myself wandering into encounters that would have obliterated an army and a hero twice the level of my own.  As I recall, I married the insect-loving princess once and the red-headed buccaneer maiden once.

I've seen no mention anywhere of how the second game might try to improve upon the recipe of the first (and all it's sucessors, of which there were many).  I think that was about the time I got a girlfriend (who eventually became the wife), and my gaming hours dipped seriously for half a decade or more!

Sir Slash

Loved the original back in the Amiga days. I hope this one's half as good.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 11, 2021, 11:58:06 PM
It's not exactly a Grogheaded wargame, but I'm surprised there's not been any mention here of King's Bounty II, which is due out on August 24!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135300/Kings_Bounty_II/

The original King's Bounty: The Legend (not to be confused with the original King's Bounty, which was significantly older) made a rich impression on me.  It borrowed some of the dynamics from Heroes of Might & Magic, but applied them to a strict role playing format and wove in a much more interesting storyline with some colorful characters and interesting missions.  It also added a few interesting dynamics to the hex-based combat that presented a very welcome change.

I'll admit, I made it about halfway through King's Bounty: The Legend a couple times before giving up on it.  The game was NOT on rails, and I enjoyed the challenge of finding a battle I could win, but I perpetually found myself wandering into encounters that would have obliterated an army and a hero twice the level of my own.  As I recall, I married the insect-loving princess once and the red-headed buccaneer maiden once.

I've seen no mention anywhere of how the second game might try to improve upon the recipe of the first (and all it's sucessors, of which there were many).  I think that was about the time I got a girlfriend (who eventually became the wife), and my gaming hours dipped seriously for half a decade or more!

I still have it on Gamersgate. I do recall I managed to accidentally "Finish" the game  ::) one of my dumbest moves. But this one looks interesting.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

MC

I finished King's Bounty: Warriors of the North a while back. Put some serious time into it: 206 hours. Looking forward to II but I'm going to wait until the reviews roll in.