War gaming news. What's your go to?

Started by Old TImer, August 24, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old TImer

So I was wondering,  with the demise of the Wargamer (which seems to have had a rather interesting dynamic with this board that I can't put my finger on), what is your go to site for wargaming news, besides this one of course ?  Are there any hidden gems out there that I should be aware of?  Thanks for any replies.

al_infierno

The computer wargames subreddit is kept pretty well up to date by a fellow groggy, Spelk:

https://old.reddit.com/r/computerwargames/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

This board is a direct descendant of the old Wargamer. A group of us left WG (I wrote and moderated there starting in 2002) and formed these boards about 10 years ago. We lost people over the years and are now down to JH and I who keep the lights on here.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watch Dan Pancaldi's weekly wargaming roundup show, No Enemies Here, on YouTube.  I wish he'd tone down the Sopranos impression a bit but wha'cha gonna do?  Reminds me of all the guys I went to high school with. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoEnemiesHere/videos

Old TImer

Quote from: Gusington on August 24, 2021, 06:04:02 PM
This board is a direct descendant of the old Wargamer. A group of us left WG (I wrote and moderated there starting in 2002) and formed these boards about 10 years ago. We lost people over the years and are now down to JH and I who keep the lights on here.

That would explain why the Wargamer site was once an excellent source.  It was on a slow decline
only to completely crash out where now it's mostly board gaming and fantasy stuff.  I don't even
go there anymore.

Gusington

Me neither! I went there today after reading your post just to sniff around and although I did find the archive, it is barely navigable.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

apoll

Yes, me neither, I have abandoned that site: should not even be called Wargamer. Rather Fantasy and Boardgame Roundup (no offence meant to either of those genres, but it ain't wargaming as I perceive it).

Apoll

al_infierno

Quote from: apoll on August 25, 2021, 08:39:47 PM
Yes, me neither, I have abandoned that site: should not even be called Wargamer. Rather Fantasy and Boardgame Roundup (no offence meant to either of those genres, but it ain't wargaming as I perceive it).

Apoll

100%.  It doesn't make any sense at all why they even stuck with the name "Wargamer" instead of just "Strategy Gamer" or something.  I don't think most people don't think of "wargames" as an umbrella term for all their cool miniature and fantasy tactics hobbies.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Haven't been to Wargamer in months.  The only other site I visit for my game fix is https://www.gamewatcher.com/strategy
It also has buttons for shooter, sim and RPG if you want to focus on those.  Currently the 3 games at the top of the strategy page are Humankind, TW: Warhammer 2, and Valor & Victory.  Not a bad selection.

Old TImer

Quote from: bobarossa on August 25, 2021, 09:40:45 PM
Haven't been to Wargamer in months.  The only other site I visit for my game fix is https://www.gamewatcher.com/strategy
It also has buttons for shooter, sim and RPG if you want to focus on those.  Currently the 3 games at the top of the strategy page are Humankind, TW: Warhammer 2, and Valor & Victory.  Not a bad selection.

Thanks for the heads up.

Vox

glen55

You said "besides this one," but this forum is really where I go to see what's new and happening. There are a few other sites I look at occasionally, but mostly when I'm trying to look up a particular game. I do go to Matrix occasionally to see what they have new but their games are typically overpriced so it's mostly window-shopping.

I'll check out that reddit site al_infierno mentioned for a bit and see if it's worthwhile.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: glen55 on August 26, 2021, 11:44:08 AM
You said "besides this one," but this forum is really where I go to see what's new and happening. There are a few other sites I look at occasionally, but mostly when I'm trying to look up a particular game. I do go to Matrix occasionally to see what they have new but their games are typically overpriced so it's mostly window-shopping.

I'll check out that reddit site al_infierno mentioned for a bit and see if it's worthwhile.

^This. When it comes to news about upcoming releases, new DLCs or add-ons, patches and mods, this is my first stop. If I get news from any other source, I will always come here to post it.

Same thing goes for opinions. I'll trust any one of my Grog brothers over the flotsam and jetsam of the internets. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

You said "besides this one," but this forum is really where I go to see what's new and happening.

+1

I also follow some channels on Twitch for news (Slitherine, Paradox, ..) and for gameplay (Dastactic, StrategyGamingDojo, The Historical Gamer, ...).

For general gaming & hardware news : https://www.bluesnews.com/

steve58

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 26, 2021, 12:18:06 PM
You said "besides this one," but this forum is really where I go to see what's new and happening.

+1

I also follow some channels on Twitch for news (Slitherine, Paradox, ..) and for gameplay (Dastactic, StrategyGamingDojo, The Historical Gamer, ...).

For general gaming & hardware news : https://www.bluesnews.com/

+2, also a +1 for bluesnews.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)