War gaming news. What's your go to?

Started by Old TImer, August 24, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetbrain

Grogheads is THE site I most favor. It does end up costing me a bit as I end up getting a lot of the games discussed here (not to be confused with playing them properly).
Thanks a lot, guys! (just today bought Zero Hour following discussions here- you should get a commission).
I did used to visit both the wargamer & strategygamer sites but now find them very unsatisfactory.
Mostly harmless

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2021, 12:10:08 PM
^This. When it comes to news about upcoming releases, new DLCs or add-ons, patches and mods, this is my first stop. If I get news from any other source, I will always come here to post it.

Same thing goes for opinions. I'll trust any one of my Grog brothers over the flotsam and jetsam of the internets.

Agree about the opinions, too. I'm not putting down any really good professional reviews I might see elsewhere, but absent that mythical beast, I'm much more likely to be persuaded by a post on this site than by a review.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old TImer

Quote from: planetbrain on August 26, 2021, 04:43:19 PM
Grogheads is THE site I most favor. It does end up costing me a bit as I end up getting a lot of the games discussed here (not to be confused with playing them properly).
Thanks a lot, guys! (just today bought Zero Hour following discussions here- you should get a commission).
I did used to visit both the wargamer & strategygamer sites but now find them very unsatisfactory.

Same here.  I feel your pain. :hide:

ArizonaTank

For board wargaming, the main publisher sites are usually pretty good at keeping me up to date.  GMT and Compass being my two mainstays. The forums at BGG are also pretty good at keeping me informed.

For computer gaming...frankly Grogheads is probably all I look at. Really just the forums.

I was never a wargamer guy anyway. I wrote a few articles for Mario Kroll maybe 25 years ago...but pretty much never went to the site after that.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

100% Grogheads for impartial opinion.....(ignoring the Total War fetish ...among other less savoury fetishes of Gus if course)  :DD
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Crossroads

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 28, 2021, 11:48:43 AM
For board wargaming, the main publisher sites are usually pretty good at keeping me up to date.  GMT and Compass being my two mainstays. The forums at BGG are also pretty good at keeping me informed.

For computer gaming...frankly Grogheads is probably all I look at. Really just the forums.

Came in to type basically this. Active forums are more important for me than reviews or articles as such. Too bad the Wargaming forum here's gone a bit a quiet, that said haven't posted there myself lately either so can't complain, really. Need to buy a new boardgame I guess to have something to post!

Just to add to above the various Youtube channels and Facebook groups are pretty neat as well, once you know what you're looking for.

Maybe I should add VASSAL as a neat info source as well. I often check the VASSAL module of a (board)game I am considering buying. Nice to see most publishers gone there too.

Edit and of course the CSW forum for the ancients among us: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6b2f5/
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

Someone mention Mario Kroll? Damn that brings me back. I met him a few times in person years and years ago...he was 'quite the character,' as my grandparents would say.

I have a soft spot in my heart for TW, I won't apologize Devon!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd