LEGO: skywalker saga releases April 5th

Started by Grim.Reaper, April 03, 2022, 05:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on April 09, 2022, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on April 05, 2022, 06:11:10 PM
It's Lego.  There is no plural.  Or if there is it's Lego bricks/pieces.

Probably be a good game though.
You started up the pedant in me :), Exactly what I was thinking. I just did not want to say anything. It's not uncommon though for people to use "Legos" instead of Lego. When explaining why Lego is the plural and not Legos it is probably good to use the analogy of much vs many. Many usually refers to a lot of of identical things that are sometimes found as single entities. For example apples. It's not uncommon to have one apple to eat at work while the fruit bowl at home has more stacked together. On the other hand flour is an example of much, you never have a single grain of flour. Additionally you only ever use flour together as more than one grain. Therefore flour is impossible to measure and is never considered on it's own and is always handed out or purchased as clump.

How many Apples (plural with an S because technically they are separate things)
How much Flour (plural with no S because technically it's one thing with only difference being size/weight)
How much Lego (plural with no S because technically it gets stuck together, is purchased together and is always found together to be stuck into clumps)
How many legos? You would almost never find lego pieces on their own. So it is considered a plural without an S. You don't ever get one piece of lego (think piece of cake cut off) out to play. Lego is generally considered in sets not as single pieces. We have pieces of cake because they came from a whole cake. Thus pieces of lego are considered part of the "much" category.

It is certainly pedantics. Something Greek philosophers might have argued about? Perhaps. Because at some point somebody obviously purchased a single piece of lego to start with, got a few more pieces and therefore logically had Legos!

When I am on youtube it often grates my ears to hear people use plural and non plural for the same thing in the same sentence actually. I am nuts enough to need to rearrange the sentence in my head to make it easier to understand and to prevent myself from falling into the same abyss and copying them. What I am trying to say is don't mind me. I am nuts.

All of this grammar lesson for a simple typo? I changed the title so you can sleep better. 

Jarhead0331

^yeah. Crazy, huh? It's also entirely irrelevant since Lego is a brand name and adjective, not a noun. Furthermore, the company over the years has asked people to refer to Lego toys or Lego bricks in order to preserve the brand and/or trademark. So people who argue over mass nouns or the difference between American and British English are quite literally wasting their times. See what I did there?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 10, 2022, 03:15:39 AM
Quote from: Destraex on April 09, 2022, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on April 05, 2022, 06:11:10 PM
It's Lego.  There is no plural.  Or if there is it's Lego bricks/pieces.

Probably be a good game though.
You started up the pedant in me :), Exactly what I was thinking. I just did not want to say anything. It's not uncommon though for people to use "Legos" instead of Lego. When explaining why Lego is the plural and not Legos it is probably good to use the analogy of much vs many. Many usually refers to a lot of of identical things that are sometimes found as single entities. For example apples. It's not uncommon to have one apple to eat at work while the fruit bowl at home has more stacked together. On the other hand flour is an example of much, you never have a single grain of flour. Additionally you only ever use flour together as more than one grain. Therefore flour is impossible to measure and is never considered on it's own and is always handed out or purchased as clump.

How many Apples (plural with an S because technically they are separate things)
How much Flour (plural with no S because technically it's one thing with only difference being size/weight)
How much Lego (plural with no S because technically it gets stuck together, is purchased together and is always found together to be stuck into clumps)
How many legos? You would almost never find lego pieces on their own. So it is considered a plural without an S. You don't ever get one piece of lego (think piece of cake cut off) out to play. Lego is generally considered in sets not as single pieces. We have pieces of cake because they came from a whole cake. Thus pieces of lego are considered part of the "much" category.

It is certainly pedantics. Something Greek philosophers might have argued about? Perhaps. Because at some point somebody obviously purchased a single piece of lego to start with, got a few more pieces and therefore logically had Legos!

When I am on youtube it often grates my ears to hear people use plural and non plural for the same thing in the same sentence actually. I am nuts enough to need to rearrange the sentence in my head to make it easier to understand and to prevent myself from falling into the same abyss and copying them. What I am trying to say is don't mind me. I am nuts.

All of this grammar lesson for a simple typo? I changed the title so you can sleep better.

Thanks Grim. You did not need to do that, but I appreciate it. :)
Did not mean to offend anybody. Grim, I apologise if I offended you or I seemed rude in any way.
I was just making an observation in response to Father Ted rather than you specifically.
Believe it or not I have had a few debates about this with lego lovers before in person. It's a lot of fun more than anything.
Kinda like ancient Greek Philosophers debating over minor points. They loved it and it's meant to be enjoyed and bring understanding of each persons position out. Thereby promoting learning and understanding.

I guess it's kind of like the wargaming community having a button counting mentality. We love detail. It's in our blood.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 10, 2022, 07:06:42 AM
^yeah. Crazy, huh? It's also entirely irrelevant since Lego is a brand name and adjective, not a noun. Furthermore, the company over the years has asked people to refer to Lego toys or Lego bricks in order to preserve the brand and/or trademark. So people who argue over mass nouns or the difference between American and British English are quite literally wasting their times. See what I did there?

I just wish that what is a learnings we enjoy. ;)

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"