Ongoing Investigation into the Steam Hacking

Started by Bismarck, February 12, 2012, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

Latest news:

Message from Gabe to Steam Community
Announcement    - Valve Feb 10, 2012
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

We continue our investigation of last year's intrusion with the help of outside security experts. In my last note about this, I described how intruders had accessed our Steam database but we found no evidence that the intruders took information from that database. That is still the case.

Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.

We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it's a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.

We are still investigating and working with law enforcement authorities. Some state laws require a more formal notice of this incident so some of you will get that notice, but we wanted to update everyone with this new information now.

Gabe
Jim Cobb

Bison

This is one of the reasons I hate when online companies keep credit card information on record after a transaction is completed.

Staggerwing

That's why I only use Paypal. It's not 100% fool proof but better than trusting Steam (or Gamefly, or Gamestop, or Stormpowered...especially Stormpowered with their attitude toward customers).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

I use a double layer.  Paypal, credit card and then pay that off.  That way you have at least 2 dispute process you can go through.  And never ever hook up anything to automatically come straight out of your bank account or off your debit card.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."