Mass Effect 3 - Demo Released

Started by Jarhead0331, February 14, 2012, 06:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Just an FYI for all who may be interested...I just got an email that the Mass Effect 3 demo has been released on xbox live.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Arctic Blast

It's also available for PC through Origin.

mirth

Anyone tried it? I downloaded it for my Xbox, but won't get to play it until tonight.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bayonet_Chris

I haven't had time yet  :'(

I might be able to take a stab at it on Sunday.

Arctic Blast

Same here. Got it installed, haven't loaded it up yet.

mirth

I played part of it. It looks great on Xbox 360. Definitely much improved graphically over the earlier entries. The demo is heavy on scripted scenes sprinkled with actual gameplay and one of my beefs with the Mass Effect series is that it gives you a lot of big moments where you don't actually get to play, you just watch it happen. That said, the demo game play is pretty much what you had in the previous two (for single player at least, I didn't try multiplayer).

One new thing is that at setup, you can choose the 'style' of game which gives you three options: a combat heavy game that automates the dialogue repsones, the traditional rpg mode  (traditional by Mass Effect standards) with dialogue trees and combat, and a third mode that keeps the story elements and dials back the combat. Considering that the Mass Effect games are already lite RPGs and I've always considered the combat weak (I'm being polite), I'm pretty I won't be playing it in shooter mode.

My sense is that the story will be what makes or breaks this game. The game play is pretty much more of the same, so if the story is compelling and does a good job wrapping up the series, then it will be a winner.

One final thing, it's my understanding that Bioware finally stripped out the resource gathering elements from the game (driving around in the RV looking for minerals in ME1 and scanning planets in ME2). If that's true, then I am very, very happy. I found it ludicrous that I was supposed to be some elite super-soldier driving around in the hottest starship in the galaxy and I had to stop off at every crappy little rock and become a miner. Why the frig wouldn't Starfleet or whoever just by the damned platinum for me?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

W8taminute

Mass Effect is out now so anyone pick this up yet?  What's the verdict gentlemen?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Arctic Blast

Quote from: W8taminute on March 06, 2012, 08:00:14 PM
Mass Effect is out now so anyone pick this up yet?  What's the verdict gentlemen?

I need to replay ME2 first, so for once I'm showing a shred of self control and ignoring it for the time being.

Jarhead0331

Got it on PC...just getting into it, but so far I'm a tad bit concerned.  Its not grabbing me as forcefully as the first two.  Still very early to tell though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

I have it for Xbox, but only just started it this morning. Didn't get much further than entering all the gdamn access codes that came with it.  >:(

I did play a few minutes of the opening. The voice commands through Kinect seem to work well enough. Will be playing more tonight.

W8taminute

Great, look forward to hearing from both of you on your impressions.  Although, I'm starting to think I might just run out during my lunch break and pick up the game anyway.  The gaming community as well as the official press seem to like it.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bayonet_Chris

I started playing single-player campaign last night and it's pretty damn good so far. I haven't tried out the multi-player yet.
-C

mirth

Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on March 07, 2012, 11:57:15 AM
I started playing single-player campaign last night and it's pretty damn good so far. I haven't tried out the multi-player yet.
-C

Same here. I'm on the Mars mission right now and digging the game. I forgot how much I suck at the combat though. I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Every fire fight I've been in so far, I get one or two kills while my squad mates clean up the rest.

I'll say again that the voice commands through kinect work very well. It's entirely optional too, you can choose to speak the dialogue and commands or you can use the controller. Either way works equally well.

Bayonet_Chris

Quote from: mirth on March 08, 2012, 08:39:52 AM
Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on March 07, 2012, 11:57:15 AM
-C

Same here. I'm on the Mars mission right now and digging the game. I forgot how much I suck at the combat though. I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Every fire fight I've been in so far, I get one or two kills while my squad mates clean up the rest.

I'll say again that the voice commands through kinect work very well. It's entirely optional too, you can choose to speak the dialogue and commands or you can use the controller. Either way works equally well.

Yeah, I really like the voice commands if for nothing else than ease of weapon swap. Holding down the X button to cycle through weapons is a pain in the ass when you can just yell out "Shotgun!" and have it go right to it. I still prefer to use the power wheel in combat, just to allow me to stop for a second and pick out the right effect.

I was ready to play multi-player last night, but the people I usually would do so with already had a full group. Maybe tonight. :-)

mirth

I've always struggled a bit with the ME menu system. I think I'm going to be relying heavily on voice commands this time. I agree about still using the menu for power selection though.