Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2012, 12:22:47 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 25, 2012, 10:13:56 AM

It is still in Beta, but very playable IMHO.

In my opinion, this is the understatement of the century.  What this game simulation has achieved already is staggering, and with modifications, the possibilities are limitless.

Yes. The mod support is something than needs to be pointed out. There are tons of space ship and rocket parts that are fan made and easily available. The entire design of the game was geared to support fan modification and creation, so this is a huge part of the game.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Not sure why, but this is looking fun. With JH's endorsement, I'll probably pony up pretty soon for it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Pinetree

I love this game, designing a rocket and forgetting to add parachutes, launching and then watching Jeb grinning like a maniac while his crewmates were screaming in terror as their capsule plummeted to the ground was a moment of gaming greatness.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Jarhead0331

This game is great because it tackles a really complex subject by making it extremely accessible. It sucks you in by not taking itself seriously and by encouraging success, but at the same time making failure so much fun.  This is a key point I think, because while the rewards of a successful launch are great, a failure is still wildly enjoyable, and almost feels like a victory in and of itself.  No matter how many ships i've exploded on that launch pad or in the air, i have never been left wih a feeling of defeat or loss.  They give you a giant toy box filled with rockets and fuel, and tell you reach the stars.  The player is limited literally only by his or her own imagination.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 26, 2012, 07:35:21 AM
This game is great because it tackles a really complex subject by making it extremely accessible. It sucks you in by not taking itself seriously and by encouraging success, but at the same time making failure so much fun.  This is a key point I think, because while the rewards of a successful launch are great, a failure is still wildly enjoyable, and almost feels like a victory in and of itself.  No matter how many ships i've exploded on that launch pad or in the air, i have never been left wih a feeling of defeat or loss.  They give you a giant toy box filled with rockets and fuel, and tell you reach the stars.  The player is limited literally only by his or her own imagination.

OMG

That sounds incredibly fun.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on September 26, 2012, 08:12:21 AM
Is it hard to learn? Might have to pick this one up.

Easy to learn, difficult to master.  That being said, there are many mods, scripts and plug-ins that make the more complicated maneuvers much more manageable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

jomni

Bought the game because of you guys. Got the hang of piloting and orbiting concepts. Any tutorials on rocket building?

steve58

Quote from: jomni on December 04, 2012, 09:07:39 PM
Bought the game because of you guys. Got the hang of piloting and orbiting concepts. Any tutorials on rocket building?

There are a couple listed in the Wiki...

http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Tutorials#Rocket_Design
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Any 'Must-have' mods you guys recommend?

Haven't messed with it yet, but would like to keep the Mod Soup to a minimum but still try out anything that improves the experience pretty well in a package or two.

Nefaro

I expected this to be difficult to get into, with a steep learning curve, but it's not bad.  You can get into the basics pretty quickly and succeed. 

Did they just recently add the space docking stuff in v0.18?  Everyone seems to be pretty keen on hauling modules up and connecting them into a space station.   Anyone here become that Pro at it yet?  8)

steve58

Yes, docking was added in v0.18. I'm no-Pro (haven't even attempted docking yet), but do enjoy the heck out of this game. 

A must have mod (at least for me) is MechJeb.  It basically adds in some (OK, many) autopilot features.  Helps a lot until you learn more about the game.

I's also recommend getting one of the big mod packs like KW Rocketry .  It adds in lots of new parts for building rockets.  There are some other good packs (NovaPunch, Silisko), but I'm not sure if they've been updated for v0.18.

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on December 16, 2012, 09:00:51 AM
Yes, docking was added in v0.18. I'm no-Pro (haven't even attempted docking yet), but do enjoy the heck out of this game. 

A must have mod (at least for me) is MechJeb.  It basically adds in some (OK, many) autopilot features.  Helps a lot until you learn more about the game.

I's also recommend getting one of the big mod packs like KW Rocketry .  It adds in lots of new parts for building rockets.  There are some other good packs (NovaPunch, Silisko), but I'm not sure if they've been updated for v0.18.

Thanks!

I debated using MechJeb but found that I actually enjoy manual piloting.   Are there any extra features besides the AutoPilot that I may need?  In the meantime, I grabbed Kerbal Engineer Redux for precise number details in a customizable menu.  I got the impression that some people who don't use MechJeb for auto-piloting may use this for extra rocket building number crunching and flight data.

Definitely need to load up the Rocketry add-on, as more is always better.  It doesn't unbalance the challenge?  No matter, I created a JSGME install for KSP so I'll be able to toy around with the mods rather easily.

Got sucked in yesterday, for hours.   :D  Once they get this all wrapped up, with the "Career" mode hopefully having the management and exploration strategy elements it implies, this'll be the shizt.

steve58