Star Citizen/Squadron 42 - Chris Roberts new game

Started by steve58, October 10, 2012, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Thought for sure there'd already be a thread about the announcement of Chris Roberts new game ...maybe not because it sounds like its still a long ways out.  Looks like that in addition to the funding he has already, he is also going the crowd-sourcing route (but not through Kickstarter).

I had/enjoyed several of the Wing Commander games as well as Freelancer, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

His site is getting hammered, so here are a couple of links about Star Citizen/Squadron 42 (a single-player/massively multiplayer game hybrid).

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/10/star-citizen-chris-roberts-new-game-is-a-space-sim-spmmo/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/10/watch-this-spectacular-squadron-42-trailer/#more-127466

Here is an alternate site: http://backup-na.robertsspaceindustries.com/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

I'm definitely interested, but I don't really understand what it IS. Is it an MMO? Is it a single player game with a lot of MP content? It all seems fairly up in the air for the moment.

steve58

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 10, 2012, 04:06:18 PM
I'm definitely interested, but I don't really understand what it IS. Is it an MMO? Is it a single player game with a lot of MP content? It all seems fairly up in the air for the moment.

It sounds like it has two distinct parts: an MMO and SP.

So, in Chris own words, the single-player part of the game will be a bit like Wing Commander and the multiplayer open-world experience like Freelancer.

Chris explained that the idea is that after finishing the single-player experience the player is invited to enroll in the multiplayer experience where you will be able to immerse yourself into a persistent open universe (a bit like in EVE Online or World of Warcraft), and invite your friends to play in what he called "combat instances".

The business model makes me a bit leery.  How long can the MMO part keep going, if there is no incoming cash/fees?  I wonder if the "enrollment" to multiplayer after you complete the single-player will cost?

Regarding the business model, Star Citizen will not require a subscription, but will not be free-to-play either. Roberts said that the game will be available for a one-time purchase.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Sounds like it is single-player in a dynamically open multi-player world, not unlike a PvE system in a game like, say, Guild Wars 2.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

republic

I have to admit, I got chills watching the video.  :)  There are little throwbacks to Wing Commander everywhere.  The enemy fighter looked a lot like a Dralthi fighter, and the carrier looks similar to what I remember of the Tigersclaw.

MIGMaster

Aahhh..... Wing Commander. - Those were the days!!!!!!

Kushan

Just take my money now....how much do you need? Here take it all....

QuoteOne interesting gameplay aspect is that you'll be able to fly both small and big spaceships.

Wonder if this means it will be similar to Starshatter, where you could pilot both fighters and capital ships. Be really cool if it had something like Starshatter's dynamic campaign.

Quote from: republic on October 10, 2012, 07:46:07 PM
I have to admit, I got chills watching the video.  :)  There are little throwbacks to Wing Commander everywhere.  The enemy fighter looked a lot like a Dralthi fighter, and the carrier looks similar to what I remember of the Tigersclaw.

Oh yea, if I hadn't known it wasn't wing commander, I would have swore this was a remake. He probably couldn't get the copyright to wing commander, even though whoever hold it has no intention of doing anything with it. Even the background sounds like wing commander.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Tpek

steve58

Just saw this

Crowdfunding ends in 30 days

on his website.  Also, it looks like they're still struggling to get the site completely back up.

I'd like to pledge, but I'd sure like to see some ship specs first. 

steve58

Regular site has been back up for several days.  They've already passed the $1,000,000 mark.  And due to popular demand, they've added a Kickstarter too...

steve58

Star Citizen funding has just passed the $3,500,000 mark...making it one of the most successful video game crowd funding projects.  They are looking to become the most successful by hitting $4,200,000.  Five days to go...

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=live

steve58

Star Citizen is funded at $4,700,000 $5,677,681 with ~5 hours to go...hoping to break the $6,000,000 mark. The Bengal carrier will now be a flyable ship in the game!

Still time to get in on this one before its funded today (Monday Nov 19, 1:58pm EST.)  Here's a work-in-progress AI gameplay video posted earlier...

http://player.vimeo.com/video/53745615

The RSI site is getting pretty hammered in the last hours of crowd funding, so if you still want in on Star Citizen, I suggest using the KickStarter site.

steve58

"Here is a  great new video that's hot off the presses. This is a very early test of moving from concept art of a spaceport to a 3D environment. You'll recognize the original concept art... and check out how cool it is to walk around it! Please note the fidelity of the environment and buildings is MUCH lower than what it will be in the actual game and a lot of the background city environment is missing."

http://vimeo.com/53829036

Now at $6,007,215!