It's Friday! What will you be playing this weekend?

Started by MetalDog, October 19, 2012, 05:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cougar_DK

XCOM and trying to stay away from the newly released stealth game: "Mark of the Ninja"... :o
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Huw the Poo

Hmm, I think I might play a bit of Guild Wars 2.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Cougar_DK on October 19, 2012, 12:26:34 PM
trying to stay away from the newly released stealth game: "Mark of the Ninja"... :o

x2   ;D

PE

Kushan

CK2: My Lombardy game. I hold all of nothern Italy except Genoa and Nice. I'm hoping my Duke, hes 77, will live long enough for me to take them, since the claim won't be passed to his successor. After I take those, it will be time to take on The Duchess.

X-Com: Continue to get my friends and family killed by cyberdics and mutons. I also want to look into how to mod some changes in. It looks like its possible to mod it right now, but its not simply a matter of changing values in the data files.

Skyrim: If I can break away from CK2 and X-Com I would like to put some time into Skyrim as well, not likely though.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Grim.Reaper

Probably some xcom and Football Manager 2013.....although I am not great at it, nor completely understand the sport:(

Arctic Blast

I'll probably keep at XCom, though I'm starting to feel the need for a bit of a break. And I haven't yet played Episode 4 of The Walking Dead...maybe I'll get on that.

Aside from those, Hannibal : Rome vs. Carthage, Claustrophobia and Sentinels of the Multiverse are on tap for the table.

Gusington

Damn all of you to hell...Mark of the Ninja looks awesome.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2012, 05:11:42 PM
I'll probably keep at XCom, though I'm starting to feel the need for a bit of a break. And I haven't yet played Episode 4 of The Walking Dead...maybe I'll get on that.

Aside from those, Hannibal : Rome vs. Carthage, Claustrophobia and Sentinels of the Multiverse are on tap for the table.

I forgot about Episode 4 of The Walking Dead I still need to play through that as well.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

I'll be playing some Borderlands 2 and XCOM throughout the weekend.  I do want to get in some wargaming which will most likely result in a play session of CMFI or CoH.

JasonPratt

I should probably start a new thread to ask this question, but what the hell.

With all the interest in the new CK2 updates, help me catch up on something about the main "Paradox" games. (I know they distribute and develop other things--including some AGEOD games, weirdly enough, which I don't understand, but whatever. Those must have been due to a temporary agreement forged back when Great Invasions was being developed...?)

The concept used to be that in theory a player could start back at the beginning of one game, and "run" a country (or faction or whatever) up through the end of WW2 and somewhat beyond. I'm unsure how far back that timeline now runs, or even whether this notion of continuity between games has been kept for modern editions of the old first versions of the games (like Darkest Hour) and current sequel/remakes (like HOI3 and its various expansions).

So my question, somewhat broadly put, is: what's the longest contiguous timeline that can be played between games, carrying over a developed position from one game to the next?

A related secondary question would be what the best "Paradox engine" games would be for as many time periods as possible: to cover such-n-such period the best choice currently would be, and then for the next period or as close as possible the best choice would be, etc. The difference being that this question ignores continuity of position being ported between games and just focuses on what's currently the best games of the Paradox engine for a time period.

(If I'm going to risk money this weekend verifying whether CK2 works on XPS2, I might as well look into how far I can play with the underlying engine.  ;D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Kushan

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 19, 2012, 09:22:00 PM
The concept used to be that in theory a player could start back at the beginning of one game, and "run" a country (or faction or whatever) up through the end of WW2 and somewhat beyond. I'm unsure how far back that timeline now runs, or even whether this notion of continuity between games has been kept for modern editions of the old first versions of the games (like Darkest Hour) and current sequel/remakes (like HOI3 and its various expansions).

So my question, somewhat broadly put, is: what's the longest contiguous timeline that can be played between games, carrying over a developed position from one game to the next?

Each game only covers a specific period of time. You can't say start a game of Crusaders Kings 2 and play to WW2 using Crusader Kings 2 alone. I thought I read somewhere that you can load a CK2 save in 1453 (when CK2 ends) into Europa Universalis III. You could then load the EU3 save into Vicky 2, etc. I've never tried it. I think EU3 is the game that covers the largest period of time. From the start of renaissance to the early 19th century.

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 19, 2012, 09:22:00 PM
A related secondary question would be what the best "Paradox engine" games would be for as many time periods as possible: to cover such-n-such period the best choice currently would be, and then for the next period or as close as possible the best choice would be, etc. The difference being that this question ignores continuity of position being ported between games and just focuses on what's currently the best games of the Paradox engine for a time period.

Each Paradox game covers a specific era. None of them are a civilization style where you start at the beginning of time and span multiple eras. The best Paradox game to date is CK2, by a far margin. I have EU3 with all the expansions, except Divine Wind. I've tried to get into it but haven't been able to. When I get burnt out on CK2 I want to go back and give it another shot.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MetalDog

The way I understand it, you can take the earliest time period Paradox game and load saved games from the previous era into the game that covers the next era, such as CKII into EUIII.  I have never tried it either, but it's my understanding that it does work that way.  And I'm not sure what Service Pack I use, but I run CKII on XP.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

I'm going a tad bit off the beaten path here with:

Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Lord of the Rings Online (so far not digging it at all)
Blood Bowl Legendary Edition
Morrowind
Crusader Kings 2

I'm really in the mood for a pirate game.  Well, actually, I'm not in the mood for anything- not sure what the problem is- but I find myself wishing to do some piratey stuff. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MarkShot

SHCE ... I feel sorry for all of you who due to hardware upgrades were forced to abandon 1995. You don't know what you are missing. When gaming was about history and is itself history!

Toonces

Pfft.  Everyone knows that 1991 was the best year for gaming, and 1989 was the best year for music!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs