Left 4 Dead 2 free weekend

Started by eyebiter, October 25, 2012, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on October 25, 2012, 08:28:46 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on October 25, 2012, 08:00:42 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 25, 2012, 07:23:21 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 25, 2012, 06:45:51 PM
That's correct TCT.  You get to play for free but get the discounted price if you choose to buy it before the free weekend is over.

Buy. It.

Or you're wrong.
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 25, 2012, 07:48:38 PM
Can I buy it and still be wrong? In general, I mean.

If we buy it does that entitle us to a mutliplayer with LB the GrogHeads Godfather?  ;D

I am hardly the godfather of this place.

But if you buy it and ping me, I'll do my best to game with you. Remember - groups are only four, so it's not like the whole thread will be able to get a piece of me.

Is there any single player in the game or is all multiplayer?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Maybe the stand alone game won't keep booting me off the server...  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

After checking back with Steam on Day Z I came across a link to this:

QuoteInterview: Arma 3 developers' jailing is "a real nightmare for all involved," says Bohemia

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/16/interview-bohemia-developers-arrest-is-a-real-nightmare-for-all-involved-says-creative-director-jay-crowe/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Some effed up snit there.  >:(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 25, 2012, 09:00:53 PM
After checking back with Steam on Day Z I came across a link to this:

QuoteInterview: Arma 3 developers' jailing is "a real nightmare for all involved," says Bohemia

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/16/interview-bohemia-developers-arrest-is-a-real-nightmare-for-all-involved-says-creative-director-jay-crowe/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Some effed up snit there.  >:(

I can't believe they are still in jail, at least as of that article.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

You can play the campaign stories single player TCT.  I've done that quite a bit actually when I just want to shoot zombies.  The AI actually plays your team mates effectively.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 25, 2012, 08:46:26 PM
Speaking of Online Zombie games, have any of you spent any meaningful time with DayZ? I've tried to play but I'm always getting kicked off any server I try with some kind of code mismatch. I've gotten no more than perhaps 2-3 minutes in before it happens. Is it worth banging my head against the wall to try and figure out or just a Flash in the Pan?

I've not played it. I like coop. Not so much coop until you pop a cap in your friend's @$$.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on October 25, 2012, 09:29:01 PM
You can play the campaign stories single player TCT.  I've done that quite a bit actually when I just want to shoot zombies.  The AI actually plays your team mates effectively.

Good to know.  Now I can get some practice in before making a fool of myself in multiplayer.  If it ever finishes downloading...

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on October 25, 2012, 10:11:00 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 25, 2012, 09:29:01 PM

Good to know.  Now I can get some practice in before making a fool of myself in multiplayer.  If it ever finishes downloading...

Use a lower difficulty setting, though. The AI is okay, but it's hardly brilliant. And your AI buddies will not use any items beyond med kits. So the only one throwing molotovs or pipe bombs and the like is you, and you can only carry 1.

Bison

Toonces

L4D2 is the perfect drunk-on-a-Friday-night MP game.  I played the hell out of it last weekend....just way too fun.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

Finished downloading last night but now I've got work today.  Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can try it out.

bob48

I was looking at Left 4 Dead as well. Does the MP aspect allow me to jump into a Grog game regardless of where in the world we are?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Quote from: bob48 on October 26, 2012, 04:31:09 PM
I was looking at Left 4 Dead as well. Does the MP aspect allow me to jump into a Grog game regardless of where in the world we are?
Yes as long as you are friends.  You can create a game that is limited to friends this is a for sure deal and I believe Steam group but to be honest I'm not a 100% sure on the Steam group.

bob48

Maybe worth a try though - according to Steam, its a 2 hour+ download, so I may start it and leave it overnight (its 10.35pm here, as I type).
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on October 26, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
Maybe worth a try though - according to Steam, its a 2 hour+ download, so I may start it and leave it overnight (its 10.35pm here, as I type).

BTW you're going to probably want a mic. I use a headset + mic combo. Communication in the game is important.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.