Just Cause 2 - good game?

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 27, 2012, 03:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Well, my impulsiveness at it again...I saw that Just Cause 2 is on sale at steam for $4.......anybody have experience with it and is it a good game?  I recently purchased sleeping dogs and enjoying that type of game.  Does this compare at all?

Nefaro

Definitely worth $4 IMO.

The insane action stuff you can do can be amusing for awhile.  I had some real gut-busting laughs at it.

Oh.. and a huge open island to sandbox.   It's kinda like the Grand Theft Auto series but far better in every way, and you're some secret operative wreaking craziness inside some banana republic, so the background is more interesting, too.

So if you like to blow stuff up, and do all kinds of crazy Hollywood-style action movie stunts while doing it, then get the game. 

ArizonaTank

Agree, that it is well worth $4.00.  You will get alot of really good  gameplay for the price of admission.  20 hours or so in, it starts to get samey....but it's a blast up to that point. 

It's the only game I've every played, where crawling around on the outside of tall skyscrapers actually game me stomach flutters...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought it for $4, played maybe 20 minutes and never went back. 

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 27, 2012, 06:26:38 PM
I bought it for $4, played maybe 20 minutes and never went back.

Just curios...what didn't grab you?  I played the demo a bit now and seems interesting.  My only concern is that it may be too hard for me...but $4, seems like worth a chance:)

Silent Disapproval Robot

It just seemed too repetitive for me.  And it felt like yet another console port with the usual memes.  Overly macho protagonist who can take a billion bullets and shrug it off, poor voice acting, worse script, and a story and overall attitude aimed at a 14 year old. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 27, 2012, 06:32:00 PM
It just seemed too repetitive for me.  And it felt like yet another console port with the usual memes.  Overly macho protagonist who can take a billion bullets and shrug it off, poor voice acting, worse script, and a story and overall attitude aimed at a 14 year old.

Like I said.. a Grand Theft Auto type of game.

But I didn't much enjoy the GTA3 series.  This one was actually enjoyable for me, however.   

It does tend to get old after awhile, as mentioned, but it's also some mindless ultra-violence (me droogies) that I can come back to on occasion for cheap thrills and I'm happy I spent the $6 or $7 on it during a sale last year.  I don't often laugh at much when I'm playing, and I had some hilarity here.

Grim.Reaper

Well, I took the plunge as expected...can't imagine I can't get $4 of fun out of it....interestingly enough, seems like I am playing this mindless games more nowadays then the games that require deep strategy and thinking.....I guess time to just blow off some steam:)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 27, 2012, 08:09:37 PM
Well, I took the plunge as expected...can't imagine I can't get $4 of fun out of it....interestingly enough, seems like I am playing this mindless games more nowadays then the games that require deep strategy and thinking.....I guess time to just blow off some steam:)

Certainly the game is all about action, but there are some thinking elements to it.  Mostly tactical.  What vehicle to use to attack strong points?  Scouting enemy bases to determine best entry points etc. 

I am not a twitch jockey, so some of the timed missions really didn't sit well with me, but other than that, it was a blast.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Grim.Reaper

So far I am loving it and just after finishing the tutorial mission, think I already got my $4 out of it!  Glad I made the purchase.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 28, 2012, 11:45:41 AM
So far I am loving it and just after finishing the tutorial mission, think I already got my $4 out of it!  Glad I made the purchase.

You're making me want to fire it up again... ;D
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 28, 2012, 11:45:41 AM

After you get off the initial tutorial "rails", and when the whole sandbox opens up, it can get pretty crazy. 

There are tons of funny Just Cause 2 videos on YouTube.  I even saw some reviewer made a whole write-up featuring his no-look-back explosion screenshots and vids.  The world (island) is your oyster to toss out of a moving vehicle and drag by a line, behind it, into a building.  ;D

Arctic Blast

And by the way, you CAN get up on one of those airliners flying waaayyyyyyyy up high.  ;)

JasonPratt

Getting past the rails tutorial portion is important. The game's story is 80s action-movie weak, but it's a satire of that kind of movie so that ought to be expected.

Game map is mindbreakingly huge (for an over-the-shoulder shooter), 20x20 miles on a side: the only two larger modern game maps I know of are one of the Dirt games (freestyle desert racing) and LotROnline. Tons of things to blow up, shoot and ride, plenty of wry humor, scads of environmental variety. I'd say well worth the value at full original price; $4 is insane.

Admittedly, it probably works better on a console (I played mine on PS3). But where else can you grapple/glide around like Batman while dual-shooting Uzis?? NO THE HELL WHERE, THAT'S WHERE!!!  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!