Supreme Ruler: Cold War - fixed?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 29, 2012, 09:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I see they've got it on sale on Gamersgate for $4.99.  I am interested in it but I've neverplayed any of the Supreme Ruler games before.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the AI wasn't very good and that the Cold War almost always went hot within in first 5 years so there isn't much in the way of diplomacy, espionage, or proxy wars.

Anyone play it?  Comments please.

Nefaro

I've not tried it since the first post-release update.  But if the Dev responses to suggestions about the game slowdown over time (along with various other issues and missing features) is any indication - it will never be what I would consider finished.  The lead guy (IIRC) just seems to think that it's perfect and that the problems with the game aren't really problems at all.

It's got one helluva learning cliff, and admittedly has an excellent range of Diplomacy options & economic girth to it.  But that can only keep you interested for a short period of time before the issues with SR increasingly disappoint you.  :-\  I hear you might be able to get 6 or 8 years into the Cold War before the slowdown bogs the game so much that it becomes nigh unplayable.  Which sucks because I'd like to see the whole Cold War period being playable.  The content for that is mostly there, but continual game performance and the AI never decommissioning their droves of military equipment dictates that your game will never finish.

I'd like to recommend SR:Cold War but I just can't since, AFAIK, the updates never quite fixed it up to be where it should have been.  Perhaps for $5, you can get some enjoyment out of the few years in the early 50s, still, if you realize that it can disappoint you in some areas.  Who knows.. maybe they released some super awesome patch that fixed a lot of stuff since I last tried it.  *shrug*

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nefaro

For one thing, I just don't think their Supreme Ruler game engine will ever get any better until the developers finally figure out that they need to consolidate the immense amount of military units into fewer, but larger ones.  Or make 'containers' where the current smaller ones must be placed.  Because the massive amount of military units is only helping the quick slowdown of the game.

But, as with other suggestions, they would rather the thing bogs down than adjust their vision of how massive they want it to be.