Main Menu

A new Elite game

Started by Zulu1966, November 06, 2012, 04:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Quote from: Nefaro on November 07, 2012, 03:44:32 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 07, 2012, 01:39:54 AM
At least one project I know of has already failed, incidentally, after having been fully funded.  It does happen.

I guess that I'm just concerned about this route being used to fleece people out of a quick load of cash.  It's obviously an open opportunity for such.  I'm not seeing the creator of Elite is going to do that, in this example.  Just that it will happen, and with increasing frequency, once some less scrupulous characters decide to cash out early.

Yes - totally understand what you are saying. But I think if it was joe bloggs coming along asking for 1 or 2 million then he would end up whistling dixie - its precisely because this guy - and others - have a reputation that they are able to target that sum. I believe the large target projects are more the exception than the rule (and a lot of those have generally exceeded the target sum they originally asked for so its not like they were unrealistic in the first place) - and I wonder what mileage someone out to con people who had no rep would actually get. I think the "public" are more cautious and savvy than that - even though the amount they are risking is so small.

And the project that I think huw referred to as failing - generally bought about an incredibly responsible approach from the developer and an equally adult response from those who had backed it. I know of one maybe two projects that were iffy tried to get funding on kickstarter and they were sniffed out very quickly.

I still think that those projects who have raised millions are exceptional - and mostly come about because of nostalgia for an earlier game.  Given how long kickstarter has been going I am suprised more projects havent fallen on their face and that bodes well. I guess in the end if projects do start to fail then what may be seen is the need for a higher standard of "proof" for the concept before people start funding it - either in the pitch - or from kickstarter themselves as they need to defend their IP if it happens.

All in all though I think kickstarter is a boon for indie developers and projects. For me the less suits involved in gaming the better.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Nefaro

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 07, 2012, 05:11:20 AM

All in all though I think kickstarter is a boon for indie developers and projects. For me the less suits involved in gaming the better.

Yes, indeed.  That makes it all worthwhile.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Arctic Blast

Yeah, this campaign is thus far evidence of why developers use PR firms...he seems completely clueless about how to sell this.