Vassal opponent?

Started by DicedT, February 18, 2012, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I've never really tried Vassal. It looks like a clunky way to play, but a lot of grogs swear by it, so maybe I'm missing something. Anyone want to teach the system to a newbie?

Michael

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Funny thing, I was just thinking I'd try a couple of turns of Patton's Best this morning.
I've checked it out and tried a few Solitaire games for a couple of rounds but never played another person.
My problem is that when I'm home I have constant family distractions and can't stay in front of the computer
long enough to play more than a turn or two every couple of hours. I do want to try a more traditional PBEM
type session sometime maybe. No meaningful tips to pass on yet though. What I know is probably what you
know already if you have it installed and you've D/Led a module for a game you know . Most of the actual
playing looks very straight forward. It's module design that looks more intimidating.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

What games to you guys want to play on VASSAL?

I'm farily versed on the in's and out's. I usually play LnL's Band of Heroes series with VASSAL both live with Skype and PBEM.

A Skype session is usually a lot easier to explain how VASSAL work but it can be done using the chat function.

We could set up a session with a game that most know and then have as many people as are interested join in to learn/watch/kabitz. The basics can be learned in less than an hour, as long as we're not also teach the game rules itself.

Module design can be very intimidating. But the way I learned was to reverse code existing modules. I've done a bunch of LnL's games for the owner for both play testing and for free release. I can't do any of the real fancy stuff yet, java coding, but i'm learning all the time.

DicedT

I'd like to start with something simple. Maybe War at Sea, or something like an old AH or SPI Quad Game?

Michael

Barthheart

Man, it's been years since I played War at Sea... that might be fun to try.

Let me down load the module and read my old copy of the rules and I'll get back to you.

When are you able to play? Do you want to try live or just PBEM?

bayonetbrant

I can play some live stuff online, but my availability is a bit screwy - it's actually easier for me to play during the day while I'm at the office than when I'm at home.

PBEM would work fine for me, but the pace might be too slow for others.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

What game are you interested in trying out Brant?

bayonetbrant

I'm with Michael - War at Sea is fine, but an old SPI quad would work, too.

Tank-on-Tank takes about 5 minutes to learn, so might be a decent VASSAL game to focus on VASSAL instead of game rules

Barthheart

Tank on Tank would be great game for this. I actually made that module for Mark Walker.

As for timing, to teach VASSAL we'd really have to do it live but it could all be done through the chat function.

I can play at lunchtime, 12 to 1 pm EST, or after work. (I should really be writing an engineering design note for an FEA I did on Dipole magnets right now, but it's a bit boring..)

bayonetbrant

I can do 12-1 EST (not sure Mike's out of bed by then!) but not 'til next week :)

Barthheart

Next week is fine, just let me know when you like to try it out.

I'll post some info here on how to get setup and connect in the next couple of days.

Anyone else reading this is welcome to join in and watch/ask questions.

DicedT

Actually, because defense journalism is centered on the East Coast, us Left Coasters have to get up early.

I'm open to trying it in the A.M. PST.  Not my best time, but I'll do it just to learn Vassal from Master Barthheart.

Michael

DicedT

Instead of chatting over the forum, we're going to need an email list.

Michael

Rekim

Funny to see mention of Pattons Best as I have been prepping for a game of it this weekend. It has been close to 25 years since the last time that I played it. I've had the game components sitting in a box full of baking soda for a year now to help take the musty smell down a few notches.

While I prefer to play the hard copies of my solitare games, it's great to have the option to play them on vassal on a quiet graveyard shift or on the road.

As for learning Vassal, 99% of the interface/mechanics that are used while playing are specific to each game module. This means there is a learning process for each new game. It is an awesome system and well worth the effort.

Perhaps I'll have to get in on the action...